How long before Automated Macdonald's

Discussion in 'Science' started by sonick_25, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Hater

Hater Member

phones and computers are not experiences, they are tools

restaurants are an experience

very different

2. omen_child

omen_child Member

Consistency in the ingredients, I agree.

Execution is anything but. Coffee goes from good to disgraceful. Burgers come out sloppily assembled and fries are cold.

3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Febo...

[​IMG]

:lol:

JSmith

4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I just realised the thread title says "MacDonald's" and now I want to die

5. Hater

Hater Member

old macdonald had an automated farm

shredder and adamsleath like this.
  6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

A restaurant by definition is a place that sells food you can eat on premises. "Experience" is subjective and emotional interpretation you add for yourself.

A "restaurant" has no bearing on quality, emotion, or anything else. And like any other product or service, the price typically dictates what you get out of it. Much like I can have a holiday in a motel in the suburb over from my house, or in a Swiss Chalet, and have two vert different "experiences".

McDonalds is, by every definition, a restaurant. Is it a good one? Shit no (well, I don't think so, subjectively, but that's merely individual opinion). But again, quality was never a mandatory part of what a restaurant should be. All goods and services fall on a spectrum of price and quality. McDonalds happily and successfully exists waaaay at the bottom end of that spectrum.

Beyond that, who are you to tell the masses what they can and can't enjoy? I'm told every day that things are good because they're popular - music, software, movies, games, and the rest. The more mass appeal, the better, apparently. McDonalds is easily in the top 3 restaurants ranked purely on number of customers per year. By mass appeal, the 68 million people who eat there every day seem to at least be satisfied enough with the restaurant.

And before you criticise them for mass appeal, consider all the things in your life that you use and consume that also exist at that scale of mass appeal.

Feel free to dislike them personally. I do - I think their products and service are terrible. But I'm under no illusion that they don't classify as a restaurant because my personal "experience" there was bad.

I'm heavily pro automation. Most humans spend most of their lives existing through rote execution. And not just the employed ones, either. I enjoy challenging people and pushing them well outside of their comfort zones to do something new, creative and complex that they never would have thought to try had they merely existed their entire lives. And those sorts of things require much more effort than a weekend or a week of annual leave.

Bring on mass automation. Bring on 50% unemployment or more. I cannot wait to see this frail basket we threw all our eggs in shatter and the ensuing panic of people who can't think for themselves, or imagine a world different to the one they were born in to and forced to partake in.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  7. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

this already is the situation. over privileged people such as myself are not equipped to do real work, and spoiled by the excess production of modern industrialisation. hence the idiocracy reference.

the more dependent people are on others' productivity the more useless they become.
    conversely, people like yourself become more valuable assets to the elites paying them :lol:

we all play our parts. i'm happy to do my bit for a lopsided economy that outsources its production to china and japan...and other places :D

the west's IP and foreign investments keep it sufficiently intertwined that it doesn't really matter.

the alternative is to learn valuable skills and employ them in service to large corporate employers. whacky do.

but of course in having free time to pursue hobbies that were formerly work practices is a nice luxury to enjoy.

8. elvis

Corollary: everything is useless outside of perpetuating the species. Usefulness is entirely subjective to the times, and isn't a worthy metric of anything.

With that in mind, I propose the point of view of an optimistic nihilist - if everything is pointless, then just have fun (as long as you don't take other people's fun away). Create for creativity's sake. Make for making's sake. Build for building's sake. Learn for learning's sake. Particularly once the robots can do all the day to day stuff. We can invest our time in becoming true renaissance people.

Robert Heinlein proposes:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Sounds like a good start to an interesting life (perhaps excluding the dying part). Far better than sitting at a desk pushing paper or bytes around (or flipping burgers, or gardening, or whatever rote nonsense we fill our lives with).

I mean, it's going to be a fucking mess between now and then (again, I'd hate to be in the first 50% unemployed, but I'll have fun watching it from the bleachers). But once we're all unemployed, the future is looking much better for all of us together.

9. Hater

Hater Member

did you just totally not read anything i wrote and then in your own mind substitute what you wanted me to write?

you said that people aren't willing to try different OS's and phones and things

i said that phones and computers make your life easier if they just work, nobody outside of this forum cares about them, they are tools, they are boring, nobody wants to spend hours relearning tasks they already know how to do with what they have currently

restaurants are an experience, you eat, you meet friends there, its a part of life, eating is very important. yes, mcdonalds is shit tier food for shit tier people, and very mediocre. if you don't eat you die, and not taking an interest in food is not taking an interest in life, as with what you just said

to put this on the same plane as someone not willing to learn a new OS or phone is totally different, phones and computers are not necessary for good life. good food is very important to have a good life. 68 million people suck at life... surprised it's not more tbh

mcdonalds has a lot more in common with android based handsets than it does to apple ones anyway

ie)

they're both for plebs

(i'm joking, relax a bit, nobody cares what phone you use, caring about phones died in 2014 or so)

interestingly, i found a new job for all of those displaced burger flippers

[​IMG]

i wonder what happened to that service...

