How much would you save if you turned all appliances off vs. leaving them on standby

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by thedunnyman, Jul 16, 2008.

1. thedunnyman

thedunnyman Member

Hey guys,

Someone just told me that turning LCD/plasma televisions totally off (as opposed to leaving on standby) would ave ~$500 a year.

Does this sound reasonable? I have no idea but would like to find out. We have 3 LCD televisions in the house, and our 24-port switch/server is on ALL the time. Does it really affect that much?

I found this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070811223616AAUBfhW It's talking about a decoder I'm guessing maybe it's quite similar? If it's this little, I probably wouldn't worry too much.

But we've got a lot of devices always plugged in:
    • etc.
    • Printers
    • Subwoofers
    • Guitar amplifier
    • Phone chargers

Anyone got anything to say? :):confused:

2. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

The more appliances you have left on standby the more they will consume in total. Even a mobile phone charge left plugged in and switched on, even though not charging anything, will consume some amount of power.

I know that in QLD you can borrow a device that plugs inline to the power cord and shows you how much power is used while that device is still in standby.

It all adds up. I used to leave my system on 24/7 but changed it to go to sleep. I have seen a bit of a reduction on the monthly bill.

3. Lespom

Lespom Member

The only thing I can suggest is to look in the manuals for your gear and see if they list standby power consumption as it will vary from make to make etc. One thing you might want to consider before powering off at the wall is any memory that might be lost, eg my receiver looses it's preset tuner settings if powered off at the wall and I know some VCR/PVR units loose the clock. There is also some/alot of debate as to the potential damage done to equipment by powering off/on regularly, I can offer no info or opinion on this, maybe others can comment?

4. Whisper

Whisper Member

How hard is it to read the OCAU front page?

5. sciencewhiz

sciencewhiz Member

Or just go and buy one of the little power meters from Jaycar.
    My ATX power supply type computer used 40 watts on standby, so I unplugged it and all the other ones sitting around the house. That's over 120 watts CONSTANTLY that isn't happening any more.
    I tested my older entertainment unit components which consisted of DVD, CD, Tape Deck, Video, modern surround sound amp and 15 year old tv.
    With the TV turned off, the power used wasn't even measurable.
    With it on, it was around 16 watts. The Active subs still pulled about 20 watts each on standby too.
    The microwave, printer and small stereo did bugger all on standby.

I wouldn't believe that JUST an LCD/Plasma TV would draw anywhere near 500 dollars worth of power on standby. I think you're being told stuff by someone with absolutely no idea. I can't do a direct calculation but you could work it out by 500 bucks cost per kw/h at 13 cents per kw/h.

My dedicated freezer with little in it was turned off and that I expect will drop things significantly, but lets face it, I use my clothes dryer which is incredibly bad in terms of energy used.

6. desertstalker

desertstalker Member

I used a power meter (jaycar) and from many devices (TV's DVD's etc) and the most any of them used was ~1Watt (several devices did not even register). So may devices don't use much at all.

7. ministryofsound

ministryofsound Member

Power usage is estimated and not an exact figure, so you could turn off your appliances at the wall for 2 months and it may have no effect on your power bill what so ever.

Power metre readings are an estimate over a short period, maybe 1 week, so when your power metre is read it will only tell you a certain amount of usage, say 1 week cost you $30, x 12 and that's you quarterly power bill. :thumbup:

8. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

This sounds like complete bullshit to me. Can you back it up?
    My meter has been counting up since it was installed. The exact reading is quoted on the bill.
    A couple of times I've had a letter saying "We couldn't read your meter, so we estimate your usage to be ..." and then it gets adjusted with the next reading.
    So once again, I say "Bullshit".

9. OP
    OP
    thedunnyman

thedunnyman Member

It is if you don't visit the website :(
    But thanks for the link, very informative!

Wow this sounds interesting. I think I worked out that...in a year there is 365*24 = 8760 hours. So if it costed $500 a year, that means each hour it costs $0.06. And if it costs $0.13 per kw/h, that means TVs on standby would use 500W/hour. That is not right yeah?

[EDIT: Forgot to mention I rounded my results :)]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  10. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

It certainly isn't right when you are measuring it in Watts per hour which isn't a unit of measurement. It is also 0.13kWh not kW/h. But your numbers were close in the end - it's 438.76751 watts of 24/365 use to rack up a $500 elec bill

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'll let you know how I go when I get my next power bill.

I'm been using a couple of devices that turn power points off at the wall and I'm testing it on all my pc gear and home entertainment gear.

