how do I make multi live VPN connections?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by ae00711, Jan 28, 2019.

1. ae00711

ae00711 Member

bet that title had you face-palmin' huh?

that's cause I have nfi what I'm talking about.. I'll try explain..

if you open up network connections on any (windows) pc, there will be a list of n of connections...

I want to have as many darn VPN connections in that list as I please, all 'live' - connected - so that I can use ForcebindIP to bind specific programs to specific VPN connections, thus routing that programs traffic thru assigned VPN.

how do I do this?

2. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

3. OP
    OP
    ae00711

ae00711 Member

stuff no!
    just sick of big corps tracking my shit, then targeting me with ads

4. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I'm not sure you will achieve what you think with the solution you're aiming for. Maybe try a security-focussed OS like Tails or IprediaOS?

5. OP
    OP
    ae00711

ae00711 Member

well it works already - I use extensions in all/most my browsers, but I want more control of the exit server(s).
    For example, NordVPN desktop app allows me to choose which Australian capital I want to exit out of, but their extension doesn't, I can only choose 'Australia' - that's it.

6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Then you need better adblockers that can block web analytics, canvas fingerprint and user agent generators.

JSmith

7. OP
    OP
    ae00711

ae00711 Member

Already running those, good ones, and it wasn't enough.. well.. it was at some stage.. story:

For a few years now I've been installing and using a truckload of browsers to 'segregate' my browsing - FB in one browser, uni stuff in another, shopping in another, ebay in another etc etc etc. And yes I dialed in browser settings + installed adblockers etc.

It worked - no targeted ads for some time.

Late last year I moved house, and had to change ISP. I am both cynical and suspicious.. I personally suspect my ISP / whoever owns the line that my ISP uses, sells usage info - I started getting targeted ads again, despite my elaborate multi-browser, with adblockers etc, set-up. I then resorted to installing VPN extensions from the three VPN services I'm subscribed to. No more targeted ads.

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

typically a VPN connection will forcibly take over the whole PC it's running on (it's by design to secure all your traffic, by taking over the default route), some VPNs can be configured to only secure certain routes (IP subnet end-points, and not the default route), this is all controlled by the VPN host however, unlikely you will have the control needed to do that.

the solution if you don't have control over what routes the VPN secures, is VM's each VM has a different VPN client in it, and that VM's entire traffic is secured.
    you could then either install each app in each VPN. job done.

otherwise you need to set up complex routing tables, so the application X's traffic uses VPN X as it's default route, application Y uses VPN Y etc. etc.

it'll be a cluster fuck of complexity unless you're really good with networking, and have suitable gear that can do it (or want to set up a linux/BSD server to act as the router to control all those disparate routes).

best option virtualise/containerise each application and it's appropriate VPN.

9. OP
    OP
    ae00711

ae00711 Member

mm..

well..

I am upgrading from 72GB to 96GB RAM soon.. I may do that, seeing as I'll have enough RAM to do so

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Whilst that's fine, I think you need to start weight up the effort to effectiveness ratios of what you want to do.

You controlling exit nodes isn't going to help if you're actually using your email address somewhere, for example. Put that into a site, site gets compromised, then your email address is out there for the SPAM bots to scrape. See sites like https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Likewise if you browse OCAU, you're going to get Australian tech ads. Ditto for any other site that's audience specific, regardless of your exit node IP.

What you're building here is a case of personal paranoia rather than efficient ad blocking. Get yourself a privacy focused VPN line ProtonVPN, privacy focused email like ProtonMail or Tutanota, turn on ad/script blocking, and be done with it. Same thing I've said to others obsessed with this:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/17945352/

I don't even do that much (GMail customer, Google own my arse), and with some very basic filtering reduce the advertising I see to near zero.

There have been several posts like these on OCAU in the last year, and all of them ended the same way - with the OP becoming frustrated with their limited options. If you genuinely want a zero Internet footprint, get off the Internet. But remember that 80% of Silicon Valley are genius level folk getting paid high 6 figures to find ways to automate tracking and deliver ads to your eyeballs. So if you think a couple bits of software are going to help you stay invisible, think again. You can minimise and mitigate, but I repeat - if you want zero Internet footprint, get off the Internet.

I repeat - consider the cost effectiveness of what you're trying to do. If you've got cash to burn, great. Otherwise this is a lot of money thrown away in the name of paranoia with a "solution" that's ineffective.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  11. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Either install Qubes Os or combine network namespaces with VRF/routing domains

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, that's the other bit. If people are genuinely concerned about privacy, they aren't running Windows.

All this hoopla over multiple VPN connections when your OS is reporting back to the corporate mothership is missing the point of putting in effort to gain back your privacy.

13. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

If you're using Windows and you're that paranoid then you've already lost.