How do you make caramel from condensed milk?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Slurry, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Slurry

Slurry Member

G'day all,
    I recall that you can make kick ass caramel by boiling a (sealed) can of condensed milk in a sauspan of water. It has been a VERY long time since I've done this.

Can anyone tell me how long to boil for to avoid exploding the can? Any other advice or exploding caramel stories welcome!

Dave

2. Epoch

Epoch 41p4x0r

Last edited: Aug 19, 2002
  3. Hyper

Hyper Member

I certainly wouldn't reccomend you boiling an unopened can of condensed milk...

4. Phreeky

Phreeky Member

You would think it would kinda, pop wouldn't ya

5. Tori Lee

Tori Lee Member

I have. This method of making dulce de leche is very popular in my area of the world, and the "exploding can" story is a common one. In fact, a friend of mine claims that he "was just checking on it" and nearly missed a geyser of dulce that ended up making a permanent stain on the ceiling.

From another site:

6. Epoch

Epoch 41p4x0r

I'd try it myself, but the only can of condensed milk I can find in the house has a ring-pull top... and there's no way in hell that I'm going to boil that.

7. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

nestle cans don't have a ring pull.

but then again i do live out in the sticks. lol maybe they've started using ring pulls and we haven't got them yet? :p

8. Imitation

Imitation Member

No you're right.. nestle cans suck.

If you use the wrong kind of can opener (the ones that cut the whole top off of the can instead of cutting the lid off) the can splits down the seam and shit goes everywhere.. from experience :)

remember.. if you burn the shit DON'T scrape the bottom.. leave it :) unless you want to eat charcoal.

9. Binky's Owner

Binky's Owner Member

An elderly neighbor was cooking caramel like this once (boiled can) and I think she got occupied with a book or something, and the entire kitchen surface, I'm talking walls, floors, ceiling was absolutely covered in specks of caramel.

Gave the poor lady one heck of a scare and I imagine if she was standing in the kitchen at the time it really wouldn't have been cool.

-Binky

10. Draebor

Draebor Member

my grandmother used to make this stuff, and theres a sure way to make it safe and protect your kitchen from messy caramel explosions.

use a pressure cooker to boil it in, then leave the can in the pressure cooker to cool down overnight...

11. Doc

Doc Member

I have boiled tins of SCM many times and have never had an explosion. Better to medium heat it for a longer time than full boar for a short time.

Ring-pulls....now that's another story.

Doc.

12. oldskoolbreakz

oldskoolbreakz Member

i make caramel by boiling SCM for 4 hours - the main thing to keep in mind is the fact that 4 hours to boil a gas stove is about as expensive as buying a whole crap load of caramel Mc.sunday's, and scraping of the caramel into an empty SCM can.......... but if your living at your parents (like me) BOIL AWAY :D

13. ravag3

ravag3 Member

Why would you want to make anything out of condensed milk??

Sif you can stand not eating it from the can until you canna take any more captian :)

14. Draebor

Draebor Member

*drools* hmmmmm SCM straight from the can.....

15. aTz

aTz Member

Make sure all the water don't evaporate while doing this, unless you want caramel wallpaper.

Save yourself the hazard, and buy Nestle Top'n Fill

16. Iceman

Iceman Member

Seriously, why would you bother risking a carmelised kitchen when you can just BUY carmel in a can from nestle? :)

17. mitt

mitt Member

Because the pre-made cans are more expensive and taste funny compared to your homemade stuff I make caramel like this all the time. Plus it’s something to do when your reeeeely bored or need an excuse for not wanting to go and do something. I have to stay here I got caramel cooking."

The only time when it went wrong is when I was using a pull top and used a 5l pot so I wouldn’t have to top it up, I just set it on high and left. BAD IDEA 4 hours later I heard a loud thump which was the can lid popping out and knocking the pot over spilling what hadn’t boiled off of the water and the caramel all over the floor and cupboards. I was just happy the outher 2 cans in there dident go off aswell :) .