How does Server 2k16 ID disks for clustering?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by wwwww, May 12, 2019.

1. wwwww

wwwww Member

I'm trying to cluster a RAID array (on a pair of SmartArray P431) so it can be accessed via SMB through two servers.

When I try to validate the cluster, it lists each clusterable disk through each node, then tells me each one is only accessible from one node.

Clearly it is failing to recognise that the disks on each node are the same, the disk signatures are the same, so what am I missing?

Attached Files:

2. Rea:Per

Rea:Per Member

just been through the setup of a 2019 cluster,

i've not done it as a SMB Share before, just iSCSI but I thought MPIO was a requirement when clustering (i could be wrong)

Mine is an iSCSI array that has MPIO with each node, use iscsicpl to connect the volume to each host with MPIO, leave it as offline on each host then bring it online on 1 host only and format it (don't bother with a drive letter)
    then the add disk wizard of Failover Cluster Manager brings it online and sets it up as a clustered volume. (as C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 for each host)

3. OP
    OP
    wwwww

wwwww Member

The SMB is unrelated, it's just the goal of the server, the disks themselves are accessed via dual domain RAID. The issue I was having was that although the Failover Cluster Manager sees both arrays on both nodes, it doesn't seem to recognise them as the same disk (note it says that each disk is only available from a single node, then proceeds to list it as being available on both nodes.

I ended up going with S2D directly on our HVs instead, 3 1.6TB NVMe disks on each server, 3 nodes.

Reads are 6000MB/s, writes are ~ 500MB/s. Random reads are very strong too but random writes are weak (only on 2x40Gbps IB).

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

Check the drives for PLP

Code:
    Get-PhysicalDisk |? FriendlyName -Like "*SAMSUNG*" | Get-StorageAdvancedProperty
    Then set Write Caching to on, disable windows write cache buffer.

Then tell the array you have power protection if it doesn't automatically

Code:
    get-storagepool | set-storagepool -ispowerprotected $true

5. OP
    OP
    wwwww

wwwww Member

They're Intel P3600s, they have PLP but Get-storageAdvancedProperty is reporting that they don't. That would explain the poor rights but how do I set that to true? Googling only showed how to set the storagepool power protection to true.