How does Apple hardware hold its value so well?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Myne_h, Oct 24, 2017.

1. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Apple is like C or S class Mercedes

mS, dell, HP, Msi, Others are comparable to the likes Tata Motors, Great Wall motors, Citroen, Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, GM, BMW, Lexus to Ferris and anything in between

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. EZYHD

EZYHD Member

Must say I was surprised a how long it took PC makers to incorporate HD inside monitor, we have also never had any probs. selling used Apple gear for a good price even after few years of use, especially iMacs.

3. Hater

Hater Member

C and S class Mercedes run on Tatas?

Your analogy makes no sense

thecondor and clonex like this.
  4. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I see what you mean I changed my post

5. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Remember the days when they mac fans thought they were better then everyone because they had special power cpus lol.

Its mac fans still trying to hold onto the idea that a apple computer is special and unique to them and says something about them as a person.

Easier then looking inwards at the shallow insecure narcissistic self. Buy a mac and feel better then everyone TODAY!!!

Facebook and google just work on a mac you know lol

thecondor and clonex like this.
  6. Lem0n

Lem0n Member

Are we sure that second-hand Apple products are selling for high prices? I've always used Windows, so was keen to buy a Macbook Pro or Air just to get a taste of MacOS and the eco-system.

Looking through Gumtree, the Apple laptops were definitely more expensive compared to their Elitebook, Latitude and ThinkPad counterparts for the same spec (although could this be due to more supply since these business line laptops are bought and sold at huge numbers by corporates?). I kept an eye on a few listings and noticed that they sat there for many weeks, seemingly not selling. So while some of the points discussed in this thread may be true, I also believe that sellers of Apple products may also over-value the price of their hardware and only create the illusion of holding their value.

For those of you wondering, I still haven't bought a Macbook Pro or Air :p

7. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

Each to there own. Personally I love the Macbook Pro's (2015 models). Pretty hard to get the 13inch models (new) now unless you get a refurbished unit or one from Gumtree. I agree most people tend to over value their MacBook laptops as most people do with their items in general. Can never get near RRP even in mint condition things.

I do hate iPhones though. Note 8/Android all the way when it comes to phones. To restrictive for what I do for work to use an iPhone. Personal preference though, some people like A rather than B for their own reasons and that's fine.

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I have zero to say about Apple OS, apart from I'm not used to it and therefore I find it less easy to use. Mac Unibody laptops certainly feel 'tough'. Other macs, just ordinary laptops.
    My issue would be cost vs performance.. pay the same price for half the performance generally... and difficulty of servicing. I used to have to fix the damn things for a living, what a sucky job that was !!

To replace the keyboard on pretty much any modern midrange laptop takes about 30 seconds and 30 bucks for the keyboard from thousands of different online sellers. If you've ever pulled a mac unibody apart, you'll find between 50-100 sesame seed sized screws which must be removed JUST TO REMOVE THE KEYBOARD. That doesn't include stripping half the computer to get at the keyboard in the first place. You may perceive that as a sign of quality. I perceive it as bad design.

You'll find the replacement keyboard costs double if not more than the non windows (of any brand) keyboard, and you won't find any cheap online replacement keyboards either. Absolute bitches of things to work on. The same applies to Apple phones.. ridiculously difficult to work on compared to the competition.

Note that I don't include convertibles or tablets in that discussion, the Surface is just glue, glued together with more glue. Not that an iPad is particularly easy to work on either, mind you, but at least you should be able to disassemble and reassemble it with practice. Many microlimp products are virtually disposable by comparison.

Apples are fashion accessories. My Mrs has a Louis Vuitton handbag which cost 6K. Its a very high quality bit of kit.. but fuck, I could get an even better quality bag, custom made exactly how she wanted, made by a professional leathersmith (is that even a word? :lol: ) for 1/4 of the price. There is no way she would own anything but the monogrammed version, which is super megafugly.. but it just screams "fuck you, I have an LV". This is the Apple business model too. Its all about fashion and perceived status, far more so than quality.

This is why people queue on release day for the latest iPhone.. you are either a fanboi or not. The last apple phone I had, kept and used for any period of time was an 4. It was ok I guess, a reliable enough phone, but certainly not special. I've already seen people on this forum wanting to sell an 8 plus because they want an X. To me, that's fucking crazy. If you are buying it because 'quality, will last so much longer' then stop fucking upgrading and make use of that feature.

