How do you justify paying 42% more for a 'Strix' ? [RTX 2070 Super]

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by BenD., Sep 9, 2019.

?

What would you buy?

1. The entry level card just for bang / buck ratio.

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Something more premium for peace of mind.

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. The fanciest one I can find because that's just how I roll.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. None of the above.

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. BenD.

BenD. New Member

Been doing a lot of homework recently on GPUs for a new build after being out of the loop since the the last GPU I bought (GTX1070)

Have sort of settled on a RTX 2070 Super but it's not a hill I would die on if anyone has better suggestions.

As I narrow down to which exact model I should fork out for, I've noticed there is a HUGE price gap between the 'entry level' and 'premium' models.

I'm in Melbourne and just hunting around at a few of the local stores in my Area there's Colorful branded 2070 Supers for $750 (found via Ozbargain) with decent looking aftermarket coolers, then there's the Asus Strix Advanced for $1099 at PCCG (my usual go-to), with a bunch of MSI's, Inno3D's and Gigabyte's in between.

From the cheapest (Colorful) to the most expensive (Asus Strix) the price jumps 42% and the benifits seem to be RGBs, a 60MHz factory overclock and little nicer looking cooler. Same 3 year warranty, same free game promo, same Nvidia GPU.

At first the Colorful branding had me thinking it's a cheap generic and should run for the hills, but after a bit of googling they seem to have a decent rep and I'm tempted to give them a go.

Sorry about the post length, just wanted some feedback to justify my purchase. Don't want to drop the cash and having immediate second thoughts~! Am I just a cheapskate or does the smart money go for the cheaper card here?

2. Azzan

Azzan Member

I think entry model is fine for RTX2070 Super but personally I'd spend little more($40-$50) and get better model, cos imo it's worth spending extra $40 for Gigabyte Gaming OC over Gigabyte Windforce OC because you get 25+% larger heatsink/fan and extra 1 year warranty.
    I also think it's worth spending extra $50 for MSI Gaming X over MSI Ventus because you get 75+% larger heatsink/fan.

3. OP
    OP
    BenD.

BenD. New Member

At what point is it not worth it? Which specific model of RTX 2070 Super would you go for if you were buying one today?

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

The top of the line one... for the e-peen.

5. danyell

danyell Member

keeping in mind this gen is even more dependent on lower temperatures to achieve higher boost clocks

when thermal limits are hit, performance drops away. its all very well saying something is clocked at xxxx MHz but if that suddently becomes 20, 30% less when loaded hard, what's the point?

also think about the potential pain of warranty issues through a rando company like Colorful. Although some of the bigger players don't necessarily make that easy either with painful RMA processes.

6. OP
    OP
    BenD.

BenD. New Member

Had crossed my mind, but I've only been unlucky enough to had a single GPU die on me. Was an EVGA (GTX670) and took 5 weeks to RA. Store said it went back to Taiwan for repair but I ended up with a refurb instead. I guess if you accept that as par for the course, how much worse can it get? Probably worth the gamble..

7. Azzan

Azzan Member

Gigabyte Windforce OC - $755(only cos 15% discount) but looks like it expired last night.. https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/481802
    - nvm you can still get Windforce for $752 through this link, https://www.ebay.com.au/p/GIGABYTE-...7SWF3OC-8GC/6034048286?iid=263571552835&rt=nc
    - actually scratch that, I think MSI Ventus OC for $766 is the best deal you can get atm. It's better than Windforce so worth paying extra $14. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Msi...261064?hash=item2882aff388:g:wWsAAOSwy-ddbGPo

But I'd rather pick MSI Gaming X, IF I could get 15% discount on any model.
    [​IMG]

Windforce is only ~1300cm3 and Gaming X is ~2620cm3.. they are both rated 215W TDP so you know which one will run much cooler and quieter.
    Is it worth spending extra $60 on MSI Gaming X over the Gigabyte Windforce? IMO definitely yes..

p.s.
    - You can always get AMD 5700XT blower instead IF you are deaf and need free heater cos it's gonna run even hotter and noiser than RTX2070 Super Windforce.
    - AMD Bonus: no RTX features & random crash. :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    BenD. likes this.
  8. nope

nope Member

lma0 1.1k for a 2070s? i got a 2080ti for 300 bucks more tf

9. Azzan

Azzan Member

lol did you get the C̶r̶a̶p̶f̶o̶r̶c̶e̶Winforce model?

10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/best-gpu-brands.3079834/

i'd be interested to hear real world experience and data on longevity.
    by brand and no doubt some specific models might be badly designed or not.

Gigabyte have lasted the test of time as a company while others have gone the way of the dodo.
    MSI seem to have upped their game to compete with ASUS/giga.
    EVGA i'd definitely give a go too. haven't as yet. i've never bought an ASUS grfx card. but have exclusively stuck to ASUS motherboards.

ive owned sapphire/galax and powercolor cards. dont really know about their longevity because ive sold them all...bar one. a galax. which i stopped using in 2012.
    i'm partial to GB grfx cards these days. but no real world experience over any length of time with them.

hanging out to see what EVGA bring out for 5700/XT cards.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  11. power

power Member

ASUS are better quality, but Gigabyte offer excellent value. It's one of the reasons i tend to chop between them in GPU's but i wouldn't touch a Gigabyte mobo with a bargepole. MSI used to be total garbage but they've really upped their game (and marketing).

12. Radley

Radley Member

If you're water cooling it doesn't matter, but if you have a shitty case with shitty airflow you'll need to fork out for the one with the best cooler.

13. OP
    OP
    BenD.

BenD. New Member

Fair point. I'm tossing up between the very cheap PB15 from Silverstone in a mATX build, although there is both GPU and CPU cooler clearance issues to tango with, or the Fractal Design Meshify if a go with a cooler and GPU too large to fit in the Silverstone.

Not overly worried about aesthetics, just want good airflow. Would rather sink more of my budget in GPU/CPU/RAM/SSD and tuck the rest away under the desk where it'll never been seen anyway.

14. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

whats the deal with gb motherboards?

15. power

power Member

no real recent experience, but they used to be trash.

16. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

for the price they're charging for premium boards id hope they have upped their game...:Paranoid:

17. Azzan

Azzan Member

adamsleath likes this.
  18. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

When you hate the noise from the cheap one, so you spend $120 on a third party cooler + $70 for fans for the cooler, and now it takes up 4 slots and you should've just went with a better one to begin with.

I would buy an XC Ultra.

19. Azzan

Azzan Member

Also think I always worry about the resale value subconsciously(probably cos I upgrade very often).. and there's no guarantee that you'll get extra $60 on MSI Gaming X over Gigabyte Windforce when you sell the card, but you should def be able to sell it easier at higher price.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    nope likes this.
  20. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

I am tempted by the $766 MSI Ventus OC card. At this stage though, is it better to wait for Black Friday?

EDIT: Also, no one seems thrilled about the cooling performance of the 2070 Ventus cards...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019