How much power does my computer use?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Skannerz, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Skannerz

Skannerz Member

Hey Everyone,

Housemates are trying to make me pay more because i use a PC (they all use mac laptops)

Just need to know how much power my computer would be using.

i5-2500k
    8 gig ram
    corsair 850w psu
    2x Dell™ UltraSharp™ U2312HM 23” Monitor with LED
    2tb green hdd
    asus rog motherboard

any help will be appreciated

regards,

Skannerz

2. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

There's no way to know without measuring it. Need more info just to guess.

If it's only on for an hour or so a day and is idling, could under 100Wh/day (same as their laptops). If it's on and folding 24/7, could over 3000Wh/day.

3. paulvk

paulvk Member

4. OP
    OP
    Skannerz

Skannerz Member

Okay cool, thanks for the reply. I've did download a program called "Joulemeter" which is saying its using 62-65 Watts. Not sure if this program is completely accurate but it might be more help then none at the moment.

5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

There's a graphics card missing from that list, but I'll assume something hefty but modern.

Under light use, such a machine might draw 150 watts (it might also draw a lot less, but it's hard to know). At full blast, perhaps 500 watts (almost certainly less).

I'm going to assume that, being a powerful machine, it's probably being used for gaming, so we'll say that on the whole it's averaging 400W for, oh, 10 hours a day. (I'm doing a high estimate on purpose here. You'll see why in a sec).

400W x 10 hours is 4kWh per day. That's 120kWh a month. Assuming you pay around 30c per kWh, that's $36 per month.

However: Depending on your actual usage patterns, that might be overestimating by a lot. Your light use might only be 100W, you might not game, you might only have it on for 5 hours a day. I don't know. What I've given you isn't a "worst case" estimate (full blast 24 hours a day, at the worst power rate Origin advertise, would come to about $250 a month!), but it's probably worse than your real usage unless you Fold.

And yes, those laptops do draw a great deal less power....you didn't mention models, but I don't think there's a Macbook that exceeds 40W at full blast. That's not because they're Mac's, mind, it's because they're laptops and those chassis can only dissipate so much heat.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    Skannerz

Skannerz Member

I probably have the computer on for around 5 hours a day? with about 2-3 hours a day playing games, GPU is a gtx580.

They've got 2 macbooks (2011) one 15" one 17" and a 11" macbook air.

I always turn the PC of after use and i turn everything off at the wall.

7. Falls

Falls Member

Don't worry about power usage ,your running your PC from a Green HDD!

Measure it.

F.

8. OP
    OP
    Skannerz

Skannerz Member

Yeah i might head to jaycar tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help, so effiecent OCAU :D

9. starkers92

starkers92 Member

I would say less than 350w while gaming, probably 30w at idle/browsing. Turning off at powerpoint is useless..

10. Amran

Amran Member

Sounds pretty unfair to single out your PC. If you use your usage figures against the numbers the Seekerr gave you you get:

2 hrs at 150W
    3 hrs at 500W

Which is 1.8 KwH per day x 30c = 54c a day or about $16.20 a month.

You've got heaters, fridges etc that would dwarf that usage. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you'd find things they have/do that contribute more to power use. Do they use lights more often than you...do they cook with an electric oven or a microwave? Do they open the fridge more often or use the heater? Do they open a window instead of using A/C?

I think they are being picky, petty and elitist....oh wait they are mac users right? :rolleyes:

I don't think useless is the right word, but it won't make much difference.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Idle on a GTX580 alone is around 25-30W depending on the card. Add 10W for the CPU and motherboard, 10W for everything else, and 25W for each monitor (about right according to reviews) and you can see that the light usage number around 100-150W I suggested wasn't crazy.

Gaming, now that I can put a name to the card, is probably more like 300-350W than $500.

So yeah, your numbers narrow it down a bunch, into the $10-20 per month range. That's comparable to a fridge, actually

(Fridges are one of the biggest single users of energy in a home, but the simple truth is that a modern fridge is very efficient at what it does, and isn't actually running for many hours in the day. A largeish but modern fridge-freezer costs about $15 a month to run)

12. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

^THIS.
    Any measurable difference between your PC and their laptops would only be a small percentage of the overall power bill.
    Lets say heating/cooling/fridge/microwave/TELEVISION/etc account for 75% for the total usage. You're left with 25%, split between X number of housemates.
    You said "they all" instead of "they both" so I'm gonna assume you have 4 living in the house.
    Assuming the power sources listed above are split evenly, now you each have 25% / 4 = 6.25%+-
    Even if you have a monster folding rig and use twice as much power as them, then you'll be contributing an extra 6% to the total power bill.

So how much is the total power bill?

I think this calls for a spreadsheet and prove the iBoys wrong.

Did OP get a powermeter over the weekend?

If not, the other cheap and dirty method is to switch off every single appliance, and check the reading at the fusebox.

13. Jonchilds

Jonchilds Member

My rig below uses:
    - 200W at idle
    - 300-350 Watts gaming
    - up to 450W in a stress test.

Standby power is about 15 watts (12 watts from the speakers). I'd take 30 W off the idle power if you're using the integrated i5 graphics.

2x Dell U2311H Monitors (~30 watt each, 1 watt standby)
    Phenom X6 1090T @ Stock
    SSD (OS), 2TB Black Drive (Games)
    Radeon 6870 1GB @ Stock
    2.1 Speakers, decent but nothing special. (13-30 watt)

Using this 3-5 hours a day puts me in the 1kWh/day range which is about $15 on my 60 day billing cycle.

14. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

sounds like your typical iDouche.

prove power usage on an appliance basis. a friend of mine had a shitty old fridge in the garage which alone was costing $300+ per quarter.

15. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

you can get energy meters from a range of places (i bought mine from COTD).

The cheap ones only have one value for calculating the rate per kw of electricity (with no decimal). So you have to round to get the calculation.

I think the more expensive ones are heaps more advanced, showing averages etc.

I used ours on the kettle to see what it did. The problem is there is a huge spike when it starts, which overloads the meter. Then it stays pretty constant.

Last time i was in aldi they had a pretty epic one for $20

16. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

17. Samuka

Samuka Member

+1. Dont buy the jaycar one. they are crap and unreliable. I have one of them and also the aldi ones. put them on a computer and they will give different results.

Put them on a light and they are ok.

18. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Yes. Avoid the Jaycar crap, it is only good for purely resistive loads which is only incandescent bulbs and toasters. Most everything else has inductive and capacitive load components that will completely throw out the measurements, especially computer loads.

I have used the above meters with very good results myself.

19. boron boy

boron boy Member

If they want to split up the power bill based on usage, you can't do it for just one thing (i.e. your PC), that's unfair. You have to look at everything. For instance they might use heaters more, or take longer showers (assuming electric water heater).

20. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

Ignore pretty much what "everyone on here has advised"
    Go out and buy yourself one of these

Belkin Conserve Insight Power monitor
    http://www.belkin.com/conserve/insight/
    http://dicksmith.com.au/product/M9972/belkin-conserve-insight-energy-use-monitor - $29 at Dick smith

It not only give you the power usage but it also puts it into a cost form so your stupid mac using housemates can understand the DOLLAR value your PC costs per month or per year! .. Also your GTX580 is a big power hog and you may want to upgrade that to a HD7870 that performs a little better but uses 3 times less power.

Also using the Belkin Conserve Insight on my System below it uses from 45w Idle to 340w full load everything at 100% maxed out power usage :) ( 30" Monitor not included )

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012