How does Apple hardware hold its value so well?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Myne_h, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Hive

Hive Member

Hey can you please drop me a PM of the mobile number of your crack dealer? I want to grab a sample of whatever it is you're jamming into your pipe and smoking all day long to believe things like what you just said.

Probably the only reason they spend 50% of the RND budget on how the inside of the device looks is when the poorly put together PCB finally shits itself and apple tell you it's not their fault at all, you can hang it up on the wall like a piece of art.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    thecondor, Perko and elvis like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Objectively so. I can crash Finder quite trivially using every day business scenarios. It's downright non-functional for anything other than browsing your local hard disk.

Path Finder used to be a viable solution to this problem, but even that sucks now due to macOS's awful low level file cache and network file system handling that infects the entire operating system.

Awaiting the inevitable "The 'Pro' in 'Mac Pro' doesn't mean 'business professional', you insensitive clod" whining.

Perko likes this.
  3. Hater

Hater Member

Braaaaaand spankers.

[​IMG]

Replacement for a unit I bought off here as functional that had a list of faults longer than my arm.

Not bad.

Weird, my original 4-Core Pro has never been back to Apple once.

4. Perko

Perko Member

It is totally for business professionals, just not IT related ones.
    There's a vote for better QC if i ever saw one.

5. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

Yep you have the same number as me, under whatever you call your mother ;)

Honestly tho, taking apart HP/ACER/ASUS they are all the same crap, look inside a Macbook pro and it's so well manufactured it's not funny.

Ive worked as a "Authed Apple Tech" and repairing them are a piece of pie, doing the same with Acer on the other hand - I would rather smoke with your mother....

Hive likes this.
  6. Perko

Perko Member

Sounds like the kool-aid was compulsory for the authorisation.

Don't you need a soldering iron to repair the new ones?

Hive and thecondor like this.
  7. Hater

Hater Member

Depends what's broken. Most of it you replace the "logic board" module though heh. From a servicing point of view they were definitely ahead of everyone, but that ended in 2012 with the introduction of the Retina MBP's

I mean look inside a PowerMac G5. Tasty.

Better geniuses. It has been back for service (both with Unisys and Apple) 5 times, each time them replacing CPU risers, RAM modules and fan controllers WITHOUT TOUCHING THE GRAPHICS CARDS WHICH HAD AN APPLE RECALL ON FOR THE ISSUES THE MACHINE WAS EXHIBITING!

They just wasted their own time times 10 by having dumb geniuses.

That said, i'm sure there is more to it than just that. Perhaps there is a shortage of replacement video cards? Maybe the contract ATi has with Apple to make those very specific FirePro's means it saves Apple money if they can get a machine out the door without replacing them? Who knows

8. Perko

Perko Member

Even when Macs were still good and cool, the running joke was that in order to upgrade or repair, you throw it away and buy a new one. But yeah I agree, the 2011 and older were good to service, but "work of art" is just hyperbole.

thecondor likes this.
  9. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

When I look inside it's the same as any other $2000 computer. Standard vrm parts. Standard caps etc. Cause you know it's just a PC.

thecondor likes this.
  10. Hater

Hater Member

Well back in the PowerPC days, who made upgradable components? I had all kinds of flashing and trickery to get things like PC graphics cards to work in my various G4 and G5 PowerMacs but that was a bit too hacky for anyone working in a professional sense and beyond the Mum and Dads at home

11. thecondor

thecondor Member

Shhhhhh don’t let the cool aid drinkers in on this secret

12. Perko

Perko Member

Yeah I remember the reversed AGP cards etc. G4 PowerMacs were awesome though.

13. Hater

Hater Member

Except the bloody Mirror Drive Door ones. I had a dual 867 and it put my vacuum cleaner to shame

Perko likes this.
  14. Hive

Hive Member

What is the extent of training for an "authed apple tech", is it studying the master troubleshooting flow chart that goes something like;

Does the machine turn on? Yes: no fault, tell customer to fuck off. No: you need a new device. No we don't cover this design fault because we didn't *intentionally* cheap out on materials for BGA joints, it was purely accidental.

When most companies fuckup, they at least try to make good, not apple. The best you will get out of them is silently publishing a *LIMITED* recall notification in an almost hidden part of the site. These bullshit anti consumer tactics are the reason they make that revenue with sheeple being the other problem.

thecondor likes this.
  15. thecondor

thecondor Member

It is also mandatory to stand around in a circle after their training and congratulate each other on becoming a apple service tech.

16. Hive

Hive Member

From now on you will all be known as geniuses, go forth into the world you bunch of binary simpletons.

And there is a cookie in the middle of the circle, shaped like the apple logo. Last person to congratulate has to eat it.

thecondor and Perko like this.
  17. Hater

Hater Member

That's a lie.

Sperm isn't vegan.

thecondor likes this.
  18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JSmith

thecondor likes this.
  19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've never worked for "IT professionals" in my life. I am an IT professional, but every business I've worked for did something else, and they were all very different to each other.

And all of them had constant business issues with the upper bounds of what macOS could offer, resulting in limits on deliverables or profitability as a result.

This isn't some religious nerd rant. These are real professional, business problems. By preference, I'd much rather a competent, UNIX based OS like macOS to almost anything else. I genuinely wish it worked as advertised.

thecondor and Perko like this.
  20. Hater

Hater Member

I'm not sure what's more cringy, the cult of Apple or the cult of Anti-Apple

It must suck to be a store employee though, i've spent a lot of time waiting at those benches and it's like everyone with a broken iPhone is the most important person ever

Seriously they must see 1000 people a day with some faulty or broken device, you're not special Linda

Hive likes this.