How often do you reformat your PC?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Madengineer, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Perko

Perko Member

Remind me never to buy any SSD you put up for sale.
    For me, it's when I buy a new primary SSD. Other than that, never, unless another hardware upgrade makes things go screwy. But I tend to upgrade the PC in batches of parts these days, rather than one at a time like I did in my yoof, and I buy at the high(er) end, so the desire to upgrade is muted while the experience is good.

Yeah my current Linux partition got a clean install when I got my 950 Pro, so that started out on 16.04 LTS, but I rsynced all my shit back in, so I guess it's the same thing given the lack of black magic BS compared to a Windows install with old driver shit and registry crap laying around everywhere.
    Prior to that, the partition dated back to 8.04 LTS -> 12.04 -> 16.04. Haven't moved to 18.04, but it's on the cards as soon as I have a bit of time.

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

Smart thing to do would be to run all that crapware in a VM. restore to a snap shot after each piece of crap was tested, so you can start clean instantly each time, and not ruin your PC all the time with loads of bloat and spyware every windows thing seems to come with these days.

3. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

new hardware - especially replacement SSD.

I once used the samsung software to migrate from the old hdd to the SSD. Ran into a bunch of issues, was much better after i did a complete system format.

4. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

You insinuating I am dumb?

5. cvidler

cvidler Member

In the very specific way of not making use of the right technology to test software, then yes, very dumb.

(happy?)

6. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

I did try VM a long while ago, and found the shared Memory and CPU actually slowed my computer down.

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

quick, go tell AWS, Azure, GC, etc. etc. they're doing computers wrong

8. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  9. power

power Member

I think I did a fresh install when 7 came out. Maybe.

self_slaughter likes this.
  10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Of course if you're running multiple operating systems at once the main will suffer as it has less cpu cycles/ram etc to work with.

The point is when you're testing multiple shitty apps in a VM everything stays in that VM. Once you close it, your main OS is as if nothing had ever happened.
    No random libraries getting loaded that you don't actually use anymore, no crap in the registry it has to parse despite the software related to it being long gone etc...

If you're running VMs as your daily driver you would have a lean OS underneath it all like a stripped down linux, and wouldn't actually use that OS outside of loading the VMs.

But that's all way off track for this thread. lol

On a more positive note (still miles off track, but kinda related as I just bit the bullet and formatted my SSD), i just tried out Win10 LTSB as mentioned above. it's....beautiful. <3
    If that had of been Windows 10 it would of been a massive success. None of this random crap forced down your throat and still have complete control over your system.

Why I didn't try this earlier I have no idea.

11. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Never, monthly backups sent to cloud storage/storage drives then removed from PC if not needed keeps stuff clean.

12. philquad

philquad Member

ive done 3 this week, install, or format install
    mainly as os is stuffed & un-fixable
    i just love formatting, most jobs are freebies
    recently reading elsewhere a member spend 28 days trying to close his sata drive to a ssd without success
    he got shitty with me bcoz i mocked him, i suggested a clean install on 1st day,

13. power

power Member

what on your own PC?

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Never for me, anymore.

15. philquad

philquad Member

god no, doing jobs
    i dont like it that much, updates are a pain, but im sure 1803 is on the latest clean iso from ms

16. power

power Member

well that doesn't count!

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

With the amount of tweaks and settings and multimedia devices/systems I have flying around the house I dread the thought of a fresh install these days.

18. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Just recently (28th August) did a reinstall of my gaming box, after suddenly frying the OS install I know not how! Previous to that it'd not had a clean install for about 5 years or more.

Current household rig is off-the-shelf and dates to May this year. The machine it replaced had not had a fresh install since Windows 7 was RTM in mid-2009. Not even after a Win10 upgrade.

Wipe and reinstall is nowadays an unnecessary PITA.

19. Sinisstar

Sinisstar Member

Not long ago and only because Windows 10 broke and refused to boot....otherwise never.

20. Dwarfer66

Dwarfer66 Member

Surprisingly since I have had win 10, for the last few years I have NOT had to reinstall at all, with win 7 it is 2-3 times a year. But I still love win 7!