How mainstream games butchered themselves and why it’s my fault

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

It's not new, but it's the first time I've come across it, maybe others haven't seen it

By Tom Francis

Bulletstorm's creative director responds

Source and full article

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

COD and most mainstream games are just following the Michael Bay formula: if it's got enough guns, explosions and bewbz the game will sell despite lack of story or any decent gameplay...

3. Queenie

Queenie Member

personally I think games could do with a little more boobs.

And gameplay.

I don't like hearing about how a game developed for 3 years ends up having a 3 hour story mode because it was cross-developed for 5 different consoles and pushed the graphics to their limits.

I spose this is why exclusives probably tend to be better than others:

examples: monster hunter, zelda, crysis, total war series.

There are, of course, exceptions, but these are mostly due to the integrity of the developer.

4. Linkin

Linkin Member

Things like this get me: "I don't like ARMA II, the controls are confusing"

Well, did you jump straight into the game, or go into the options/game controls menu first? Did you lower the headbob from "seasick" to "realistic" ? Did you disable mouse smoothing? Did you even look at the keybinds?

And did you play the bootcamp missions? They teach you almost everything!

The problem is that people assume they already know the basics. Maybe for your simple FPS. WASD+R+E+Space+ mouse keys. Number keys for weapons.

However many games are much more complicated.

Playing a game means you have to learn the controls, not just assume you know everything and then complain when you don't know how to do something required to continue.

5. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

I enjoyed Bulletstorm, for a game that offers nothing but going straight and following the exact word/line of everything, it was enjoyable.

Let's face it, most game developers have fucked the bare-minimum line of linear or 'Go this direction force-ably' and it won't get raised or changed. It's easier to reproduce a new game by the same developer but give it slightly different textures and title to re-sell again.

6. Bertross

Bertross Member

Stop playing cod that was my resolution to this. Now i skip all the cut scenes in diablo 3 because ive finished it to many times!

To me some games are to accessible. They have this pace to them and somewhat addictive want to go forth and skip all the content and just be done with it.

BF3 is for me an example of a game that to me never should have had a story mode. I never played bfbc2 story either.

Its games lile skyrim that hold your attention with a decent story and a sense of adventure and a decent learning curve and a want to listen to the stories within its world.. The game bastion does this well with in game narative without the need to have text on your screen. Its most likely the reason that game was so good.

Maybe the question is... Are the games just plain rubbish with no sense of anything yet we buy them anywaus when steam has a sale on, is more likely the truth then a few asshole gamers. Its also amazed me when people in the likes of COD and the BF series spraying random bullets around wonders their accuracy was to the warzooo

7. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

This whole article and it's response makes me cringe.

"Example: enter a room. Kill enemies. The exit door now has an arrow saying “go there”.

“DICK” PLAYERS: Fuck you, you don’t tell me where to go, I want to discover it myself.

THE REST OF THE WORLD: Thanks, I lost my orientation fighting all these dudes, and you saved me some time – I don’t need to test every door now.

See what I’m saying here?"

It's not meant to be a slightly interactive movie experience, it's meant to be a game - and fucking hopefully at times slightly hard. What the hell is wrong with getting stumped for a few minuets... not like there are not step by step guides to help you if you get really lost anyway.

My 11 year old brother needed no help getting through the ARMA 2 campaign... and what was so hard about that anyway, the fact you had to know how to use a map?

It's not like you can even GET lost in a game like bulletstorm or CoD or whatever so i'm not sure why those games then go OTT to tell you where to go. There is literally no space to move around you could close your eyes and press W while holding the shoot button and you can progress. Shit in MoH you didn't even have to bother shooting...

8. gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

I don't have a problem with those AAA games, they're good entry level media for non gamers and are an important part of keeping the industry alive. Any real gamer knows there are still great experiences to be had out there, you just have to look a little more indie, definitely not a bad thing at all.

9. Osiris

Osiris Member

I disagree: there is a place for different levels of interactivity in games. However the example given of a big "go here" marker is a cop-out for bad level design.

10. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

You mean like portal and its' level design? :p

11. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

No they are a huge problem and the whole reason why the industry is so bad because instead of quality gameplay and technology advancement we have endless repeats of the EXACT SAME THING every 11 months...

'Gamers' wank on about story and how they made deep emotional connections to the characters. Or how cool that set peice in the latest CoD was. Instead of their own interesting emergent stories that arose from the gameplay. 'I did X like this' "Oh, that's interesting I never thought of that because I did X like that instead and then this had a really cool consequence" or whatever fuck...

Almost all 'indie' games suck balls anyway (not you hotline miami I love you)

12. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

People want something different. The CoD formula was cool and interesting when it came out, 138 games in 5 years later it's getting not surprisingly old.

