1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

How old are you. How long and how did you become an overclocker. etc.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by stablez, Oct 8, 2009.

1. AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar Member

Just realised how many fucking teenagers there are on here.. Or maybe that is just the general population regarding people who actually bother to read a thread by stablez. But anyway, onto my hypocrasy.

Work: Manager @ Toys R Us.
    Experience: Been dicking around with computers since age 5 or 6. At age 8 built my own PC. Heavily into the hardware side of things. Money is no limit anymore since my job promotion. :thumbup:

Can't be fucked going to uni so probably going to be a retail slut for the rest of my life, even though I'm probably more suited to go into IT / engineering.

OCing: vtec just kicked in, yo!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

I'm 17, joined OCAU just before my 14th birthday :)

I have been playing with computers since I was 5 and toyed with my parents old Commodore 64. Moved on to playing with computers off the street in the clean up's at 8years of age and learned all the basics of how computers get put together and how the BIOS worked etc.

At 10 I got my parents old Pentium MMX computer which was damn good when bought in 1995 :p And then was given an Athlon 1800+ XP computer when I was 12. That computer I worked on overclocking and got my first taste of increasing computer performance. Since then I have bought many many SKT939, AM2, 775 computers and overclocked most of them. Also overclocked most of my graphics cards.

Now I don't really overclock, I do it for benchmarks only. Rely more on stable computer environments and own a majority of macs :lol:

3. popolopolous

popolopolous (Banned or Deleted)

I'm 14, 15 as of the 18th of this month. Been playing with Nintendo stuff since I was 4, for me the computer was always a very serious thing that wasn't really for games but rather work and web browsing. It wasn't until 2006 or so, when I bought Hyper for a plane trip to read about Nintendo stuff and got an old issue of PC Powerplay with it, that I realised PCs could play games, that the games looked incredible, and that we desperately needed to upgrade our beige, CD-reader sporting brick from 1997... in 2007 we bought a Dell Dimension desktop, featuring a 3Ghz P4 (!), 7300LE and a 19" LCD, along with my first PC game, Command and Conquer Generals. Regardless, while it was amazing, I never really paid much attention to it... then I decided after playing one or two more games (yes I was poor) In early 2008 I got a job: mid 2008 I got my first PC, an old Acer mATX P4 dealie (running on integrated, but I put in an HD2400 Pro). I bought lots of PC games, and this PC is what I first experienced real 3D games like Portal, Crysis and Far Cry 2 on (all on fairly low settings however). An upgrade from one of Dad's mates to a 6800GT saw things run far more acceptably... then for Christmas 2008 I got an Antec 900 case. I sold the Acer, worked my ass off and got the rig I have now - thanks to the economy at the time costing me about $1500... $300 for the E8400, $250 on the 4850, $200 on the mobo, $100 on RAM (which was later changed to what I have now, thankyou OCAU :D), $250 on HDs, $180 for PSU, $300 for 22" monitor... a lot of my decisions influenced by what people posted on OCAU. Then I got practically rich from working, upgraded my monitor to 27", got some good sound going... and I'm where I am today. A check of my shelf and steam account reveals about 60 PC games. My PC is overclocked after I learned of the benefits on these forums. So thanks OCAU, and here's to a few years yet!

EDIT: Wall of text FTW.

4. Ambush

Ambush Member

I'm 34 and graduated from Uni as an industrial chemist, but I did pretty much enough subjects in computing to qualify for a dual degree - except that wasn't an option when I was at Uni. :(

After Uni - early '90s - I kept on going and started playing around with hardware and really started learning when I joined up here.

I should mention that my first PC was a P200 MMX with an S3 4MB video card, 16MB of memory and a 1Mb coaxial network card. Starcraft and Command and Conquer ran quite nicely in our 4-person LANs.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  5. Chop92per

Chop92per (Banned or Deleted)

i am 17 :D

I went to a private school and got into computers, when i bought my first desktop it only had a E2180 and my mate used to bitch on his computer was faster, we cant have that so i read up on Overclocking and have done it and loved it ever since(so a bunch of gaming nerds got me into it)

6. fang_laluna

fang_laluna Member

I'm 20 :)

Second year Uni now, Bachelor in IT. Had my first computer when I was in year 4, it was crappy PII. Got my proper computer around a year ago.

