How much do you download

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by th3_hawk, Apr 20, 2015.

1. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I've just moved (a few months back) from a pretty ordinary ADSL line to a 100MBit cable connection. Our household used to be pretty heavy users anyway with around 200GB or so a month in download (bugger all uploads) across the parents and three young kids.

Moving to the new house I figured that might go up a bit simply because it could go faster so we would use it...

...on top of that I've picked up Netflix and FetchTV... (and Hulu too)

20 days into the month we are currently sitting on a shade over 600GB, checking the logs on Sunday afternoon and the Apple TV (which has been on half the day) was over 20GB alone. It was cold and wet outside so we were inside more and even between shows while we were doing other things YouTube/Vevo was streaming music videos. A vast majority of the days

Pandora is on streaming at least one music stream to a set of speakers in the house. Also the XBone has downloaded a few games, something I wouldn't have attempted on the old connection (Halo digital collection was over 60GB alone!) A few Macs, a PC and a bucket of iOS devices get their updates when needed too (and a few of the kids games are creeping over 1GB too and updates are not deltas/incremental).

So yeah, on track to hit 1TB, something I never thought I'd do but in what I can only guess is a case of because we now have the bandwidth we have found ways to use it, it's all of a sudden a real possibility.

HD video is a killer!

So how about you? especially those that have picked up on the streaming services lately. Are others seeing the massive increases I have?

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Not much..... Sometimes I get an email saying I've used half of my allotment.

(Edit: 12Gb)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  3. Excursion

Excursion Member

When I was with TPG I would breeze through 1TB a month.
    With Internode I pretty much cap out my 400G limit.

1080p HD is pretty big, a single TV show can average out to be 50-60 gig for a single season.

4. bcann

bcann Member

This month we did 800gb of data. Lots of netflix, a few xbox games, xbox games updates, so smashed it pretty hard this month.

I also have 3 little youtube whores, wouldn't be the first time i woke up and walked past their room to find a tablet still on and just scrolling through youtube video's one after the other and they are asleep.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  5. krappo

krappo Member

I continuously reach my 1TB limit a few days short of monthly data reset :)

6. Minigoon

Minigoon Member

Optus cable? If so, the "novelty" of having unlimited will probably wear off in the next few months. :p

Used to be on a 500gb plan with Optus, but then their newer unlimited plans came out cheaper than my grandfathered plan so I moved over. Data consumed stays around the same but now I can get my grubby mitts on content faster since there's also the 100mb speedpack included (which my old plan didn't have). :lol:

7. Copie

Copie Member

So far this billing month (which the 13th-13th) Im at 2.7tb just on sabnzbd total amount would be around 2.9-3tb i suppose, had a power outage last night so it reset my modem traffic. My ISP doesnt record data usage on unlimited plans.

Thats not going particularly hard though, mainly downloading between 11pm-Midday.

[​IMG]

8. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

before i switched to streaming (via XBMC), i was always around the 200GB ballpark. Now, i rarely use any more than 100GB

9. kesawi

kesawi Member

Kids streaming video through YouTube and Netflix, buying games off steam, downloading linux distros, 4K Netflix content and FetchTV adds up to 400-500GB per month.

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

1TB as thats my cap.

If I had more quota I would probably buy bigger hard drives which means I would probably use all of that quota as well.

11. OP
    OP
    th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Yep, and lucky enough to be in a non congested neighbourhood (which I tested on a month to month plan before signing up longer term). While I'm sure there is some truth in that the novelty won't be around unlimited, rather around streaming content. If we get bored of watching stuff it will drop.

I don't feel like we have gone out of our way to download stuff simply because we can but we have taken up services because we now have the capability. Will our new found love of a massive video library fade? Maybe.

You mean in the last 7 days or last month???? Bloody hell that's a lot of data!! Is that representative of your "normal" usage?

Can I ask what sort of content you are downloading? I understand people who get a massive spike because they downloaded every episode of CSI ever made but isn't that a one off?

Assuming it's all video, the questions that spring to mind are how do you have time to watch all that? And more so, where do you store it all!? I know USB storage is cheap but when it's multi TB per month that adds up very very quickly. (NAS based would be even more expensive!).

12. Pugs

Pugs Member

all the Internets...

13. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I used to go through about 1tb a month on a normal ADSL2+ connection.

I'd just download shit for the sake of downloading. Trying to get a 'personal best' :D

Most ever downloaded was about 1.4tb.

The past couple of months though, haven't downloaded anything. But I've been watching a lot of Netflix :D

14. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I once hit like 900GB

But generally we use around 200-350GB a month.
    CBF using 1TB each month tbh, even though I can.

15. Minigoon

Minigoon Member

16. FiShy

FiShy Member

I do about an internet a month but sometimes it blows out to 1.5 internets

17. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

100GB last month. Not much out of the 512GB per month I have to use.

18. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

Unlimited Optus 100/40 NBN, house of 5 heavy internet users, we average 3tb down and 1.5tb up per month (averaged over 6 months).

19. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

so you're the one the government hired to collect all our metadatas

20. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

HAHA, yep.
    Fire up YouTube on ipad. Put ipad down. Come back tomorrow to find YouTube still going...