1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

How long before you retire a HDD ?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Yehat, Jul 14, 2020.

?

How long before you change hdds in your PC or NAS ?

1. Only when a drive has failed or failure is imminent

37 vote(s)
    54.4%
  2. Only when an upgrade is required due to additional requirements (e.g. capacity, speed, tech)

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Periodically - Whenever the warranty runs out

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. Periodically - After a certain amount of usage/time (please specify)

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. Whenever I feel like it

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. Never / Not Applicable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (please specify)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. I like dragons

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. mareke

mareke Member

The HGST Ultrastar drives I bought weren't for a NAS. They are used as storage drives in a desktop computer while one is used as an external drive for backup purposes. They power down when not used & are quiet when in use. A few years ago I bought a Western Digital Black drive & it vibrates & gets hot & doesn't power down. I was glad to retire it. I've never had a HGST Ultrastar drive develop a bad sector despite many years of daily use. I did buy an Ultrastar drives once which was faulty despite being new & it was replaced under warranty.

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The older Ultrastars were garbage, they failed so badly and so often people dubbed them the Deathstar. Production from 2010 did improve a bit but the market mostly dominated by WD drives during that time for price, reliability and longetivity. HGST aren't as common nowadays for consumers, but they are prodominantly used by OEM'ers in business and enterprise areas, they've improved a bit since being bought out by WD.

3. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I have some oldish Hitachi drives (3TB~), worked in my PC just fine but as externals they are not great. When Idle they just seek and seek and seek for hours. The drives work fine otherwise ,read and write data just fine, just very loud when idle.

4. Renza

Renza Member

I believe it was the Deskstar that was dubbed as the Deathstar

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

Correct and it was IBM (then Hitachi/HGST and now WD), and an eternity ago.

choice in HDD's are very limited these days.
    [​IMG]

I've had drives from most of those brands over the years. Codata, Miniscribe, and Plus would be the only exceptions.

Groff and cdtoaster like this.
  6. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Temperature is becoming a very interesting question for me. My rack lives in the garage and while there are chassis fans that are controlled by an STC-1000 and run pretty much permanently in summer, on the really hot days I start to see very high temps and I've even seen my QNAP NAS kick out a warning telling me that if the temperatures increase anymore it will shut down to protect itself. Only a handful of times and it's never actually reached shutdown, but when you get a string of ambient temps over 45C, heat soak gets into the garage too. My HGST drives are supposedly rated to 60C... and I'm pushing that limit every now and then... so far so good. I don't want to move it inside since eight mechanical drives are relatively loud and I don't really have an appropriate space to put it.

Most electronics are rated up to 45C ambient so I'm still within spec (just) and it's rare that I actually get to these temps. Maybe one day if/when the current kit dies I will look into quieter alternatives and look to move it inside while also creating a more sound proofed space to house it, although looking around the house I can't quite see where it would fit until after one of the kids move out :p

(It is worth noting that the backup NAS lives inside and is only powered up once a week to do backups so never gets anything like those extremes)

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The HGST drives start shitting itself when you run it for a while at near 60’C. Backblaze did some tests ages ago and so have I.

8. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Define "a while", I'd love to read anything on the topic, but generally you get things like this that say "How much does operating temperature affect the failure rates of disk drives? Not much." But then they aren't testing the extremes. Most of the talk around is from enthusiasts who generally go with the "no way man, that's waaay too hot... mine only run at 35C"... but nothing more than conjecture. Vague things like the bearings won't like it or general warnings about data loss. Most other things I read talk about a decrease in the operating life of the equipment, but these are usually on the premise of a sustained temperature rather than the occasional extreme. Even so, a 50% reduction in a 1,000,000 hour MTBF is still something like 50 years. Even assuming this is pushing the drives towards an even worse 80% reduction we are still talking 20 years life. But yes I understand the potential failure potential.

It's never sustained, this year it was one day, for a total of about two lots of an hour each, or probably around three hours near that before things cooled off. After seeing that error I turned off "Smart Fan" and just set it manually to 100% all the time (something I forgot about until now), although I'd like to think the fan would get to 100% at that sort of temp anyway. I haven't seen the error since, so maybe the higher speed fans kept the whole system just that little bit further away from building up heat...?? who knows. But normally they sit in a far more comfortable operating range.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I refused to install my rack and gear inside the garage, mine gets particularly warm in summer due to just simple corrugated iron sheeting on the roof then it's straight into the garage space. I just don't think it would last. I have concerns for my solar inverters longevity which is why on hot days I try and open up the garage to at least allow some airflow.

10. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

It's spent five of its six years in there and it is the same straight flat steel roof as you have. My inverter was very unfortunately installed on a west facing wall (things I didn't know at the time). I have built a nice shade for that and it's never been an issue (it also helps that where it is means the fence and the neighbour's house block some of the sun too. But if it were to ever die or be upgraded I would be looking to move it elsewhere... although I don't really know if the house provides a better place without very long cable runs.

Watch both of these spaces I suppose.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah should be fine but I just wonder if the high temps decrease efficiency of the inverter. I'd be keeping a close eye on the inverter fan, must be pumping quite hard at times.

12. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I believe mine is 100% passively cooled (Goodwe GW5000D-NS).

You can monitor the temp and a couple of months after it was first installed I noticed that it appeared to be cutting out for what appeared to be temperature reasons on two days which led to building the shade and there have been zero similar events since (although there was never a shutdown error in the log). While ambient temps are never consistent, in Dec18/Jan19 I hit 60+ on 18 days and 65+ on six. Last summer it was only 10 and three respectively. The time over 65C has also been cut in half with the shade, but it could just be cooler days?

The thing is rated to operate in up to 50C ambient, although even in SE Melbourne we can get very closed to that (occasionally) and direct sunlight would increase that dramatically. It also warns that the inverted can get over 60C during operation, so I suppose it's expected to hit those temps. From what I can see efficiency isn't particularly affected either. I'm still seeing output peaks of 5.07kW (the max for this unit) during the minutes over 65C.

As with all things, time will tell how long it actually keeps performing as it should.

13. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Wow that image takes me back. I remember my joy at purchasing the early Fireballs, and my absolute delight purchasing my first 74GB raptor and then my later two 150GB Raptors. Good times.

14. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

About 20000 hours because of a lazy google search.