How have I broken my PC

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Dopeturtles, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Dopeturtles

Dopeturtles Member

Hello

My PC (Asus z270l and 7700k) does not like to boot promptly anymore, however once in Windows is still happy to run at 5ghz and pass an Intel burn test.
    If I try to overclock from the BIOS though, it won't boot. Even 4.8ghz all core.
    Even waking it from sleep, it hangs and then appears to shut down, but then displays my desktop where I left of.
    On a full shutdown, it gets to the Asus logo screen, green light on motherboard and hangs. Caps lock key won't respond. Then I hold down the power button and press it again and it boots as normal. I've cleared CMOS ram many times.

Yesterday I transferred my PC from an NZXT H200i into an Ncase V6.1.
    I delidded the CPU a couple weeks ago. It has been running at 5ghz well and fine with a Kraken X52 on it.
    When I transferred the motherboard into the new case I did go to town with a can of compressed air and alcohol on a cotton swab for dust.

Any thoughts as to whether it is software or hardware problem?

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

reset cmos to default, disable mce, memtest, if it all passes, fresh windows install if it's still broken.

3. spit051261

spit051261 Member

Do you have another CPU you can try ?
    It's normally the last thing you did to it , if it was working before that but anything is possible.
    Fresh OS install is good advice and always the best way .

"I did go to town with a can of compressed air and alcohol on a cotton swab for dust".
    Any chance of popping around to my house to do a bit of cleaning , you are meticulous :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    Dopeturtles

Dopeturtles Member

Hey thanks for your replies. I've been a bit lazy and scared to troubleshoot it.

It hangs before getting to Windows. The Asus logo comes up and then couple seconds later the Caps Lock stops responding. Then I hold power button and it boots and runs as normal and never crashes...

I don't wanna pull it apart and then not be able to get it to boot at all, because at least I can use it atm. From what I read online Intel might announce some new CPUs and motherboards shortly. I really need to upgrade anyway because 4c/8t is a bottleneck even at 1440p.

5. spit051261

spit051261 Member

If it's working , leave it as is :)
    Seriously, cleaning it that way is asking for trouble.
    Quick squirt of compressed air (while it's off) is all that's needed .

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  6. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Replace the CMOS battery next time you reset it. Shouldn't make a difference, but it does sometimes.

7. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

dont use cotton swab to clean dust

clean with a clean dry paint brush to remove dust. often a "cut down" brush works best - dont use compressed air cans as they contain water. use properly filtered air from a proper air compressor if you must use compressed air - use isopropyl to remove thermal paste.

if you must use circuit cleaner to clean the mainboard and other cards but use sparingly and leave to drip dry for at least 30 mins before powering on.. but be aware some circuit cleaners ( usually the cheap ones) can damage the thin layer of laminate clear paint on the circuit board that was applied to protect the board and components from corrosion (im looking at you supercheap circuit board cleaner) - speaking from experience

8. spit051261

spit051261 Member

It doesn't contain water, that's condensation .
    Before you use the can , you always give it a few squirts to clear "condensation".It's very, very cold.
    Do you think they would sell a cleaning product that contained water in any computer shop ?
    ALL computer shops sell compressed air cans for cleaning.

9. spit051261

spit051261 Member

How about just shorting the Cmos pins like everyone else does?

10. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Sarcasm aside, CMOS batteries going flat can cause weird issues with correct BIOS settings. I've experienced this myself on PCs where clearing the CMOS (by either removing and reinstalling the battery or shorting the pins, like everyone else does) doesn't fix the issue, but replacing the battery does.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  11. spit051261

spit051261 Member

How was that sarcasm and i am an expert in the field of sarcasm if I want to be .
    I was just giving straight forward advice .
    Do you know what sarcasm means?
    People don't normally keep MOBO's long enough to need a better change ( few years)

12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

13. spit051261

spit051261 Member

So it doesn't contain water :rolleyes:
    Call it anything except water :)
    My statement was off the top of my head about no water being present , didn't Google to quote exact chemical compounds .

14. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I wasn't disagreeing with you... just clarifying what the condensate consists of.

JSmith

15. spit051261

spit051261 Member

I am disagreeing the the guy giving very bad advice to newbies about compressed air cans .
    I always give them a few puffs before spraying case anyway .

16. spit051261

spit051261 Member

[QUOTE="de_overfiend, post: 18413453,[/QUOTE]

17. FOTW

FOTW Member

No water from compressed air in a can, its actually quite flammable hence the warnings on the cans.

If your using a home air compressor then yes there could be some water.

18. spit051261

spit051261 Member

I'm obviously talking cans of compressed air sold in pc shops here .
    Not a 55Kw 3 phase air compressor with a tank.

19. spit051261

spit051261 Member

You don't give it a "squirt" from an industrial compressor made for the home .
    I disagreed with someone saying "Don't use compressed air"
    That is the best product for us .

20. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

If the machine is turned off at the wall on a consistent basis the battery may only last 2 years or so in a working PC. Depending on how long it's been on the shelf before purchase, that may be shorter again. In any case, if OP hasn't tried it, he/she might as well try something they haven't before even if only to eliminate it as a possibility.