How close is your NBN?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian Member

and as I'm going to continue to point out for the benefit of others even if not yourself, you're conveniently assuming that every failure to show for a scheduled appointment is down to a dodgy contractor. if you prefer to stick to entrenched belief and refuse to believe that there might be other causes to consider, or that the industry might, you know, have learned, then by all means continue to ignore reality.

Optus, as SupremeMoFo said. the only time NBN will contact you is for a call-on-approach, or to let you know they are running late, or for an on-the-day reschedule.

the time they gave you is correct, but they still haven't corrected the mash-the-keyboard contact number they provided, so no doubt ir0nhide will be along shortly to blame NBN for not complying with this request from the access seeker:

Hi Team,

Please call the EU before coming

Regards
    xxxxxx

2. BuD

BuD Member

just be aware on 100mbit plans ( if you actually get that speed )
    if you steam a lot of video ( youtube, netflix ect ) it will chew through that 500gig each way to sunday in no time especially if you have 4k tv and use netflix 4k/hdr stream

3. caspian

caspian Member

I have a 100Mbps service at home. I get all of my entertainment online, never watch TV. my wife streams everything she wants to see. my average monthly usage for the last 5 months is 186GB with a high of 224GB over christmas.

4. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Hmm, don't think I ever said that every failure to show was a dodgy contractor. I was pointing out that they exist and continue to operate despite denials of reality as you so put.

There are certainly valid reasons for missed appointments just as there are for delays (take the QLD floods for example). However, everything is not 100% rosy. Even if on a given day 5% of people have an off day, due to volume that's a hell of a lot of installations.

5. BuD

BuD Member

that sounds incredibly low nless yoru not actually getting that speeed and your streaming at 720 or so?
    netflix 4k is roughly 8gig per hour and i think its 3.5 for 1080 HD as example.
    mines burnt up fast. with the kids youtubing over holidays im at 700 gig so far and 6 days to go lol

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. caspian

caspian Member

bit congested at the moment, rush hour on the net. http://www.speedtest.net/result/6214151828

I watch youtube at max res. the Kodi box probably chews up an additional 50GB or so but then again I'm not downloading TV episodes with Sickbeard now SWMBO just streams what she wants.

the Netflix is what's eating your usage, I'd say.

7. BuD

BuD Member

yeah im watching mostly the HDR 4k streams of netflix and amazon
    i have downloaded 3 games for the xbox one S to so thats probably 150 gig right there

8. scips

scips Member

3rd appointment come and gone without any sign of NBN contractor :sick:

Telstra actually doing a decent job at keeping me happy, so far theyve given me +25gb 4g data on my regular mobile, and since that got used over the past week (remote tech) they got me to go grab a prepaid 4gx hotspot (and will reimburse) and are just topping it up 10gb at a time.

Casp: feel like checking the excuses for mine? :rolleyes:
    All I know is its not weather, have had gas/sparkies digging around and climbing in roof spaces where I live, perfect weather for it ;)

9. caspian

caspian Member

sure, let's do it. I'll need your addy and any times/dates they told you.

10. Asako

Asako Member

I thiiink there was some cable being laid in my street last week. Not entirely sure. A bunch of "Ventia" people were doing stuff. But they had Telstra bollards. Didn't touch the pits at all, was a few meters in front of the line the phone pits run along my street. No trenching being done though, was a big truck drilling down one end of the block and a crew up the other end, with a couple holes along the way.

Gas mains are also being done in my town at some point in the future, so it could be something to do with them, but I'm not sure why they'd be using Telstra bollards around the holes they dug if that were the case. NBNco site is useless as ever, and I haven't found anything about it from googling.

11. caspian

caspian Member

OK scips, I did some reading. sorry for the wall of text.

something that needs to be understood first - when an access raises a request with NBN (typically for a service connection or a fault investigation) they are asked to reserve an appointment slot in case an NBN tech needs to attend. there are guidelines given for when this should be done, and when it should not. for instance, if it's a new install where the in-premises cabling hasn't been done yet, you always need an appointment.

some case are less clear cut, such as fault investigations. nobody knows if a tech needs to go to the house until some investigation is done, so what happens is the access seeker is asked to reserve an appointment slot, but that's absolutely not a guarantee that an NBN tech will be going out there in that time. once NBN has done their investigation, they make a call as to yes or no for site attendance required. if yes, they progress the appointment to a state that confirms a tech will be attending as reserved, and the access seeker is notified of that. if no, the appointment reservation is cancelled, and again the access seeker is notified. there's also a "dead man's switch" so the appointment expires automatically if it's not progressed by NBN before a drop-dead time, which is the minimum lead time required to actually communicate to a contractor that they need to attend.

there are other reasons an appointment might not go ahead too, as you'll see shortly.

the upshot of this though, is that the access seeker is only ever negotiating a timeframe with the end user that's suitable for an NBN tech to attend if required, but that's not a guarantee that it's going to happen until NBN confirm it's so. the access seeker is supposed to communicate this and any updates to their end user, if they are giving the end user the wrong impression as to what a reserved appointment means, or not doing follow ups on status updates, that's their fault.