I have a 10 year old motorola smartphone, about the size of an iPhone 4 but less actual screen size, I've always kept in a drawer as a backup. I used it as my main phone for a couple of years without issue, and it still works fine. Cost me $35 as a prepaid special at Woolies. Doesn't have a fancy glass front and back, doesn't perform as 'fast' as an iPhone 4.. but its never missed a beat. Never. I lend it to friends and relatives regularly while they wait for their own phones to be repaired or until they can afford to replace a lost or broken phone. I replaced it with an iPhone 4 as it happens, so that's a pretty direct comparison. The 4 was definitely faster and better featured. It wasn't worth paying 20 times the price for though. And it was no more reliable than the cheapy it replaced.. in fact if you want to include replacing screens twice on the 4, it was in fact less reliable.

Each to their own I guess.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  9. clonex

clonex Member

Only need to look in the FS section and its a few specific members buying up anything apple at OCAU's cheaper than everywhere else prices.
    Seriously how many macs/iphone/ipads does one bloke really need?

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I got sucked into an iPhone 8 as part of a recontract recently. After some consideration, I decided I didn't need or want it, but with no handset repayments (an Optus deal at the time) it wasn't a bad deal.

I didn't even open the box. Sold it on Gumtree to some guy (he even has a business card - "I buy phones") as a sealed unused phone, for a grand, 3 hours after I listed it. I probably could have held out for more, I don't know but didn't really care as it effectively cost me zip. He told me he sends them overseas for resale, and makes a healthy living doing so. I suspect many serial buyers on this forum are buying to sell, just as this guy was. At least he was open about it.

With that money, wifey now has a Galaxy A5, and I'm going to, when I get a round tuit, buy a Nokia 6 most likely. 2 for the price of one (well, for the price of none really, since the iPhone 8 was effectively free), and I challenge anyone who isn't a 'power user' or a fanboi to show me that the single iPhone is a better deal than the 2 phone combo I just mentioned, even if I had paid full retail for it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  11. Mrdsol

Mrdsol Member

After being a bit of an android modder since the beginning of the Galaxy release all the way up to the Note 3, I honestly got a bit bored of the same OS with no real change looking back on a fully updated (with no more support) Galaxy 1 to a fully upgraded (at the time) Note 3 so I got me an iphone 6.

Obviously the Android OS had still needed some ironing out, I was modding my droids to take care of the unexpected crashings and reboots that were present on the stock OS (early days). So trialed nearly every modified OS available, I found a few much more stable and simply perfected over the stock OS (+ bloated to sh!t!). Although still I was really starting to loose interest with it's "feel" no matter how much I delved into the OS mechanics. BTW a nice minimal launcher Aviate is awesome! There was another but I've forgotten the name of it now.

But I had a HTC garbage that I bought for $200 and it was on par with the Note 3 ($900rrp at the time) performance. Shocking really.

Although I do love the android, I opted to grab the iPhone 6s on a new contract.
    I have to admit, the stability of this thing is amazing! It's classic home / lock screen is a little dated I feel, but it works flawlessly. I guess this is why people love them so much. Everything is just integrating apple these days because it just works. BUT! Android kicks the donkey with the advanced stuff. Tasker app and the likes are non-existent on iphones, only reason I can see is for maintaining OS stability.

Reason for the high price tag on most apple stuff is because every idiot owns one and thinks they are this high performance machine that is worthy of high $$$ when in fact you can get an out performer for much less. But the OS wont be as stable, so....... yeahhhhh.

All depends on the buyer really. What are your needs.

12. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Pretty much this

13. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Back a few years ago it wasn't as over inflated. $1500 would buy you a 13" Macbook Pro with decent specs. I bought one of these and I still use it today. 2010 macbook, still running well in 2018..

Definitely a good investment there.

14. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Doing it wrong - IIRC you never undo those screws, you replace the entire keyboard assembly as one piece (which Is how all replacements come anyway)

15. jastormont

jastormont Member

I really feel the latest Macbook Pro's will actually be money pits and had cheap as they will not last and after 3 years of age, nobody will want to touch as can't upgrade, battery what is glued in will be had it and they have a reputation to have issues with the keyboards.

16. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I read it selling better, 25% higher than last year. for the masses, everything being superglued is not a deal killer.

17. Hater

Hater Member

I'm stuck with my 2012 forever, as the Retinas were when everything started to suck.

ecroF likes this.
  18. epo299

epo299 Member

they drop in value at the same rate. apple gear starts out 2,3 or 4 times the price.

19. Hater

Hater Member

Well....

1 year and two months after the iPod Nano 1st Generation Recall officially ended, I called them up to inquire about a battery replacement on a 1st Generation iPod Nano I just received from OCAU rather than the iPod Mini I was meant to have been sent

No questions, no ifs, buts or anything else, the adviser set up the repair and the battery now being replaced on Apples dime. The device itself was born in October 2005, so it's 12 and a half years old.

Can't complain with that.

psylink and ae00711 like this.
  20. epo299

epo299 Member

their support is pretty fantastic credit where credit is due. Its a great all round product and they stand behind the quality.