How is iPhone gaming even enjoyable?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Playing the Duke Nukem port today, released for iPhone I wondered how Apple can be so up themselves about the iPhone as a gaming platform. I've had it for over a year now and I've tried every game that's worth mentioning. Now apart from Field runners I have yet to find another game that does not have at least one of the following:

- A shitty control scheme that involves your fingers or hands being in the way
    - A control scheme that is randomly unresponsive
    - A laggy experience

THen reading around you can find quotes such as:

lol? I have a PSP, a DS and an iPhone. The iPhone is by FAR the worst of them all. Comments regarding how many games they have in their catalog are stupid, since when does quantity > quality? Perhaps you have 22k games because every 15 year old that can write a piece of code is in it for a quick buck?

As for it being better than say being able to play GTA: Vice city on the go, old PSX games, Mario games on the DS etc with better control schemes, more buttons and smoother gameplay - well I don't see how. Is it because you can tilt the thing and something moves? Big whoop. Playing games that like generally involves the game being so simplistic to the point that you have maybe 3 buttons or ways you can move. And some of the games are more like movies where you only act to press something at a certain time, like a quicktime event.

Apple are deluded, they make great phones, but the gameplay sucks.

2. Silesia

Silesia Member

Reading those quote you posted there, it's rasing my eyebrow abit

3. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Well there's a bet you would lose. Why would I buy a handhand gaming device to use as a phone if it was never advertised as one? I don't see what that has to do with anything.

4. Cornflake

Cornflake Member

I read about this or something similar recently. It sounds like they're just trying to convince themselves it's better, and telling everyone it is, and deep down they know it's shit. I haven't actually played a game on one myself but I saw a guy playing a one-screen game with an island of tribal people and all he was doing was touching different parts of the screen to kill them (eg touch the sky to send lightning). How fun and engrossing! :rolleyes:

I don't see how a gaming device without buttons could ever be better than one with buttons. It only dwarfs the libraries of the PSP and DS because it has 1000 times more shovelware than the DS and shitty games like the one I mentioned above.

5. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

haha i've been thinking about this for a while as well, and have come to the conclusion that the only things that the iphone does well is strategy/puzzle games.. stuff that doesn't require any precise input, as tilting/hitting a touch gamepad will always be a joke.

The only games i play on my iphone are bejewelled, peggle, the creeps, seven cities, 7 drop.. i've tried to play super monkey ball etc but it just ends up in a mass of frustration where i just wanna chuck the thing..

6. Webby

Webby Member

What worries me about these all-in-one devices is the watering down of experiences because they attempt to do too many things....

7. FiShy

FiShy Member

i play bejewlled all the time on my ipwn, good time killer.

Apps are easy to get and can be downloaded while sitting on a train or waiting for somthing anywhere/anytime. Its one device that has music, phone and web apps, app/games. Means i dont carry around anything other then sunnies, keys, wallet, iphone.

8. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Yes the iPhone is great, many people agree and nobody is disputing that, especially with all the helpful apps. But the gaming aspect is over hyped.

What triggered this was the new ad on TV with the cheerful music and a few shots of games that look like their fun to play, yet when I play them myself they feel like ass.

9. SmEaGoLLuM!

SmEaGoLLuM! Member

I saw a tv ad of the iphone for games. How can you even fucking play having to shake the console around like that, and pretty much every game that was advertised involved shaking of the iphone.

10. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

I think the main sticking point is the lack of buttons... i have solitaire etc on the HTC for time killing but any sort of action game that tries to use the touch screen as a control interface is just shyte.

Also thought the ad on TV was for the latest/greatest ipods.

11. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

I can't tell if some of you guys just love hatin on the iPhone or if you're genuinely daft enough to believe that every game requires shaking, I've had a PSP and a DS for years and I enjoy gaming on my iPhone just as much as either of these devices.

I played Dungeon Hunter for 45 mins on the train this morning, and games like Field Runners, Peggle, Alive4Ever, HR Battle, GeoDefence, Infinity Gene, Spider, Electric Box and Monkey Island are every bit as good as any game on the PSP or DS. There's nothing watered down about any of these games.

12. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

well i can vouch that Wolfenstein plays perfectly on the iPhone.

Sonic the Hedgehog however, does NOT.

13. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Wolfenstein RPG on the iPhone is such an awesome game, it sure would suck to miss out on playing it.

14. da_neural

da_neural Member

agree to an extent, cant stand games where you have to tilt screen to move (racing) or fps games on the iphone too hard and annoying.

Although like many of the other games that dont require tilting to turn etc... bewjewlled, flight control, monopoly, fishing, stick wars, mafia wars keeps me occupied at work like now :lol:

15. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

I can't stand the games that require full time tactile action on the screen. I stick to tower defense style and bejewelled. Fieldrunners, GD Swarm and Flight Control are pretty much the limit to what I'd call decent gaming on the iphone. It will never eclipse my PSP for a mobile gaming platform.

16. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Most 'tilt-to-turn' driving games such as Real Racing have the option to turn tilt off and steer by touching the edges of the screen, it's my preferred control scheme for Real Racing by far and isn't much different to using the d-pad to play GT mobile on the PSP. GT might have slightly better graphics, RR has slightly better sound and they're both about the same to drive.

17. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Maybe not those games, but look at the latest Doom one. It walks around for you while you shoot. What's not watered down about that? Also compare all those games against:

- Metal Gear Solid portable ops
    - GTA LCS/VC
    - Killzone liberation
    - PSX games - FF7/FF8/FF9, MGS, GTA1/2, Resident evil 2/3
    - Gran turismo
    - Daxter
    - Syphon Filter
    - CHinatown wars
    - Mario / Zelda series
    - SCUMMVM games that AREN'T finicky to use. It's so frustrating touching little buttons having it select something else.

That's just off the top of my head. Now which system would you rather be stuck with in a room for a week? For Apple or anyone else to say the iPhone is better for gaming than PSP/DS is ludicrous.

18. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

while i do agree with your last statement.

i still disagree with the thread title.

iphone gaming CAN be extremely enjoyable.

however it can also be incredibly fail.

19. R3Dl2ULZ

R3Dl2ULZ Member

Flight Control, Civilization Revolution, and tower defense games can be quite good.

Strategy and puzzle games that can make good use of the touch screen seem to be good.

For quick, time wasting games the iPhone probably is better than the PSP, and possibly better than the DS, but for proper games that you're going to want to put alot of time into, the DS and PSP would be far superior, mainly because of their better control systems and generally better/longer development of games.

The average quality of PSP/DS games would be many times greater than the average quality of iPhone games.

20. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

And that's why I'd never buy Doom for iPhone.

You have to flex your grey matter here when choosing games people, the reason you don't buy driving games on the DS is the same reason you don't buy point and click games on the PSP or FPS games on the iPhone. Some games just suck dogs balls on certain platforms, but it really shouldn't be difficult for gamers to realise which genres need to be avoided on which platforms.