Not sure how much I will save, if anything, but it will be an interesting result either way. Next power bill should be coming soon I think.

12. geniesis

geniesis Member

If I were to have a $400-$500 per quater power bill....does that seem like a lot to some people??

I just want to guage how power i'm actually using compared with others.

Also, the tuning of appliances vs. standby really only works if you have a lot of devices that go on standby as they do add up in the end.

13. Elder

Elder Member

I think our last bill was in the $400-$500 bracket too. That is for green power (added cost i believe I'm not sure how significant it is though) and its for a 4 person family... 2 computers 2 laptops 2 TVs 3 medium size fridge/freezers and 1 large freezer. Air con but never is used (maybe 3hrs total use this qtr). I work from home a fair bit too which I guess is a significant addition to power use.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  14. Pablo_H

Pablo_H Member

Do you have electric hot water/stove/oven?
    Just asking because it seems a lot to me, but I have gas.
    I get billed $140 every 60 days. I have two fridges, 3 a/cs, LCD TV, a PC on 24/7, fax and all the other normal stuff, plus I'm a night owl, so there's always 2 normal lights on.
    But then again my gas is only $65, so that's total $205 every 60 days, or quaterly ~$300

15. TMM

TMM Member

Standby or off? Most modern computers barely power down anything in "standby". At most it'll spin down the harddrives and lower the CPU clock.

If you mean off, something is seriously wrong with your PSU, or you have a LOT of USB devices being powered when the computer is off.

I concur. Where i am they are too lazy to check it everytime so they do the estimating business then adjust the next bill accordingly when they actually check it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  16. gmturner

gmturner Member

I bought a jaycar power meter(best $40 i spent)

ive found a few interesting things, my parents had a colour photo copier they acquired in a purchase of a company, it is farely old, my parents seldom use it so its been plugged into the wall, turned off for almost 2 years. I tested it, was pulling 170W while off thats roughly $70 per quarterly bill wasted on absolutely nothing, was quite shocking to say the least.

i know my computer pulls about 10W when off, always gets switched off at wall.

My router pulls about 7W, so i turn that off overnight.

most other appliances ive found use close to 0, nothing really stands out like the photo-copier.

i know its not related to standby but to compare my parents computer and my own:

Mine:
    E8400 @ 4.2ghz
    2gig 800mhz ram
    8800GT
    3 hardrive
    1 dvd drive
    Watercooling pump
    5 120mm fans.

consumes about 300W under load from what i can remember(should have written it down)

my parents computer

e2140 @ 2.2ghz
    2gig 800mhz ram
    No gfx card
    1 hardrive
    1 DVD drive
    1 80mm fan

pulled around 70W, to me that was amazing, if they were running 24/7 there would be around $120 difference per quarter in the two machines, my parents being the cheaper one obviously.

ill get my parents to ship me my power meter back over to me and test some more things and get some more concrete figures.

17. Kruzty

Kruzty Member

I guess this shows you that it might be worth buying a dedicated "torrent box" with very low specs for minimal power consumption as compared to leaving your main rig on 24/7

(of course this only applies to ppl who DO leave their PC on 24/7 downloading)

18. Pyros

Pyros Member

correct, watts per hour doesn't make sense given that the watt is a rate in itself - being the joule per second.

i'm rather interested to determine the power usage of my setup here. i do have a little meter that i can measure with - i haven't had the time to play with it yet - but as with any cheap meters you have to wonder how accurate they really are.

19. Aequitas

Aequitas Member

i have a question related to this, that i cant seem to see an answer to. I flick the 0/1 switch off on the back of my computer and push the big power on/off button under my tv when i go to bed (ie not the standby on/off button, little red light goes out all together). even though i am not turning them off at the wall is this saving anything? it should be seeing as the little lights go out, but are they still drawing power from the wall? also if you flick the wall switch off, is it stopping power leakage? or do u have to physically remove the plug from the wall?

Cheers guys.

(both income earners on Centrelink atm due to circumstances so $$$ is at a premium)

ps i have another quick question as well. Which do you think would be the most cost effective for laptops? ie charge and then unplug, run empty then charge again OR leave attached to power lead (this laptop spends 90% of its life in the same spot near the couch for on lap surfing and research.)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  20. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

The switch on the back of the PSU will defiantly switch it completely off, most probably the same for the TV. As long as you break the circuit somewhere, and any hard wired switch is going to do this, then you wont be using any power

Best leave the laptop plugged in at all times if you can, you don't do the battery any good to charge/discharge it. Turing the screen down on it will net you the biggest power savings but laptops are pretty low power as they are