so what happened in this instance?

the access seeker originally ordered an installation on Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM with what's called an "accelerated lead time", which is basically a request to jump the queue. naturally enough, you can't just have an accelerated lead time just because you want one - there has to be an acceptable reason. typically that means a business grade SLA or a medical priority service was ordered. neither was the case in this instance. the access seeker was told this, the accelerated appointment was cancelled, and the access seeker was told to make a new appointment within the business rules. they didn't tell you that, did they?

the access seeker then made another appointment, this time for Thursday, 6 April 2017, 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM. again, they requested an accelerated lead time. again, it was rejected because they hadn't ordered the required business grade SLA or a medical priority service. access seeker was again informed of the appointment cancellation, why, and told to make a valid appointment. they still didn't tell you it was them that screwed up, right? just blamed NBN for missing the attendance.

the access seeker then made a third appointment for Thursday, 13 April 2017, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM, and what do you know - yet again they asked for accelerated lead time, and yet again it was cancelled, for precisely the same reasons as before.

so gazing into my crystal ball, there will be at least a fourth appointment made, and if they fuck it up again the same as the last three times, a fifth. assuming you haven't gotten jack of them and gone to someone more competent, anyway.

those contractors who don't show up are bastards, eh ir0nhide?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  12. [AFX]Northy

[AFX]Northy Member

Is there any way to tell when they are going to turn on my NBN? The guys have been out and put the HFC box on the external wall but it seems like each month I check for the eta it gets delayed by a month.

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

An update on mine. NBN techs turned up for their appointment on the 19th, 3 hours early without notice.

They inspected.. I'm told its a 100m run from a power pole on the other side of the street (HFC). However, apparently the pits, 2 on the other side of the road and one against my front wall, are too small. So now its been referred to another team to install new pits.

The older of the two Punjabi's (rude prick he was, ignored me most of the time I spoke to him) told me a couple of days before the other guys turned up to fix the pits. The younger, quite friendly and informative sidekick told me it would be more like a week if I'm lucky.

Then of course I guess I'll have to make another installation appointment....

14. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

The lazy ones sure are. Lucky I never tarred them all with the same brush, eh?

15. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

The alternative situation for a fault being logged is that after NBN advise the access seeker an appointment needs to be reserved because they have investigated it, the access seeker reserves an appointment. NBN don't confirm the appointment within 24 hours (the "sunset period") and it gets automatically cancelled because NBN don't get to it in time even though the reserved appointment is more than 24hrs away. The access seeker then has to reserve another appointment because if it passes the sunset period and get cancelled, NBN will make zero effort to fix this for the access seeker, despite being the ones who told the access seeker the appointment was required.

16. caspian

caspian Member

if so, NBN wears the SLA breach as a penalty. nobody wants that, least of all NBN, so if it happens it's because there wasn't an alternative.

there's no way of fixing it, the appointment gets released back into the pool quite deliberately so it can be reused, if it's taken by someone else then it's gone and not there to allocate - techs don't come out of thin air. if it's past the point-of-no-return for scheduling the actual work then there's nothing left to rescue anyway.

17. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

It honestly sounds like NBN wrote themselves into a purposeless SLA black hole here. If I was booking an appointment a week away, there's no need for the appointment to expire from reservation status within 24hrs.

Most of the time when this happened, I just reserved it for the same timeslot (it usually wasn't gone) and then called through to the NBN callcentre to get it booked in. NBN could've done this themselves if they got to it before I did, but NBN does not do that.

My other favourite was the NBN portal was offering Saturday fault restoration appointments for some services and then just never sending the technician on the day because the service didn't have the appropriate SLA for it. No one on NBN's side ever identified this though, we just learned to not book Saturday appointments.

18. caspian

caspian Member

I just explained it, not defending it.

the portal just offers appointments. it's up to you to select the one appropriate for the SLA. same as the muppets who kept picking the incorrect one for scips's install. maybe it should screen them by applicability for SLA type.

at the same time, maybe it should also prevent access seekers from picking out-of-SLA appointments, ignoring the click-through "hey dumbass this is out of SLA" notification... and then bitching later that the service didn't get fixed until... out of SLA! :rolleyes: used to get this *all* the time, so glad I'm nowhere near that side of the business anymore.

19. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Oh, I loved the out of SLA warning pop-up when it was the first available appointment :lol:

Personally I didn't care what the first available appointment was for fault restoration. It is what it is. It was never like, say, Telstra, where it could be weeks away. It was almost never more than 3 business days. Good enough. Because I was only ever dealing with residential grade services, the customer was told for all intents and purposes there may as well be no SLA for all the good it would do them.

Yes, the portal absolutely should not offer appointments that will not be attended because of SLA mismatches. It's just asking for trouble. Ask the question the other way. What purpose is there for offering an appointment that the SLA does not allow for? It's designed to fail.

20. caspian

caspian Member

then have your account manager put the suggestion forward to their CDM. that's the channel for that sort of feedback.