How does Apple hardware hold its value so well?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Myne_h, Oct 24, 2017.

1. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

That may be true, but if you're paying a premium for the product, you expect decent service.

2. Hater

Hater Member

They can’t be all that special considering pretty much everyone can afford them.

3. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

Yeah look. You and I both know not everyone can afford Apple products. They are pricing themselves out of the average joes reach. That’s a fact. They are losing market share in many fields. Don’t try spin it differently.

People buy product and expect a better service than Samsung, Nokia, LG etc. That’s not unreasonable.

thecondor likes this.
  4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If the providers didn't offer a loan contract on a phone along with a phone plan, Apple sales would plummet. The only reason the average bogan or teenager has an iDevice is the telco contracts.

Optus make more money by upselling an overpriced device than they do on the phone plan itself. Case in point- $15/month for a BYO device unlimited calls/texts contract, 2GB data. $100/month for the same deal with an iDevice with some extra data on a 2 year contract.

And 'can get' does not mean 'can afford'..

To be fair though, the same applies to any high end phone, not just an iSuck.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  5. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

If only they considered just how much they were paying for that device under a plan....

6. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

The fuck! How are they supposed to gain social status, actually doing stuff or improving yourself is way harder then getting a top their phone.

People buying apple gear has little to do with how it performs from what I have seen.

7. flu!d

That does appear to be the case. Although a great many people buy iOS devices as the OS is so simplistic it's almost impossible to fuck it up. It's basically just an app launcher.

8. Vanne

Vanne Member

Still using a MacBook from way back in 2007, how many laptops last 11 years? (I've been trying to kill it as I bought a new razor blade over a year ago, but this fucking thing just won't die) Not a apple fanboy by any means, but you gotta give credit where credit is due, their MacBook range shits all over anything peecee durability wise in a laptop.

9. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

I get a new laptop every ~18 months on average, giving the old one to a family member or a friend. Currently six people are using apple laptops i used to own... the oldest still going strong last i saw it (although the battery has been replaced).

(my most recent laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 920 though as i needed to switch back to windows for work stuff)

10. thecondor

thecondor Member

What do you use it for facebook?

My MacBook Pro 13 was near 3 years old for work and it struggled with nearly everything. Was a pretty well specd machine so every time someone says this I find it really hard to believe

Vanne likes this.
  11. Perko

Perko Member

There's a degree of lock in with platform too, iTunes and the Play store are the worst things about modern smart phones imo. They lock out other OSes by design. The only reason that Google cops less shit over it is because they're open to any vendor, yet Windows was open to any PC hardware back in the day, and IE was enough to get them smacked around.
    Your anecdote is as valuable as all the others in this thread, I have 10+ year old PC laptops with stubborn arsehole users as well.

12. Vanne

Vanne Member

Nah, I don't do facebook, nor any other the other social media shit. utter waste of time. No, I drag mine to about 10 different countries a month and gets setup at every hotel that I stay at, it takes severe knocks and bangs in my flight bag. and still the thing wont die. I could pour a beer over it and be done with it, but come on, pretty darn good MacBook.. I cruise the web, play some old games and participate in forums/race drivel .. perfect for what I use it for.. I don't need an I8 to cruise the web.

13. Vanne

Vanne Member

Your response is about as useful as a hooker with VD in a whore house. not sure where your going with that?

14. Perko

Perko Member

If you'd read the rest of the thread you would. Question is why it holds it's value. Answer is high new purchase price, high brand power and consumer sentiment, and relatively low numbers of units shipped. Supply and demand.

Yet every thread in the Apple forum that goes beyond how to get into recovery mode gets filled with anecdotes justifying purchasing decisions. Usually with some outlandish claims to go with it, (not yours).

15. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks for clarifying that, in regards to the alu MacBook, I think the answer is quality, quality hardware at least anyways. The rest of the whole apple mumbo jumbo is lost on me. 1k plus for a phone, so I can get hounded by work at night/after hours, so I can Facebook my daily shits online.. no thx.

Thier other interesting block of iron is Thier Mac Pro cheese grater. That's a pretty good box too. Cost a bomb though, but years on it's still out lasting the trashcan Mac pro. Had a Mac pro 2008, that I sold 3 years after buying it second hand for more than I bought it for.
    Crazy shit. Apple doesn't give a shit about it customers.. in that way, they are the same as any of the Intel rubbish that people buy..

Lol back on track..

16. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Lol every Apple 'repair' job is an $800 replacement mbd.

Perko and thecondor like this.
  17. flu!d

Honestly, I repair Mac's, including MacBooks. Hardware and build wise, they're OK, they tend to get more credit that they should because 'aluminum' - But they aren't without their issues.

I've got a Compaq laptop here that's probably just as old that I stuffed a faster processor into that's lasted just as long as my MacBook Pro, the only reason why I use my MacBook is because it's handy being able to boot to either macOS or Windows being a tech.

18. Perko

Perko Member

Disagree; markets are driven by the masses, all that most of the current generation of Mac users care about is style and social status.

Yes they have good panels and an aluminium chassis, but most people that have a laptop for Facebook and Instagram genuinely wouldn't notice unless it had the Apple logo on the lid.

19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Perko, come to think of it man, your probably right mate, but then again, I don't roll in those kinda circles, and have little to zero experience outside of seeing "them" in their late' drinking environments, so yeah your probably right. :D

Come to think of it, my little niece (who's 2nd year in uni now) has gone through 2 MacBook pro's in 3 years, so yeah she's not on a winning ticket with them.

my wife MacBook Pro (i5) I've had to replace the logic board in after it was out of warranty also (300 bucks on Egay), so, ill now go and retract that "Quality" statement...

Perko likes this.
  20. Perko

Perko Member

There's nothing better than winning the silicon lottery, it'd be nice if everyone did, but then it wouldn't be a lottery!