How old is your current Intel PC platform?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Utetopia, May 26, 2017.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

My gawd man, how on earth do you do it!? :p

Hive likes this.
  2. Hive

Hive Member

Rust potato settings

3. power

power Member

Potato > X Box One X

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Had to google it.....interesting.

5. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Hardly needed.. A nehalem/Westmere at 4+Ghz is more than capable of running modern games at reasonable FPS. Certainly a bottlneck for lower res, but nothing dramatic.

6. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

That's it, and games aren't everything...

Just upgraded from a what, 9 year oldish AMD 955BE @ 3.2Ghz to an 8700K @ 4.7GHz using the same video card (for now) and while games are a lot nicer, basic usage isn't much different.

Heavy usages tasks sure... compiling software, demanding games etc. its miles ahead. But for general use the old systems + an ssd are still quite capable and more than adequate for a lot of users.

an x58 system at those clocks is still a damn fast machine no matter how you look at it.

7. toolsncorpses

toolsncorpses Member

I was gonna say, if I slap an SSD in this 1st Gen Intel i3 330M general use is going to be pretty satisfying. There is something about the late-gen chips that make opening windows and social media and installing/running basic software even more satisfying but not $1000+ spending worth of satisfying. This junky i3 laptop is worth what $100 now.

8. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i wonder how long this lappy of mine will last (july 2012)....tbh. i'm still hesitant to replace it while it is still working. i wouldnt even attempt to sell it; the risk of motherboard failure is increasing. :D
    the mech hdd is still showing as good in crystal disk info...so not too worried there.

i might start by cloning onto an SSD, but cbf at the moment. i have numerous newer mech HDD's for backup and storage.

have just bought some ddr4...and ddr5 is possibly coming into play in 2021...which is only 3 years away. i didnt expect to be running this 'puter until 2021 though.

i may delay build until april as was my original plan...or not. i dont have any savings buffer right now. too many expenses....or just get a NUC :D
    ----------
    had to do it sometime...see below

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  9. chip

chip Member

Slap an 35W TDP Arrandale i5/i7 in there while you're at it, for a nice clock speed bump. I fixed up my in-laws with a pile of i5-580M ex-corporate laptops (new SSDs) and they're doing admirably.

10. toolsncorpses

toolsncorpses Member

Oh say I didn't think you could update laptop CPUs, at least not buy laptop socket CPUs from say PCCG or major retailers or whatevers.

Where can I find a nice top-of-the-line first gen i7 chip to fit Socket 989 rPGA (according to CPUID)?

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i bought a 2600k rig second hand from ocau forums, added a 980 also from the forums, and its still pumping out the frames at 2560x1440.
    does what i need it to do in handbrake too.
    of the reviews i read, each generation after SB was reviewed as "5% performance increase at best". why would anyone bother upgrading ?
    i removed the watercooling and stuck my noctura 14D on and it now runs at 4.5GHz when required.
    i'll move to a ryzen2 system in a few months just to remove a possible failure point due to old caps in the mobo

12. chip

chip Member

Most of that generation were socketed, except the -UM low power versions. See if you can find a disassembly guide online for your laptop.

As for where to get one, I'd have a look at AliEpress, Ebay, or even good old OCAU. i7 anything tends to go for a big premium, an i7-620M seems to go for about 3 times as much as an i5-540M (the latter of which can be had on AliExpress for ~US$13) I might have a 520M in my spare parts box, will have a look when I get home on Tuesday.

At work I swapped an i7-3770 for an i7-8700, and it's been a pretty big change for sysadmin type work. The 1TB NVMe SSD probably helped a bit too.

13. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I am using 2 xeons e5 2670's, so 7 years old now.... Still kicks the shit out of anything new, especially in the price range...

Hive likes this.
  14. toolsncorpses

toolsncorpses Member

So I grabbed a $150 laptop with a Pentium B960 in it, 14 inch IPS screen, 4GB DDR3 and 500GB HDD, in immaculate condition. I was going to do it for $100 but seeing the condition I went up to their asking of $150.

This is Socket G2 / rPGA988.

Do you have anything spare for that socket my friend? Happy to swing you a delicious price if you do.

15. James086

James086 Member

Each year I consider upgrading the 2600K but the performance jump isn't worth it, especially when I think about how much I actually use it. The R7 1800X and i7 8700K made me pay attention but with RAM and GPU prices as they are, I'm happy to just live with the 2600K and GTX970 in the meantime (my next upgrade will be new everything). I wonder what Zen 2 and Cannonlake will have in store and whether prices will have calmed down by late this year.

16. Shreaver

Shreaver Member

November 2017. My 3570k rig bit the bullet and unfortunately I needed a PC urgently for work so I bought a 7700k because the 8xxx series was out of stock.

I mean this could probably fall in the first world problems thread too I guess.

17. dualmassager

dualmassager Member

June 2010. Only upgrades since then were GPU (went from single 5870 to twin 5870 to current 280X), extra 12GB RAM and SSD. Used to run my 930 at 4.2 GHz, but now running at 3.8 GHz.

18. hvalac

hvalac Member

Still running my old 2600k from 2 months after release, was initially clocked at 4.7ghz for the 1st few years, these days it's at a low 4.6ghz :lol:
    Over the years I've upgraded minimal parts, I've gone to a 64gb patriot ssd to a crucial m4 128gb ssd which I think is around 4 years old, I only upgraded to 16gb memory when I got into player unknown due to what appeared to be memory related crashing and I've upgraded my video cards roughly every 1-2 generations depending on how money was faring.

Tbh the 2600k is still perfectly fine for gaming and most workloads I do (I don't do anything) and as of yet I just can't justify doing a massive upgrade for minimal performance though I would love a m.2 port.
    I was thinking that baby lake? 8700k was the go but I'm not overly impressed with the heat is puts out so I'm in the waiting game until Ice Lake comes out which hopefully pci-e 4..... and full native usb/ sata3:Paranoid:

19. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

It's pretty crazy how much of a small step forward each generation is, especially when we jump from ddr3 to ddr4, requiring a new motherboard and memory along the way. Just not worth the currency expenditure :/

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Although I update sort of frequently I guess, I've been tending towards longer updates, perhaps skipping a gen, simply for the fact that they seem such minor upgrades really.