Started overclocking after I got into gaming. Firstly just for improving performance. Then it became hobby :upset:

Working as casual sales assistant at retail store. Crappy job :sick:
    Planning to apply for proper IT job next year.

7. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

I'm Matt, 22, Chef.

i'm a newbie on all this, for me computers were just a means to burn cds, dvds and word processing up until about '06 i finished high school and had money to burn, so i bought my own laptop, eventually i had the space in my room, and my friend was telling me how cheap a decent pc could cost me if i built it myself and so i bought an athlon x2 6000+ system (yes, i'm very new).
    learning and reading more about how it all worked, i realised that most parts of my computer needed to be upgraded if i wanted to do any gaming, and so i bought an E8400 (first stock in melbourne) and made an 8800GT my vga card. eventually, i've stumbled across ocau, xtreme systems though having read Custom PC magazine (my favourite) and basically ever since then, i've been buying computer parts almost every week.

here i am, 4 computer generations later, and a fully watercooled system.

8. snappy1

snappy1 Member

My name is Bevan, 39

Motor mech by trade originally, qual mortgage broker, currently bussiness manager.

I bought a Q6600, 8800gt gaming rig 20 months ago and found these forums.

I am addicted to overclocking, benching and hardware.

In 20 months I have owned or killed,

2 Q6600's, Q9550, 2 QX9650's and now i7 920

8800gt, 2 4870's 2 3870x2's and 2 4870x2"s

3 P35 boards,2 X38, 2 X48 and 1 X58

Too many ram sets, hard drives and water cooling components.

Yes I have a problem, and i enjoy it very much

9. g3monster

g3monster Member

Im 20.

First got into computers at around 2 :p sat on dads lap playing games.

By 5 I knew more complicated dos commands than my dad did.

Got the interwebz somewhere in between here...IE 3.0 FTW!!! :p

By 10 Id started playing with hardware (an old 486 DX-25 got it running at 50mhz)

Played with various old systems in this gap.

Turned 13 and bought myself an AMD Athlon XP Dunno wat now might have been a 1600+ and overclocked the shit out of it :p. Still actually have that machine around somewhere...might have to dig it out again.

By 15 we got 256/64k adsl and I thought it was the most amazing thing ever at the time :lol: Joined overclockers around this time :)

Modern day:no longer enthusiastic about anything IT just about given it all away now. Just got fed up with all the repetitive bullshit and the ever growing reliance the market has for M$ products.

Favorite websites

Overclockers Aus (I spend most of my time in the pub or motoring now)
    Youtube (you can never see too many jackasses doing stupid shit)
    Google
    Certain other websites that end it "tube":D:lol::Paranoid::leet::Pirate:
    The bay of pirates :lol:
    finalgear.com

and thats me done :)

10. toXin

toXin Member

I am 16 years old.

Learned how to build and take apart PC's at around 9 or 10, My Dad's friend's son taught me. When I was about 7 or 8 Dad had me installing software/drivers in windows 98 then later WinME. Started communicating online with other people at some point of age 10. Built my very first rig at 12 with my own money (birthday money ofc) It was a P4 (3ghz I think), 2GB DDR, 120GB IDE and a 6600TD 256mb PCI-E. Figured out how to overclock at some point after the P4 build.

Ever since I pretty much figured out how computers work I have been very interested in them and want to make a career out of networking. Currently studying a Networking Diploma.

11. hate-xfiles

hate-xfiles Member

42 and this is the very floppy disk drive i ever owned it's an 360KB 8" disk drive and it still works it was part of a zialog z80a 4.77MHZ CPU with a whole 64KB of memory, and a 10MB HDD i've still got it somewhere they were called microbee and the ones we made were called "the little bigboard". The Operating system back then was CPM...

If you want i can put a pic of a blank PCB for the computer that back then was great. The PCB might interest some oldier people. Because it became STD-BUS.

