1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I deal with Telstra on this?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by JLatrobe, Nov 5, 2011.

1. JLatrobe

JLatrobe Member

Ok, I need some help. I'm not sure how I should approach this.

I'm paying for ADSL2+ service, indeed, I only signed up to the bundle I'm on due to the fact I was PROMISED three times, by three different people, that it was available.

Now, I'm AT MOST, 3kms from the exchange, and I'm basing that assumption not on line attenuation or some mumbo jumbo, I just know where there exchange is, and roughly where the lines run.

I'll copy my modem stats below. I'm convinced I'm not being provided ADSL2+, I'm getting ADSL2. I'm not reaching anywhere NEAR the speed of anyone I know on ADSL2+.

I've got good line splitters/filters on all telephones in the house (2). I run gigabit routers with cat6 cabling or Wireless N 300mbps. I don't have a fax, I've borrowed a power conditioner from work and run the modem and PC through a conditioner with everything on the same circuit turned off.

So, if anyone has the time or effort, please have a quick look at my modem stats, and my exchange, and tell me if I'm wrong. If I'm GETTING ADSL2+ service, please let me know, but as far as I'm aware, I'm on ADSL2 (Telstra can't make up their mind. Some say I'm on 2+, some say 2. Noone knows...)

I'm happy to just let it sit. The speed is fast enough, I guess, but If I was told something when I signed up, and I'm paying for it, I want it.

If I'm NOT getting the service, how should I proceed with Telstra/Bigpond?

Thanks.

Code:
    Mode:	ADSL2+ 
    Line Coding:	Trellis On 
    Link Power State:	L0 

Downstream	Upstream
    SNR Margin (dB):	6.2 	5.9 
    Attenuation (dB):	36.0 	19.3 
    Output Power (dBm):	19.2 	12.4 
    Attainable Rate (Kbps):	7588 	644 
    Rate (Kbps):	7903 	651 
    MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message):	59 	13 
    B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame):	244 	9 
    M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame):	1 	8 
    T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes):	1 	7 
    R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame):	10 	12 
    S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length):	0.9879 	3.8737 
    L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame):	2065 	190 
    D (interleaver depth):	64 	2 
    Delay (msec):	15 	1 

Super Frames:	938 	936 
    Super Frame Errors:	0 	4294722867 
    RS Words:	60918 	7956 
    RS Correctable Errors:	0 	4291422661 
    RS Uncorrectable Errors:	0 	N/A 

HEC Errors:	0 	4294734932 
    OCD Errors:	0 	0 
    LCD Errors:	0 	0 
    Total Cells:	26789635 	3254141657 
    Data Cells:	143353 	4136095916 
    Bit Errors:	0 	23659906 

Total ES:	0 	215085 
    Total SES:	0 	209 
    Total UAS:	18 	89579 

Exchange:

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/viewexchange.php?Exchange=DROM

2. Audionut

Audionut Member

Surely if you are capable of putting it in
    Code:
    , you are capable of reading it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  3. Dutch Wink

Dutch Wink Member

Mode: ADSL2+

You're getting it.

ADSL2+ is a protocol, not a speed.

For 36db, I think 8mb seems a little low, but good luck arguing that point with anyone at Bigpond. Other ISP's might be willing to listen.

4. Baboy

Baboy (Banned or Deleted)

Read the fine print.......:D
    This is from my ISPs site....Im sure Telstra have similar disclaimers :cool:
    Many variables dictate the actual speed.

5. Auriga

Auriga Member

Looks like ADSL2+ because if it was open ADSL1 your upload would be 386k. I'd strongly suggest installing a central filter and new cable from it to where ever you modem is.

6. caspian

caspian Member

you are wrong. none of Telstra's DSLAMs have ADSL2 profiles loaded on them.

even if that was the case, you are syncing at below max ADSL1 speed, so it wouldn't make any difference if you were on a port set for ADSL1, 2 or 2+.

just before you ask, I was Telstra's national DSL assurance lead for a number of years, and when I left the company I was the subject matter expert on DSL engineering and hardware at the company's Global Ops Centre, so I'm fairly sure that what I say is the case.

you build a bridge and get over it. DSL is an analogue transmission technology with performance subject to the quality of the transmission path. that's why it is emphatically referred to by all concerned (who understand what they are talking about) as up-to xMbps capability.

