1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

How long before Automated Macdonald's

Discussion in 'Science' started by sonick_25, Oct 2, 2019.

1. sonick_25

sonick_25 Member

Well as we speak robot restaurants are rare some theatrical and or a specialty. How long do we have to wait for Fully automated take away and or walk in restaurants to become the mainstream?
    will this even happen?
    If so will it drive the prices up of people cooking your food for you?
    and so many other questions i would be keen to know what everyone thinks about this and if its even going to be a thing....

2. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I have no problem with an automated maccas. Probably get better burger than the current ones. As long as it's cleaned properly, it'll probably work.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Large chain pizza places are largely there. Take a look inside one of those, and most of the cooking tasks are automated.

McDonald's and Burger King are know to be investing heavily in automation. You'd be mad to think they didn't already have testing under way.

4. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Sounds like some good opportunities for engineers and programmers.

This is why everyone should be making sure their kids get a degree and in an appropriate field.
    Gone are the days of starting at the bottom and working your way up.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    mAJORD likes this.
  5. elvis

Not for long:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moravec's_paradox

Writing simple software is, somewhat ironically, far easier for robots than complex things like multi directional joint articulation, pressure and distance judging, and other things humans take for granted.

No jobs are "safe" from automation. It's just a question of whether your job is in the first 50% or the last, and if we've come up with systems to deal with mass unemployment by then.

BurningFeetMan and Maelstrom like this.
  6. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

How long till the restaurant is reduced to a McDonalds vending machine?

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The sooner the better. At least a machine should be able to get the bloody order right.

8. power

power Member

capability will already be there or extremely close, but it's not as close as people think due to the customer base.

9. elvis

I wonder if they'll go cold turkey, or boil the frog.

i.e.: will they just suddenly automate everything one day, or will it slowly drop off where just the burger flippers go over day, the assemblers the next, service at the end.

10. power

power Member

they are already slowly dropping off, we are in the first phase the payment and ordering automation as well as online.

11. elvis

Yeah it certainly feels like they're taking the "boiling the frog" approach. Doesn't surprise me, as people hate change, and freak out if you try to do anything too quickly.

12. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

https://www.asme.org/topics-resources/content/robots-kitchen-at-the-table
    who is operating and stocking and servicing the machine? ive no doubt it is possible based on what has already been done in factories and mining. and complex control systems.
    but there are humans in the loop. even with automated systems, they need tweaking, design, servicing etc etc etc.

13. elvis

Yes, of course there are. The "problem" is not "no humans". The "problem" is that they go from 100 casual employees to 2 people doing stock rotations and one service engineer.

Skip to around 3:15 in this video.

* In 2004, BlockBuster had 84,000 employees, and made USD$ 6 billion
    * In 2016, Netflix had 4,500 employees, and made $USD 9 billion.

Netflix still hire people. They're not 100% automated. But they aren't hiring at the same rates as their predecessors.

I've said it countless times before - you don't want to be the first half of the unemployed. Our current system can't support 50% unemployment. But it's going to take a lot to change things before we work out how to deal with mass unemployment.

Take yourself, for instance. You do nothing to contribute to the world and live off tax payer dollars right now. Given that these mega corps pay bugger all tax, and given that you're largely dependent on middle class taxation, what happens when there's 10x as many of you, and 1/10th the people to fund your lifestyle choice? I hope that garden of yours produces enough food all by itself to feed you 365 days a year.

Places like McDonalds used to be the "my crappy first job" places for young people. What happens when that goes away? How do you "start at the bottom and work your way up" when there are no jobs at the bottom?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  14. Copie

Copie Member

it’s already noticeable with many Maccas no longer having tills, it’s all app based or touch screen. Woolworths/coles are heading the same way

15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

The answer is: because I can.

If there was no surplus of essentials, the story would be different. But there is, so it isn't.
    One estimate I read stated that as much of a third of global food production goes to waste. there is a massive excess.

Robotics is an interesting field. And a large portion of the population is already excluded from the real productive work of providing essential services.

16. power

power Member

i watched an automation video a couple of years ago, the guy walked into a fast food place and it had those little door things - this was a real place. there were no visible staff.

17. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

What interests me though is Maccas have had those self service screens for a while now but I never see people using them

18. power

power Member

conversely i see more and more people using them. the initial takeup was people with a bit of confidence and to spike interest they have reduced the till staff and then put a person to help at the self serve, this caused a spike in usage.

newer maccas have HEAPS of self serve now. i assume some locations will switch to just self serve soon.

freaky_beeky and whatdoesthisdo like this.
  19. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

...you're still in a queue waiting for santa's little helpers in the kitchen to flip the burgers for you. you get to skip the service counter queue i suppose.
    same as for checkout staff/and "self serve" at the supermarket food trough. the customer does what the checkout chick used to. big deal. that isnt real automation. that's just a checkout process and self service.

20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

staff at mcdonalds tend to not give a fuck (which I can totally understand), end result is slow service and shitty products at the stores I usually use. bring on automation