10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i like the heinlein quote. it is because those who are motivated to do these things off their own bat - perhaps under a bit of external pressure - but not necessarily, that great innovations occur. it isnt all about "desperate existential problem solving", nor forced servitude. we've had a lot of spare time for research and development afforded by plentiful food and water supply. agriculture is only a small part of the economy. so the luxury economy has diversified and expanded.
    there's always going to be the push push pushers driving people to do things better faster more efficiently all that crap, but the prime motivations also include curiosity, and simply the desire to do and achieve for personal gratification and meaning.

and yeh. the privileged classes will expand due to them having more time to develop outside of drudge. but this has already happened to a large degree.

as to what systemic changes will stop certain people going through the motions and creating and executing largely irrelevant and unproductive jobs just for the sake of punching a time clock in an office... no idea...i suppose it keeps them busy and satisfied to some degree.

the excesses are gigantic. and there is more product on the shelves than they can sell most of the time.

11. elvis

People only eat alone at McDonalds? From what I've seen, they're always in large social groups there. Typically as some sort of weekly social ritual. All the hallmarks of quality human "experience".

By your definitions above, McDonalds meets all of your odd requirements for a restaurant (you know, outside the actual definition of "purchasing and eating food on premises").

Conversely, if I eat a a Michelin Star establishment alone, does it lose its restaurant status? Are those ramen restaurants I see full of singles eating in silence not restaurants because they aren't with friends?

So restaurants aimed at commoners lose their status as a restaurant? Is it a class bias thing you have against them claiming restaurant status?

I dunno. Nobody can convince a die-hard Apple user to try something better for them. Sounds a lot like a McDonalds customer to me.

12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Maccas is shite... better to eat the box the burger comes in. :lol:

I used the live on it when younger... now won't touch it. Would rather a proper burger from a burger/chicken/f&c shop or home made.

JSmith

13. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Oi JS,

What about the jobs? Cabbies won't get a gig at maccas either. FAAARKKK now what?

14. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

You mean all the 15 year olds they pay stuff all? Quite similar to Uber huh? ;)

Automation will result in technological unemployment... there are various economic theories about the effect of this and how extensive it is or would be.

I guess one doesn't need to purchase shite food to think that people's jobs would be affected by automation and be concerned about same.

JSmith

15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

. in a world of plenty. the unemployed are given monopoly money to purchase the produce. or there will be no customers to consume it. or like with a lot of food it gets scrapped and recycled because there is a glut most of the time.

people find things to do. and they create jobs so other people have jobs.

"jobs n growth" - Malcolm Turnbull. @somethingtodoborednow.com.au

16. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

My next step was to call you a hypocrite.

But that post at least showed some due thought. I think your cabbie thing's personal and if you step back you might see it for what it is.

17. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Well you'd be very wrong mate, it is just my opinion on the issue... simple as that.

The mood here this afternoon has been terrible for OCAU... I hope we all get back to some jokes soon. :Paranoid:

[​IMG]

JSmith

18. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I absolutely agree with this statement... However, I don't see why one cannot be integrated with the other.

I went to a Japanese restaurant in London and it was cutting edge. You were greeted by a waitress and seated immediately. Built into the tables were screens for each person. From that point on the only time you saw staff was when they were seating other people or bringing food/drinks out.

You ordered from the screen and you could play multiplayer games with other people at your table while you wait. You could also access the kitchen cams to watch your meal being prepared. It was amazing and nothing short of an excellent experience.

Being able to order and be delivered food and drinks (mostly drinks) when you desired without having to catch the attention of a passing waiter and then waiting 15 minutes for the drink to be served was simply sensational. The staff could focus on the things that matter, everything came perfectly on time. They even had lunch time business specials where you were guaranteed to be in and out in 45 minutes or it was free.

power and adamsleath like this.
  19. broccoli

broccoli Member

There's a difference between having the means of doing that, and just doing away with staff and leaving people to stand about using terminals and then waiting interminably. They still had service staff to bring the orders.

The japanese seem to be good at getting people served quickly, those conveyer-belt sushi places are designed for that too.

20. RnR

RnR Member

Short story on the robotic takeover... story moves through two scenarios, the American one (yes - starts in the fast food store), and the Australian one :)

https://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm

Not sure if the OP had this story in mind... :)