384Kbps. :p

the interleaving depth and associated delay would also be different.

7. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Your service isn't bad for the distance, nothing to complain about. I get similar performance on my Internode service at home at similar distance, and I've had the interior wiring redone, am using a Cisco router etc.

8. Concept CBF

Concept CBF Member

You are on ADSL+2 .
    if you are that far away from the exchange on ADSL you would not get near the maximum of ADSL of 8000kb/s and yes for ADSL+2 that is pretty damn far thus your speeds.
    I thank god i am on cable everyday ADSL is such a shit service in comparison

9. caspian

caspian Member

pity about the lack of choice in the industry though?

my new Bigpond 30Mbps fibre connection goes like a shower of shit, but not happy about being stuck with Bigpond.

10. Auriga

Auriga Member

If only you stayed, you could have had a bundle (recenlty expanded to Velocity) and 25% off and had the 100mbit instead?

11. caspian

caspian Member

my wife still works there. :D and that's before it gets fed through rem drawdown... I think I'm effectively paying about $35 a month for it, and that doesn't include the $1500 signup bonus. I won't pay a bill for 18 months.

not worth getting the 100Mbps IMO, the 30Mbps is entirely adequate to my needs.

12. Auriga

Auriga Member

I still maintain NBN should continue with the Coax free to air TV wave length, think about all the useless antena being installed...

13. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I signed up for an adsl1 connection with iinet.. about a month in, they said i could upgrade to adsl2+ .... that said, i've been connected at 22/1 ever since :)

14. caspian

caspian Member

I personally don't miss it in the slightest. it's the most sensitive (and thus fault prone) part of the system, and the hardest to troubleshoot. you need video headends to source the signal, you need to capture local channels for regions stuff like news and community broadcasts, and you need another OLT to do the RFOG overlay. all for something you can't charge for.

the only places that will be installing antennas now that will be superseded is NBN greenfields sites, and then only until multicast IPTV comes on line. even then you can't charge for FTA, but there appears to be discussions underway.

15. woodys_world69

woodys_world69 Member

Modem issue maybe?

the line seems fine........and on most modem's , choose the mode to be ADSL2+, and that covers everything from ADSL2+ down to ADSL1 Open.

Im on ADSL1 and my modem settings are for ADSL2+

16. caspian

caspian Member

ADSL2+ will sync on a Telstra port well below max ADSL1 speeds; I think 256Kbps is the lower threshold from memory. however, below 8Mbps you are generally better off on an ADSL1 modulation to maximise throughput, unless upload bandwidth or error correction to stabilise a noisy connection is the imperative.

17. Linkin

Linkin Member

You're kidding, right?

I got an 11000kbps connection with 50db of attenuation at 2.8KM cable distance in a suburb that was built on top of a riverbed. Granted, it was only ~9000kbps before they replaced most of the copper...

OP: If you have issues with the phone (hiss, static, call drops, no dial tone) keeping ringing them and complaining. You'll get the hang of talking to the robots reading off a script in the Philippines and logging a fault. Do not mention ADSL.

18. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Different lines have different performance. I used to work in the Internode helpdesk troubleshooting ADSL2+ speed issues - some lines just never produce good performance. Some (like yours) work much better than the line stats would suggest. The Internode performance graph would suggest your experience is not typical -

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/adsl_broadband/easy_broadband/performance/

19. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

The worst is lines that degrade over time. Usually it is a result of crosstalk as more people in the area get ADSL, but it was extremely difficult to convince people there isn't anything that can be done. Other times it is cable plant being rearranged to give someone a phone line and resulting in a degradation of ADSL speeds for other users. People would get rightly annoyed that their speeds got cut in half but ultimately it was not a fault you could lodge.

20. caspian

caspian Member

very correct. battle of expectations vs reality.