How do you use your remaining mobile data at eom?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Yoodaa, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

So I am curious how you use your mobile data up with caps getting as big as they are... Given the primary value of the plans now seems to be data, are you getting your monies worth and if so, how?

I would love to donate my renaming data at eom like optus do but sadly I am on Telstra and I dont believe they offer it.

2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Telstra banks your data I think

3. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

I get 80Gb/m with Optus for $45.

I don't use it all, but I can do essentially whatever I need to and not run out.

4. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Can’t say I’ve had remaining data in the 9 months I’ve been on Telstra.

It’s so good I got rid of Optus mobile and my wired internet connection to exclusively use my phone for internet.

Actually going up to more data when my contract is up in 3 months..

Always find a way to use more data though, but some suggestions: torrents, YouTube, updating games, Netflix and just whatever else I can IF any data is left.

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

I never use it up, or even use any of it, most of the time.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't get roll overs, and I never get through my current 2.5G of data per month, so not really something I worry about.

Certainly happy that I'm getting my monies worth with my currently cheap plan.

7. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I use nothing but mobile data, as when I go onto the home wifi it slows the whole network (back ups on wifi). Now we're on NBN that might change, but I don't get anywhere close to using it all.

What do you mean by donate your data? Who do you donate it to?

8. power

power Member

fucking heaps, since i got this 35gb cap i'm not even close. Currently used 1.7gb and halfway through the month. still happy on a Telstra BYOD $49 plan. what do i do with it? nothing, who cares.

9. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Back in the olden days of low cap fixed internet you would 'save up' your data for the end of the month (mostly so you didn't get speed capped) then let it download all the things in the last few days and not care if/when you got speed capped. Mobile data always came with excess usage so it wasn't used the same way, although I'm sure some people would use the same sort of technique to download stuff because they could.

For most people (including myself) I would guess they are on very high or unlimited fixed broadband so do whatever they want at home on WiFi most of the time so don't really care about mobile data as long as it works when they are out. Of course I'm sure there is a subset of people who are living purely on mobile data and might be using the 'save up' approach to things at the end of the period, but I would also guess these are in the minority.

I have a data pool of 50GB across all the devices in our family, I think we are lucky to use 10GB doing pretty much whatever we want when out. If we go away on a holiday we can tear through much more (40GB+) but we are also usually a little more (slightly) mindful of not attempting to download the world while out.

10. power

power Member

really!? I've literally never done this.

11. syx

syx Member

really!? I literally did this.

Lord Belial likes this.
  12. power

power Member

i have always chosen a plan adequate for my needs, maybe that's why i've never done it.

13. miicah

miicah Member

So you never had to deal with ridiculously low caps in the early days of ADSL? I remember rejoicing when Internode upped all it's plans to 100gb/month...

firey4059 likes this.
  14. power

power Member

i've had tons of data for ages. Signed up for 150gb in 2008 and that was plenty at the time, shifted to 200 in 2010 and then 500 about 12 months later been on that ever since.

all plans no uploads counted. i've always prioritised having an ample amount of data. maybe that's just me.

15. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Ha! 100GB...

I remember paying by the hour for dial up then moving to a permanent ADSL connection which was just magical but brought in data limits. I don't recall how small a limit we ever had, but I do recall a 3GB Telstra cap at one point (in the days were there were no other options or higher plans)

16. power

power Member

i hated dsl, moved to it from unlimited Optus cable.

17. sanjay

sanjay Member

when I first got ADSL in the early 00s i was with Adam Internet and they had a cap of 4gb per week (week!) - with speeds slowed from 256k to 64k thereafter.

256k was hardly a rocketship speed in itself.

im on an optus plan, 80gigs and $41.25 per month. i probably use about 5 gigs a month. Occasionally though I need to use the data share sim in my work laptop or tether to something and I'm glad i have the extra data. but it's nice to not have to worry about it anymore.

18. Hater

Hater Member

I do the opposite. Due to the plethora of WiFi everywhere, I went to Vaya. $6 per month, 500mb data.

If I go over 500mb, an extra GB costs $10

So all in all, every month I pay either $6 or $16 a month :)

I used to pay $80 a month for 2GB. Heh.

19. Tinian

Tinian Member

+1 for nothing. It's not like I could donate it to the poor.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

my first DSL service was 256k down, and had a 2GB quota. was ridiculous, blew it in the first night. speeds have always far exceeded quotas.