1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

How many computers can i plug into one power outlet?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by ChEEkY ChiNo, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Aaron_85

Aaron_85 Member

well my mums caravan has 1 15A inlet for the aircon, and one 15A inlet for everything else

2. ViPeR-7

ViPeR-7 Member

notice the .au in the domain name? anything on here is bound to be in australian terms.

3. OP
    OP
    ChEEkY ChiNo

ChEEkY ChiNo Member

hehe so much technical jargon :S, im still reading it all. Glade to know you guys/girls have a broad knowledge in electronics :D.

4. D F

D F Member

That sucks, if you trip a breaker, what is the chances of you being able to reset it? Its quite obvious as to which one I know, but would they let you in there. That venue in this case is as good as none, since you can't even guarantee power in this case. Write them letter or something. having a bad power record (I assume) can affect your turn out in the further if you say "sorry, you guys cant have power any more, go home". It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.. But if the event was FREE on the other hand, or ridiculously cheap ...

5. OP
    OP
    ChEEkY ChiNo

ChEEkY ChiNo Member

How can you tell if a place has 3 Phase Power? And is there such thing as Single or Double Phase?

6. pyr0maniac

pyr0maniac Member

my power is good, half the appliances can go off and half stay on so i figure there is 2 seperate circuits. and EVERY POINT is a double power point :D

7. Aaron_85

Aaron_85 Member

normaly if the place is on 3 phase power, there will be a 3 phase outlet somewere or a large airconditioner that requires it. 2 phase is hardly used, but you do get some two phase motors and large hot water systems.

when we put in the mains for house, we always only use single phase as the 63amps/phase that is allowed is PLENTY for any domestic instilation, even if it is fully aircon. on rural propertys we have to (by law) put 2 phases in for some fuked up reason, and only ever put in 3 phase if there is a specific need for it (mainly big 3 phase aircons or very high load - say they have there office for there buisness out the back sorta thing))

8. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

The best way to tell if a place has three phase supply is to have a look in the meter box.

Two phase is commonly used for stoves, ovens and hot water systems. I have seen many three phase houses, but they are usually big places that need the extra grunt to run big air con systems, pool pumps, spa heaters, etc....

Two phase is also installed on rural properties so they can run welders, water pumps and things like that. If they are on a SWER line supply then it is more economical to do it that way.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2003
  9. Aaron_85

Aaron_85 Member

that way would work, but its not the best.
    if they have an off-peak water heater there will be an extra meter - and they may not know wether the hotwater is off-peak or normal. but its still pretty easy cause if theres like a little box on the board that means u have off-peak hot water.

so if u have off peak hot water:
    2 meters = single phase
    3 meters = 2 phase
    4 meters = 3 phase

if you dont have off-peak hot water then the number of meters is the number of phases ;)

10. Iceman

Iceman Member

Theres quite a bit of bagging of double adapters here.. but can someone show me a link from some offical source showing when how and why they're illegal?

11. Symon

They aren't illegal. If they were you wouldn't be able to buy them. However there are people making moves to have them banned in workplaces. Many commercial businesses and industries have already banned them from their sites, mostly to satisfy the requirements of their insurance company.

The problem with a double adaptor is, unlike a power board, there is no overload protection in the unit. So it is possible to overload the outlet in which it is plugged into.

I had a quick search and found this -

http://www.ecu.edu.au/GPPS/policy/hr/hr082.php

www.workcover.act.gov.au/pdfs/IB0906.pdf

Double adaptors are also banned from Flinders University

http://www.flinders.edu.au/ohsw/Electric/electrical.htm

http://www.flinders.edu.au/ohsw/NLWeb/NewsLtrs/OHS_NL-Mar00.html

And for those of you who trust those things that you plug into

http://www.ocei.vic.gov.au/downloads/DoubleAdaptor14-5-02.pdf

Double adaptors are fine provided it is only a small load. But for loads that are creeping up towards 10A (like at a LAN) they should NEVER be used.

Edit: added more links

12. beatsntoons

beatsntoons Member

This is a very interesting thread. By my computer desk, I have a 2 socket wall plug. I was thinking about getting something like this, to plug everything into:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products...ormer-spacings-white-d10512trpa_P4420141.aspx

I will be plugging in:
    1 x monitor
    1 x PC
    1 x powered speakers
    2 x external HDD*
    1 x external HDD caddy*
    1 x Xbox 360
    1 x desk lamp
    1 x router
    1 x phone charger

Grand total of 10 units or 8* if I only use one power adaptor for the external HDDs and caddy (they have the same power draw).

Anyone see an issue with this setup?

13. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Epic 10 year thread necro!

I don't foresee an issue with the above set-up.

14. power

power Member

Missed this thread first time around, you can plug quite a lot into one point, the issue is how much the circuit can handle.

15. beatsntoons

beatsntoons Member

HAHAHA omfg, I honestly thought it said 2013 :D :D :D

Sorry folks!!

Thanks for the advice :)

16. Symon

Wow, what a trip down memory lane.

17. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Probably even more relevant today. We're using more devices that use less power. A couple of months ago I bought an eight outlet Jackson power board from Bunnings. A good investment as they're all metal and are easy to screw onto the back of the desk.
    Only problem is it's already all used up as is another 6 way board. I wish someone made a modular unit so we could just clip more outlets onto the end.
    May I should use the IEC power boards.

18. Ninja_Harbinger

Ninja_Harbinger Member

Congrats! I'm pretty sure this is the longest necro I've seen :D

19. beatsntoons

beatsntoons Member

I was going to bump another thread on a different forum, but that was from May and I thought it was too big a thread revival to do, lol.
    May 2013 I mean!

20. MacroP

MacroP Member

Thread 10 year reunion. Now who brought the party balloons? :D

Edit - Just noticed the original thread "Say basic computer, 17", 2.6Ghz, 80G HDD, 52x Burner, 64Mb Graphics etc etc...." ...Wow - How things have changed. Now where's my Celeron 433?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013