How close is your NBN?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Akh-Horus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Is there a service & access easement over the shared driveway, is it Lot 0 / Common property or does your Lot and her lot split the the driveway down the middle?

As far as I'm aware you will only need the neighbor's consent if the driveway is in Lot 0 / Common Property and subject to a Community Title scheme (at least that's the Ald terminology).

If it's covered by an easement then you will need to check the conditions, however they should be designed for unrestricted access by both parties in the shared area. Sometimes it's an access only easement though and as the conditions don't mention services you will have to negotiated separately.

2. Asako

Asako Member

I haven't seen any pillars around. Just two big ol green boxes, one on my street (~280m down the road) and one on the main drag a few streets over. It's not due to go live here til ~late oct/nov, so it's not on that map.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

That's an excellent question which I am unable to answer :lol:
    Investigations are beginning..

4. mareke

mareke Member

If the green boxes aren't new they would be for underground power. Green node boxes are always near pillars which are torpedo shaped metal structures which were built when the phone system was built. My suburb isn't due for NBN for a couple of years but there is a pillar servicing all of the houses for about a square kilometre and it is about 600 metres from my townhouse so NBN speed for my townhouse should be reasonably good. My current ADSL2 service is good because the telephone exchange is 600 metres on the other side of the pillar so I'm not hanging out for NBN.

There has to be a pillar somewhere in your neighbourhood. Find it and measure the distance to your house and you'll get an idea of what your NBN service will be like. I have an investment property which is over 4 km from the telephone exchange so ADSL2 must have been awful but FTTN has been active for some time now and the pillar is 30 metres from the house with the green node box on the other side of the pillar around the corner about 100 metres away. This means that NBN speed at my investment property should be as good as FTTN gets i.e. 100 MBS download and 40 MBS upload. My tenants who have rented the house for around 10 years have gone from what must have been terrible ADSL2 to NBN FTTN as good as it gets.

5. Asako

Asako Member

The boxes are new. It was a recent build. Month or so ago. I know what phone pillars look like; used to have them on most blocks when I lived in Canberra, but here I've seen absolutely nothing like them.

6. mareke

mareke Member

Node boxes without a pillar like the one in the photo near them makes no sense to me.

Click to view full size!

7. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Called Internode to find out what's going on, gonna have a tech come out on the 19th between 7 and 2.

Slightly annoying but whatever, hopefully I wont be stuffed around with this but who the hell knows :mad:, was hoping it would be this week.

8. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

sadly i agree. i've had 3 NBN appointments so far and all three 'techs' were of the subcontinent. the first two had zero idea what they were doing from a technical point of view. the third was actually a proper technician and actually made progress. it's reminiscent of the pink bats shit that went on, really.

now, having said that, the last appointment was two weeks ago and i havent heard anything from anyone since about a next appointment. looks like its time to call the telco again and chase it up :tired::tired::tired:

9. caspian

caspian Member

I'm in a different office today catching up with a team I lead technically, the three SMEs (which I picked) are all Indian, and very good at their jobs too. and they're all bagging out the untrained, unskilled contractors they have to deal with, regardless of their ethnicity.

10. cmi83

cmi83 Member

Yeah.. best to leave that part out imo.. plenty of improperly trained / slow / "don't really care about actually working" people in every colour, race, religion etc. :)

Wish me luck please - apparently go-live for my area is tomorrow!!! Then i'll be staring at my phone until ABB call and book in a date :thumbup:

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

Sad how when "big gov contract" comes along, it's seen by everyone as.

"I'll bid, make 500% and subbie out to 407's"

12. rogo

rogo Member

NBN connection no closer for me.

Had a reply from Telstra regarding their efforts to get me connected which supposedly details the reasons NBN have for being unable to connect me in an area which has been RFS for 10 months.

I do not know if the Telstra case manager raised an incorrect service class query with NBN but the reasons quoted by NBN do not make much sense.