As for overclocking i got the 4.77 to 6MHZ, back then it was changing the crystal on the M/B.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  12. Z3LL

Z3LL (Banned or Deleted)

first got into pc's at the tender young age of 7 i believe, playing duke nukems and commander keen games on the old mans first big rig with 8mb of ram and a 17inch crt.... i believe that was a 8k computer back then in the early 90's

built my first one with the old man when i was 10, had alot of experiance with dos and early 3.11 windows.. had that pc for a few years till i built a amd system with the 1800+ tbred core,geforce 2 and a 40gig hdd. Pretty much say thats where the overclocking started for me, moving on too a 3200+ barton with unlocked multiplyers and low latency ddr400 ram on a nf7s. Built 2 amd systems on water cooling back in 2003 and 2004 back in the day when sourcing parts was custom made water blocks, and fish pond pumps from somewhere in europe, and joining in on a group buy so you could get that good non kink tubing from overseas, and you only ever used nulon coolant in your loop... on that note WTF happened to ehiem pumps?

kinda got out of the hole computer thing for a few years after i turned 19, started getting involved more in going out and working and going outside in general lol

recently rekindled my love for pc with s major upgrade too a am3 system which with every pay check gets upgraded even more too the point i'll end up going over too a high end intel system.

i used too be a pretty avid gamer attending lans, playing such games like MOH:AA, cod1, bf1942.. oh yeh and CS lol

sites i visit most
    overclockers au
    releaselog
    eztv
    myspace :tongue:
    guru3d
    ..and pretty much any hardware review site

13. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Always have liked tech, got into computers in High School, bought my first computer in year 10 (PIII 933, 256MB, TNT2), I O/Ced it and eventually built my own computer after it got to old, since then I have built countless systems and O/Ced them all, turned to Mac once OSX 10.4 came out.

I work in IT doing Graphics and Web Design.

I visit:
    OCAU
    YouTube
    Facebook
    Inquirer
    IGN
    MacRumers
    FordMods
    eBay

14. derf99z

derf99z Member

I think I am the oldest so far. 48 started on personal computers in 1978. Built first computer in 1979. A uk101 running 4K (not meg) of static ram at 1MHz. I managed a full 100% over clock to 2MHz. It did run a little hot at that, but this was before the days of heatsinks or any form forced cooling. http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=802

After uni worked for IBM and had free access to hardware so every oc i have ever had has been over clocked to some extent.

15. Liam.

Liam. Member

Friend told me about the website. I think I came here with an Athlon 64 3200+.

16. OP
    OP
    stablez

stablez Member

Datsun1600 are you online. He's pretty cool and really drives a 1600 Bluebird. He bought off me a pair of platinum dd2r2 he an old timer and gets right in to benching etc...:thumbup:

17. dascooby

dascooby Member

I'm 15 and I got into overclocking when I first bought an overclockable PC last week xD

I was reading about it in a magazine and I decided to give it a go. Now my E5300 is running faster than my dad's E6750.

18. HeXa

HeXa Member

ok.... who pwned stablez account and is posting with it? :Paranoid:

seriously... congrats on the post stablez... that is a huge improvement and pretty good thread topic :thumbup:

I'm in my early 30s and have been an overclocker for over 20 years (since my first XT).

19. OP
    OP
    stablez

stablez Member

Who built the E6750 cause in desktops at that time only E6300 were the cpu used.
    So its been built by your dad?

Its just like supercharging.
    Engine (CPU)
    Slap in the Pully's (ram)
    Then the Heatsink (Intercooler)

LOL its in your own ideal design of power...

20. oaks101

oaks101 Member

Im 16
    1st got into computers like last year when i built a computer from parts of hard rubbish, p3 800mhz....then went and bought my 1st computer in parts..p4 3.0ghz for 10 bucks of ebay....and now about 2 months ago i went and bought my 1st amd..computer in sig....i

1st oc my p4 to 3.2ghz but thought that was to extreme and risky....lol...now i have an unlocked cpu and oc'ed it to 3.4-3.6.

Fav sites. 4 winsows open up with chrome on startup..
    google
    Facebook
    Youtube
    Ocau

Others...torrentz.com,afl.com.au