1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

How is onboard sound these days?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by kylo, Aug 6, 2020.

1. kylo

kylo Member

Hi there,

I currently use a HT Omega Claro+ soumdvard and an AT AG1X headset. So I'm clearly not an audiophile, but back when I got the sound card I thought onboard was awful and Ive appreciated the 5.1 emulation and audio customisation since.

My question is will a mid range mobo these days supercede the need for the card? I use it for nothing else.

2. power

power Member

every time i buy a mobo i try the onboard, and every time i go back to a card. (Right now i have some ASUS ROG board i got for my 9700k).

unless you use the digital output or USB/BT headphones (i mean right here it shows you don't care) you are in for a sub-par time.

kylo likes this.
  3. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

I just bought a b550 tomahawk mobo that comes with optical out. Can someone explain to me why in the hell it does not output 5.1?

I've got a Logitec 5.1 audio system on my setup that I'd like to use on this "gaming" setup...

4. power

power Member

you absolutely positive it doesn't put out 5.1?

5. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Yep. My amp usually shows when it is receiving 5.1. It's only getting 2 channels.

6. power

power Member

might be a driver or config then. it's a bit of a minefield to go through but the short answer is yes it should be.

7. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Any pointers lol? Even in the bundled mobo software, there is only 2 chan in the list, no 5.1...

8. Renza

Renza Member

Pretty sure you won't get 5.1 on optical unless you have something like DTS Connect or DD Live to transcode the audio to one of those formats in real time. To get digital multichannel LPCM you need to use HDMI. Optical/Coax is limited to 2 channels for PCM

9. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

So forget the onboard sound card, and use a HDMI to optical audio extractor to connect the amplifier to the pc?

10. power

power Member

that'd be simpler, almost every PC i've come across you will find it's a bit different but normally the bundled driver and software will allow you to change to 5.1

11. callan

callan Member

My 10Year old Creative USB sound card (SB1240) carked it last week, so I've been forced back to move to motherboard audio (2.1) . I'm particularly pissed as The Creative unit had an inbuilt, RIAA-equalised phono preamp.

TBH the onboard audio is actually unexpectedly, startlingly good: certainly orders of magnitude from when I last put up with it. (admittedly nearly 15 years ago!). Since I only listen to speakers through the (now) onboard audio, or a rather nice pair of BOSE Soundlink2 Bluetooth headphones, I'll likely not replace the USB soundcard.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, incase anyone is curious. Sound was shit until I installed the Gigabyte drivers, btw.

12. koopz

koopz Member

onboard audio is fine so long as it's optical out.

buying a dedicated card is pointless - unless you're using headphones - in which case you'll want something with the built in amp.

No point having a studio quality $2000 pair of cans without an Amp.

A dedicated sound card fed to an Amp fed by optical out is better than most soundcards apparently, though I don't work in a high end PC shop anymore - haven't been able to test myself :( Sounds like bullshit to me. Onboard digi/opti should be the same.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  13. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

I was using a xfi extrememusic and decided to go itx build with inbuild alc1220 codec. as every other previous time, sound is horrendous.

There is much more tone/loudness to the music with soundcards.
    With games, you get more clarity and more much timbre/number of voices/streams, imo. The sound is always very muffled.

I'm not sure if it's a software issues but creative software was bad enough yet least the sound was good.

Put it this way, i looked at the mobo and it literally has 3 3 'high end audio' capacitors vs a whole boards worth with the creative extreme music.

Call me paranoid, but even through the USB microphone that should be using software on my siberia raw prism the sound sounds muffled - I'm thinking it's some setting but honestly i hate adjusting tones when the crystalliser and 3d effects on the extrememusic worked so well.

14. deluxe

deluxe Member

You should be able to get compressed 5.1 over optical, both Dolby Digital and DTS. You may need to set your Windows speaker configuration to 5.1 in order to do this.

JSmithDTV likes this.