How long did it take you to get used to the XBOX controller?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by deepspring, Apr 9, 2018.

1. deepspring

deepspring Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

I just bought an XBOX One S from JB Hi-Fi, it came with a few shit games that I'll never play (Steep, The Crew and PlayerUnknowns Battlefields.)

I bought one game that I've been dying to try for a while, Overwatch: Origins, but so far I'm finding the controller a bit of a handful (no pun intended.) I've inverted the Y axis on the right thumb stick (used for looking) to make things more natural for me, but I'm still struggling because it's a little slow in reaction time.

I haven't played the game past the tutorials as yet (I'd be easy pickings online).

So, how long did it take you to get used to the XBOX controller? was it instant for you or did you struggle?

2. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

Takes practice, after a while I started to increase the sensitivity. I still struggle.
    I've tried the mouse and keyboard converters and while they help its still not as good as PC. Xbox has said they are going to support M+Kbd soon. I just hope there is widespread adoption.

3. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

God I hope so, because I really suck with the controller. I’m trying my best on the training map, but damn it’s hard - my brain just doesn’t want work.

4. power

power Member

play offline, go buy the Halo collection and play that.

honestly though, i dunno not long.

invert? lol

elvis likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

I might actually do that next pay. Thanks

6. power

power Member

it's usually pretty cheap, someone is bound to have it laying about.

or you can plug it into your PC and start playing offline games there most of them have controller support.

deepspring likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

Will definitely keep an eye open for it in my travels.

I have two old macs, unfortunately gaming isn’t their strong suit.

8. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I've used XBox controllers for other genres for ages, still can't play shooters with it to save my life.

9. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

I can't seem to adapt to 3rd person and 1st person shooters. Doesn't matter how much I use the training mode's.

10. power

power Member

maybe something that has heavy handed aim assist - GTA5 had quite heavy handed aim assist - tbh almost every console game seems to have heavy aim assist. But playing hours of these games it gets way easier. I was kb/mouse pretty exclusively for years and only really started playing console 3rd/1st person games in the last few years and adapted pretty quick - it's all practice.

deepspring likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

Today was a bit different. I was trying out the different character classes and found some easier than others to adapt to. I guess it’s horses for courses.

I’m still shit, but I’ve found a compromise.

12. trippyfoo

trippyfoo Member

I've always loved the Ms controllers. since the OG xbox days with the duke... :)
    It's always going to be a compromise though ,imo . . . esp against the kb/mouse combo.
    as mentioned previously , practice practice practice..

13. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

I’m getting better at, I playing short bursts of AI matches each day now. Still 30% accuracy.

14. newtosystems

newtosystems Member

been playing xbox since the 360 came out and I still get X and B confused...

15. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

I’ve given up on Overwatch, focusing on FortNite and Diablo 3 instead. FortNite is still really hard, but it’s decent entertainment value.

16. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

This is the problem I have. I've had an Xbox one for ages now (with BF1 and others) and I swear to god I can't play FPS to save my life (I die haha).

But I love using the controller for racing games cause throttle control is pretty great.

17. trop

trop Member

I play with look inverted on PC with a mouse but it stuffs me up big time on the consoles so I play with normal look on a gamepad.

When I first switched across years ago I found turning down the look sensitivity on FPS helped a lot while I getting used to the gamepad but I generally turn the sensitivity up now.

18. ecroF

ecroF Member

the best thing I ever did was un-learn inverted. ESPECIALLY using controllers. It'd be seriously disorienting in 3rd person too.

19. power

power Member

Inverted look has only ever made sense in flying.

20. sardines

sardines Member

I am pretty new to consoles and grew up on keyboard and mouse. I was recently gifted a PS3 with Red Dead and last of us and sort of got used to P3 controller and enjoyed the games. I brought a second hand xbox one console on OCAU forum and controller is much harder to control over PS3 so far - I tried fallout 4 and Doom but so hard to control which wrecks the playability. I want to eventually play farcry 5 and RDR2 but worried of the controller- more practice i suppose. Also controllers are not precise like keyboard and mouse