Humans need variation. Give us the same game over and over and no matter what it is we'll find a flaw and give that as the reason of all that is wrong with gaming. Bulletstorm was a tonne of fun for me, but then I've never played a CoD game, played a little bit of BFBC2 (then decided it wasn't for me) and it's a great after work "blow the crap out of everything" stress reliever. I also really enjoyed Spec Ops purely because it was a change of pace. I like Lego games despite them holding my hand, because damned if there's anything so pointlessly fun out there like them.

It doesn't matter what it is, make too many of a game and the world will slowly change. Overuse a cinematography technique, overdo a music genre, people will get sick of it. It's why genres and tastes are always changing.

13. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

No one would complain if the formula was actually interesting to begin with.

Something with some substance.

14. fileant

fileant Member

multiplayer gaming was awesome from 1996-2003, but then people started camping with other people too much and people stopped being nice or nasty overtook. Something happens to some people in online games over many years and they go pretty strange online. I saw many awesome ppls go bitter over time. After that I was never game to look at WOW, did not even look at one screen for fear of what it may do (after meeting some WOW players in a real pub they seemed crazy and drug ridden).

Left 4 Dead was the only recent game of that type I really liked enough to play multiplayer, although "Verses" was full of nasty.

Half life and Prey were OK in single player, could play them to the end without dieing of boredom.
    Dark Messiah Might and Magic was pretty damn nice to play all the way. Did not really get the bad reviews it got.
    PoP Sands of Time was fun (although really buggy in one spot).
    Oblivion was fun, but got stupid.

Skyrim I got annoyed after I died once at the end of the first cave I found and never went back. Most others I bought (steam addiction), loaded played 10 minutes and never went back. I suppose there are a few I wanted to play more but never got round to it (yet).

Maybe the reason they are boring is the age group went up over the years, and many of us buy and are happy to play for 10 minutes or an hour or whatever and that's it. Like Crysis and sequels and a few others I bought just to play with the PC and benchmark. Was happy to throw a turtle or slap a zombie for 10 minutes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  15. garetz

garetz Member

I used to play 100s of games in my youth, but games just got incredibly boring, i dont want to keep playing 2d games with swivel on my screen, i want 3d immersive massive multiplayer games. The tech is behind the expectation.

also somewhere along the lines the graphics became more important than the gameplay, which is a huge mistake imo.

16. fileant

fileant Member

The sad truth is many 2D games are good. It is easier as there are less variables. Most get boring when you defeat the logic though, but I find that fun.
    "Defense Grid: The Awakening" is fun, but the problem with good games is the levels run out... not a great feeling. It is sort of 3D with 2D game play, so the 2D gameplay is what makes it easy to make good.

I probably liked the 2D online twitch because it was pure reaction time, whereas the younger players now have the edge in 3D, more to think about (and almost no twitch), so it is hard to accept getting owned (almost pointless). It is people who grew up with 3D and also got obsessed, so it is like a double whammy of unfun.

One good thing about L4D is the team spirit is there because you are fighting computer opponents with a team, and part of the game is keeping the team alive. So it is a feedback loop that generally works, and people help out... especially when you play with Australians, it is awesome sometimes in chat, feel like a digger, lol. AS well as this, with no human opponents, not many people get angry.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  17. dslazar

dslazar Member

I think that the games have somewhat evolved in parallel to our attention spans getting shorter.

I think that the COD series capitalizes on this very thing. We play a COD, get bored and crave something new. Along comes a shiny new trailer for a new COD and we're sucked in to the next thing.

Some of us anyway ;)

18. fileant

fileant Member

If something is that popular something in me tells me to ignore it. I never looked at COD, well I think a youtube vid once, someone rush killed someone with a knife. That was enough for me to never look, lol.

19. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Which doesn't really explain why many of us can go back to older games and still enjoy them more than newer ones

If anything, my attention span for these sort of games (COD, Bulletstorm, MOH, dumbed down RPGs) is getting shorter, not for games in general

There's no doubt they're now made for idiots, kids, those who want constant action, all of that immature crap that I'm supposed to think is a good thing even though it's destroyed my hobby. Developers themselves admit it all the time

20. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

I for one love games that drop you in the middle of nowhere and leave you there to work it out yourself. The Myst series was awesome for this, as was Fallout 3 etc.

Here's a world, now go and explore and do stuff. Work it out yourself.

I played Crysis 2 with big expectations, only to end up hating it as it was nothing more than a trail through a tunnel of scenery. The most choice you got was a fork in the road that ended up at the same spot as the other road anyway. At least Crysis 1 had an island to wander around in.

Linear gameplay sucks, I'm always reminded of this pic:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.