How does Apple hardware hold its value so well?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Myne_h, Oct 24, 2017.

1. scips

scips Member

Quality chassis (on the macbook range, ipad/iphone is just the same crap as every other tablet/phone out there with bending/shattering

The hardware is the same crap manufactured in the same factories as everyone else in china.

2. Perko

Perko Member

iPads have core audio and the Apple mobile chips though, there's an actual advantage there that isn't in the heads of the indoctrinated. Some of the digital modelling software available on iOS for guitar alone would make your eyes water compared to what we had on full powered PCs less than a decade ago, and very little, if any of it is compatible with Android.

I think that a lot of the chatter around Apple moving away from the Mac line has come from iOS having a clear software and arch advantage over the competition, and the Macs just being PCs in a really expensive and resource intensive chassis, with an overrated joke of an OS. It's obvious where Cupertino's efforts lie.

3. teej

teej Member

iOS has a clear software advantage and macOS is a joke? That seems like a difficult position to take given how much they have in common.

4. Perko

Perko Member

It's almost like they're in different segments with different competitors or something.

thecondor likes this.
  5. teej

teej Member

So your clarification is that users of CoreAudio apps on iPads are "in different segments with different competitors or something" to users of CoreAudio apps on macOS?

6. Perko

Perko Member

Who wants to take a MacBook or iMac to a gig? If you can't see what a fully capable iPad means to Mac sales from a "creative arts" point of view, it's on you.

The other thing is that CoreAudio's main advantage over the competition lies on the mobile platform, because most of these apps run through USB on PCs trivially and have Windows versions. MacOS doesn't have the competitive advantage over Windows that iOS has over Android.

Apple doesn't exist in a vacuum.

7. teej

teej Member

So you actually see the differentiation not in the OS but in the hardware and form factor. I think that's a reasonable position to take. What I take issue with is iOS being seen as some sort of clean slate unencumbered by its heritage, when it actually inherits much of the grime of its predecessor and adds some cruft of its own.

8. Perko

Perko Member

Yep, and I agree. I'm talking more about the iPad being lumped in with its competitors hardware-wise rather than iOS as a rule, but the combination of the Axx chips and iOS for a few particular use cases makes them pretty compelling when compared to some of the pro-Apple garbage you see around these parts.

You could run a lot of these apps on Surface machines, but the cost for the task would be a lot higher than the current non-pro iPads. Most of the vanilla Android tablets I've used have been rubbish, and the Samsung ones tend to be divisive due to Touchwiz, but I don't really care about UX, so it came down to throwing an extra couple of hundred down to get an Air 2 so I had my modelling software.

Obviously iPhones can run a lot of the apps I'm talking about too, but they're on the pricing level of the current Mac line-up relative to their competition in the market.

It's just where the iPad sits in the current market, pricing and capability-wise. If they could emulate that with the Mac line-up somehow, most of the terrible anti-Mac criticisms that gets people so angry in these threads would disappear.

They'll never do it with the iPhone; rivers of gold that one.

demiurge3141 likes this.
  9. scips

scips Member

Not really, my anti-mac boils down to -
    Apple fanbois thinking apple hardware is magically a million times better developed/made etc than the other vendors. Yes the A** chips are great, but the things that die on laptops/tabs/phones isnt the cpu, its battery/screen/pcb/buttons/finger print sensors/keyboards etc, and they die just as much on apple as they do other vendors i.e. MS, asus, samsung, acer, etc

Confusing "intuitive" with "familiarity", cant count the amount of shit articles with the pixel3 launch with career iphone users shitting on android OS because they HAVNT USED IT BEFORE AND ARE CONFUSED THAT IT TAKES MORE THAN A WEEK TO GET FAMILIAR WITH ANOTHER OS AND ECOSYSTEM WHEN THEY'VE BEEN ON IOS FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS.

I tried iphone for a week when I was due for renewal this year, (spare iphones at work, i have a vague familiarity with them so im not as window lickingly retarded as a iphone>android user would be) but it still sucked, i still hated it, and it is all down to 10years of usage and muscle memory.

Current apple is in the novell/blackberry/nokia phase where they have a great market share, but stagnate as fuck actual product lineup with claimed innovation mostly just rehashing features with nothing wrong (looking at you touch ID vs faceID)

10. Perko

Perko Member

I don't disagree, but as I said, I use pretty much all mainstream OSes on a regular basis and have done for years, so UX has sort of become irrelevant to me in my not so old age, most of them follow the same logic flows etc now. I'm still a CLI guy at heart, I prefer Linux on the desktop to anything else personally, but the similarities between iOS and Android make it a moot point as far as I'm concerned. An OS should just be a way to get to the useful apps after all.

I think the thing that Apple has nailed down in the phone market is the aspirational consumer as a whole bloc, rather than just the business type, or the hipster as an individual market. I'm not saying that they will be the market profit leader forever, but I think that unless we see disruptive tech come from someone else, any decline will be slow due to the ecosystem/store tie ins. BlackBerry and Nokia/Symbian never had that to any appreciable degree.

Of course there will always be anti-Mac people, there always have been, even in the PPC days. But as you say, a lot of that boils down to the aggression of proponents as much as the other way around, rather than any objective product reasons.

11. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Well at least it makes upgrading for the parents easier. My mother got an iPad 2017 and sold her iPad 3 for $200.

12. Perko

Perko Member

There's still a premium there. You could buy a galaxy tab for the trade in cash and throw the old one to the kids. If you want a tablet to just have a tablet, the Samsung stuff is hard to discount out of hand.

13. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Probably, but I do prefer Apple stuff for the old folks because it's so locked down. Wouldn't touch one for myself.

Perko likes this.
  14. epo299

epo299 Member

The apple products appear to hold its value well because they are so expensive to begin with. They arent giving surfacebooks away either! While talk about service is true apples is very good i beg to differ and say MS is fantastic too. Had a problem with my surface they gave me two options. Send it in and they will replace it or give us a CC as a $200 deposit they will send the new one out and once they receive mine theyll refund it. Cant ask for much more

15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

This is my thought exactly... ffs a new XS Max with 64BG is $1800. There are heaps of brands including Oppo and Huawei that can outdo the features and still sell for half the price or less... I don't get why people buy apple anything. :D

JSmith

16. clonex

clonex Member

cause chinese spy on you if you buy oppo/huawei but isnt everything made in china?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    JSmithDTV likes this.