I know my address is SC10, but believe this is due to an incorrect database entry.

My connection is roughly 500metres from the pillar. Obviously not too far and should supply a decent speed. A neighbour whose connection to the bundle of wires from the pillar is in the same pit as mine has the NBN connected.

Seems pretty bad planning if all node allocations are full!!!

Just do not know what "Length of the line node is not sufficient" means?

All it seems to indicate to me is that NBN do not really know why my address is SC10 and do not have the inclination to find out.

During negotiations with Telstra they agreed to send out a technician to trace my line and update the records which then should resolve the issue, but this did not happen and they have closed the complaint.

Really do not know how to chase this up now, have involved my local federal MP since last November. He wrote to the minister in July but no reply yet. Also tried a different RSP and they were also unable to elicit any serious response form NBN.

I do realise I am not alone with this issue but find it hard to believe it should be so hard to get a resolution.

13. BelowAverageIQ

BelowAverageIQ Member

I Feel your pain Rogo. I am in EXACTLY the same position as you. Well the neighbours that are connected are 1.5km away from the nearest node..........

But they are connected. I am also SC10, I too believe an incorrect database.

In saying that, it would appear when designing the NBN layout for Picton, they had no idea what they were doing, dont care and no accountability.

Wish I could get paid to do the above.

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

My original comment 'Indian Techs' was also not aimed at ethnicity, as anyone who is aware of my opinion of racism will realise. Its more about 'fly by nighters' who pop up whenever there is a buck to be made.

The same thing happened with the pink batts scheme. The scheme itself was inherently not a bad idea, stimulated the economy and saved a lot of future energy wastage, but poorly managed and thought out with a whole bunch of dodgy installers riding the cash wave.

It's coincidental that most of these teams appear to be Indian this time around, hence my generalisation. I stand by my claim that virtually all of the people who have visited my home have no fucking clue, or care factor, and are just riding the wave of cash, and in this case most of those appear to be Indians, that's all. Its a factual statement, not a racist one, in my case at least.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  15. caspian

caspian Member

a or b is the correct answer here.

c is close enough to impossible that it's not worth the consideration. you'd have a better chance of being killed by lightning. while scuba diving.

d I have no idea what that even means.

16. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

This is what happened to me, 6 months on and nothing has changed. I'm hoping I don't get kicked off my ADSL and on to wireless :sick:

17. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Why doesn't NBN Co simply just go from the first house and through the roof, and onto the second house, like the current phone line, but just use cable instead?

Surely that is much quicker and easier for difficult situations where no conduit is installed into MDUs (though they should have conduits to begin with).

Irony is FTTC would have had no issues, meh.

18. caspian

caspian Member

that would require FTTC to have been invented yet.

19. rogo

rogo Member

I have previously been told:

"as expected, it's a records issue. the records don't show intact cable paths to your address, probably because there was some weird entry in Telstra's records for your line and thus they failed the import process. your ISP needs to raise it with NBN as an incorrect service class query, it would help if they could demonstrate you have an existing service running to the house (phone, DSL etc)."

This is why it is so frustrating dealing with both Telstra and NBN, I believe the reasons they have given proves that nobody is taking this issue seriously, just plucking excuses from the script. I have asked Telstra to raise an incorrect service class query, but it seems they have ignored this.

Telstra also agreed to get a technician to trace my line and update records but this also did not get done.

I am really at a loss as to how to progress this.

The change to wireless for me is an improvement on my adsl experience, but can understand the reluctance if your adsl is good.

20. shmity

shmity Member

Just had our third HFC visit at work:
    First was: We aren't authorised to do this work
    Second was: Turns out we are authorised to do this work, theres the pit, theres your string line, its wet though so im not going to do the work
    Third was: Theres a blockage under the road, theyre going to have to come and upgrade that pit and bore under the road

Apart from the first visit, just sounds like a pain in the ass for the contractors, although miscommunication for the first one is probably also the case.