1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

How long before Automated Macdonald's

Discussion in 'Science' started by sonick_25, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Not only that, when you try to order at the counter to save time, most of the time they walk you back to the touch screens to assist (train) you to order through them instead.
    I know they are only doing what they are told, but they are actively contributing to their own employment redundancy.

2. power

power Member

it's a start.

3. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

there's amazing automation going on in factories and production. look at the Tesla gigafactories. :shock:
    every task imaginable could have a robot performing the function if they really wanted to pursue that. still requires stacks of engineering, by humans, to make it happen.

4. power

power Member

plz to be looking at the thread title.

5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

burger flipping robots.
    i'm done. ciao!

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  6. Draxx

Draxx Member

And my answer to this is "Sorry, I don't work here, you do". Same applies in Woolworths and Coles. I actively use the proper checkouts and will continue to do so until I get discount for doing it myself.

7. power

power Member

well everyone knows what an automated factory looks like, so yeah - what does an automated restaurant look like?

8. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i dont know you said you saw one somewhere. cooking isnt all that complicated. especially maccas which has designed its "production line" into being a very systematised, and quick, process already.
    it still takes x amount of heating time for the cooking of the 'hot' portion of the burger. maccas is a mini assembly line, probably conducive to full automation. and also there are better burger joints around the traps...with better patties, nice lightly toasted buns, better sauces. etc.

or a frozen packaged thing from an iga put in the microwave for 2 minutes :lol:
    you could automate that and just have customers push a single button and have it spit out a warmed burger from a slot.

my wife works in a restaurant kitchen. it's a bit above the standard of a burger joint :) but the processes are still very straight forward. it comes down to quality fresh ingredients well prepared, and a flexible menu, and chefs with a bit of flair.

and the human contact aspect of being served by a skilled person. versus an empty dispensary where you press a button like a vending machine :lol:
    startrek replicators ftw. voice activated.

it is precisely that machines can do a better job and more quickly that is the cornerstone of industrialisation.

did you ever visit M.Y.O. sandwich bars? an assembly line where the customer assembled their own bespoke sandwiches from troughs of ingredients? they were in the CBD at one stage.

automation is deferring the entire process to someone else - the machines and their machinists. the customer makes a selection. plop!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  9. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

More automation scaremongering... robots would probably do a better job .. get the order right... give a better consistent product.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

As long as the food is fresh I wouldn't care. In fact I'd welcome it.

11. shredder

shredder Member

You start with packaging standardisation for the input of consumables.

So ingredients get delivered, and from there they're able to be consistently auto- scanned, unpacked and placed into receptacles which feed into the burger-making station.

At that station, the order is mechanically created (leave the details to engineering), bagged up and then conveyed and released to the consumer.

It's half about the feedback/sensors, innit.

I don't doubt that all the individual components exist to make it happen. Such rote process is one of the simpler automations, is it not?

12. power

power Member

burger and fried don't seem to be a terribly simple thing to automate.

just think about all the variations.

13. shredder

shredder Member

I don't mind coding for 1000 variations, once. Bring it on.

14. omen_child

omen_child Member

I'd suggest that McD's, etc aren't restaurants.

True restaurants aren't likely to be automated anytime soon, as they're as much about the experience as the food. I would however, probably prefer a vending machine over one of the fast food outlets. They have terrible variances in service and quality.

15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

edit: updated video

adamsleath likes this.
  16. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

...and there it is

A machine attendant to stock the machine and clean it.

And a checkout / ordering machine to process payment

Idiocracy by design . It’s already here.

The machine itself built in an automated factory. Human cattle queue up at the ordering console. Derp.

Gee I think I might just make my own burgers.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They describe themselves as this and probably are officially classified as this, but it's pretty loose and I would never personally describe them as a restaurant because that would elevate them to a status they really are nowhere even remotely close to :p

18. Draxx

Draxx Member

I suppose at least the robot gets the meat and cheese between the two halves of the bun, unlike half the staff at McD's :)

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

You'd rather humans spend all their time pushing buttons and pulling levers?

McDonalds are the epitome of consistency. In a world where people want things that are familiar - where Apple iPhone users don't ever want a new phone that's different, or Microsoft Windows users baulk at the idea of a new interface - McDonalds fits in perfectly with this model of consistent mediocrity aimed squarely at the average. Unchanging, uninteresting, consistent for decades. Just the way humans like things.

McDonands are the most consistent restaurant. Where else can you visit a restaurant nation-wide and know EXACTLY what you're going to get?

20. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

what do you want them to do? apart from give you a job?

you certainly dont need me, you've automated it.

humans also get bored with sameness. they also need variety. provided by gimmicks designed into successive generations of toys.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019