1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get a video to play in the background

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by lawrencep93, Jul 28, 2021.

1. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

So I have this site I use and most of the time I listen to video podcasts they host.

However every time I put another chrome window over the top of the active window, switch tabs, or put windows explore window over it, the video auto pauses.

Is there a setting in chrome or extension that can force this to just keep playing so I can work and listen in the background

2. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

If you have a keyboard with a play/pause button, does that get it going again once you switch windows?

3. philquad

philquad Member

just open chrome twice & resize them so you can see both

4. OP
    OP
    lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

I have snappy windows on my 34" ultra wide so it is a bit of a pain to do that rather I don't mind having it open just when I have a chrome tab or windows explorer in front of it then it pauses, weirdly excel, word, outlook don't seem to have an issue with the pausing

5. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Have you tried using a different browser? Using Edge (or Firefox/Opera etc) *just* for listening to Podcasts might very well solve your issue (and Edge is already sitting there waiting for you to try it out).

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Do they offer offline download of the podcasts? Can you get the podcasts via a different service?

I only listen to a handful of podcasts, but they all publish to a few different places. If one sucks, I can use another.

7. OP
    OP
    lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Good idea I might try using edge and see how we go

The issue is that part of this network they track in the app how many podcasts/videos you watch because the aim is to listen to 1hr per week of education, I was trying to blast though and catch up on the hours I am behind whilst I work away on some brain dead tasks

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This sounds unnecessarily draconian.

9. OP
    OP
    lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Tried using Edge and it pauses when I put a chrome window or windows explorer window in front of it, so a different browser didn't help unfortunately

10. alch

alch Member

What if you play it on another desktop? (virtual desktops, spose it would prolly stop playing when you switched to the other desktop)

11. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Does the website that you use have a setting that can be changed? It seems very weird that it pauses. I watch lots of youtube this way and it doesn't stop playing.

12. CRTified

CRTified Member

Link us the actual site if you like, and we'll see if there's a simple hack which will work with it specifically.

151528 likes this.
  13. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Got another device you can sit on mute rambling away?

14. 151528

151528 Member

Sounds website specific, so best way for us to help would be to check out the site ourselves