1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

How much light/lux/lumens do you need for streaming? Play Bars vs Elgato Key Lights for lighting

Discussion in 'Live Streaming & Content Creation' started by super kermit, May 29, 2020.

1. super kermit

super kermit Member

Play Bars vs Elgato Key Lights

As per the title I'm wondering how much light you really need for streaming and how many streamers run their lights at 100%?

Has anyone seen any links or videos for streaming/twitch?

https://www.archdaily.com/897277/ho...umens-youll-need-to-properly-light-your-space

Remember you need overall three lights, two at the front and one is a sidelight to act as a key light

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/key-light

2800 lm range of 2900 to 7000K adjustable

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/key-light-air

1400 lm range of 2900 to 7000K adjustable

https://www2.meethue.com/en-au/p/hue-white-and-color-ambiance-play-light-bar-double-pack/7820230N7

530 lm per light white and full colour spectrum

http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=show&cid=152&id=209

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32858122284.html

Seem expensive for what they are.

3150 lm 3300 to 5600k adjustable

I know there are lots of reviews on you tube about the Elgato lights and also the Philips system, but no one is discussing what % they run their lights at.

It seems pointless to buy a light that is as powerful as the Elgato if I'm only going to run it at 10 or 20%

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  2. Azrael

Azrael Member

It really depends on your background and camera.

Having more light than needed is always good practice.

3. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Up to a point... LOL

Don't place too much faith in lumen figures etc as there are all sorts of variables and manufacturers don't necessarily use the same standards as one another.

4. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

The lumen rating means jack shit if your just using a webcam. Webcams will auto adjust to whatever the hell they want and in most cases you need really bright lights because of the small sensor size.

As far as the brightness, with LED lights always get brighter / more watts than you need and dim them, most lights like the Elgato will use less LEDs and drive them harder meaning you have more heat and more current going through the LED chips, that means much lower life span.

If you can solder or are willing to learn (it's pretty easy) I'd seriously recommend making your own lights from LED strips, it can be a little expensive depending on how you do it but at the end of the day you'll have far better lights that you can fix yourself.

I'm currently making some for a friend using these Marswall high CRI strips, 5a PWM controller, Meanwell GE30I12-P1J PSU, some 5.5 x 2.1 DC Jack connectors (2 male in lines, 1 female inline and 2 female panel type) and the enclosure is just bent aluminium or steel sheet, haven't decided yet, probably 0.5mm thick. Also using a rivnut tool, M4 & 1/4".

Simple construction, total of 3m of strip split between 2 lights (1.5m each), strip cut into 15cm lengths and staggered for more even light, the LEDs take up about 15x17cm and the panels will be around 20cm square, bus bars for power, positive one side, negative the other. Both lights controlled from the one controller, the DC panel jacks connect them together with a 1.5m cable made with the male DC connectors, the female inline connector on a 1 - 1.5m cable from the lights to connect to the PSU. M4 rivnuts to hold the diffusing panel (not sure what that'll be yet) and the 1/4" rivnut for the tripod mount.

Very simple and far cheaper than any of the lights your looking at, think it'll cost around $50 per light (probably less) and most of that cost is the LED strip and metal sheet. I haven't made them yet but when I do I'll post a picture or maybe to an overview video once I make them.

Edit, excuse the crudity, this is the rough idea of the panels I'm making:

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    senzubeans and vladtepes like this.
  5. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Yes please looking forward to that with interest!!

6. mtma

mtma Member

I was going to say c-mount mod your camera and then get a nice second hand 8mm megapixel prime lens but the prices post covid on them have gone bonkers. If you're spending a few hundred you may as well reach for a better webcam.

7. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Sorry it's taken me so long, had to wait for the LED's to arrive from wanky land. I got my friends lights done and just finished uploading the video. I haven't as of yet done the soldering tutorial videos but I'll try to get them done in the next week or so.

Total cost for the lights was roughly $130 (not including tools) so pretty cheap really, they aren't very pretty but they do the job.

Audio is a little fucky as well.

iodine likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    super kermit

super kermit Member

I need it to look pretty too............

9. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

My video was just to show you don't have to spend a fortune on lights if you don't want to, that you can make much cheaper ones if you're willing to do a bit of work. The reason these lights aren't super good looking was because I was doing them in a way I've never tried before with sheet metal. If I'd used a mix of metal backer and wood I could make them much nicer.

vladtepes likes this.
  10. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

A bit of a necro bump.

But if you are searching for high quality lighting this kit is very good and you get 2 lights for the price of one elgato keylight.

Also in all the videos I have watched on lighting. Never do they bother talking about lumens. Where you position your lights and camera are FAR more important. A regular desk lamp will out perform professional lights unless you set them up correctly.

Spend your time researching how to set lights up. I have some cheap RGB flood lights for back ground and a single Viltrox lt116 panel 45 degrees from my face. Helps I am using a sony a6600 with a sigma f1.4 lens. But even when i was running a webcam this is all I needed to get good visuals. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/832142599

I will upgrade to larger LED panels when budget permits but I cannot imagine that happening any time soon. No money.

vladtepes likes this.
  11. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Two things to consider with LED lighting, at last in my opinion, to look natural.

Get lights with white balance approximating sunlight. ie 5000 K

Get high CRI value lights.(closer to 100 is better)

The colour spectrum is in measured in degrees kelvin (K) because of reasons.
    [​IMG]
    I think lights in the 5K-6K are best (when speaking about lights for illuminating a subject) and definitely don't go past 7000K and even that is a bit blue for me.
    [​IMG]

CRI stands for colour rendering index, where 100 is the 'perfect' rendering of natural light. (theoretically)
    [​IMG]
    Note the skin tones in the above image, the lower the CRI the more greens/blues will dominate what should be warmer colours.

SSJ4 likes this.
  12. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Aussiejuggalo any updates on your light builds?

i was going to go back and look at your video but it seems to be unavailable now.

13. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Sorry It was private, it's public again now. I had a reason but stuffed if I can remember why. I think in the video I did the wiring a bit dodgy lol.

vladtepes likes this.
  14. vladtepes

vladtepes Member