How old is your current Intel PC platform?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Utetopia, May 26, 2017.

1. Linkin

Linkin Member

3570k at 4.4ghz and a 980ti handles anything I throw at it (1080p)

2. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

As per sig. I've only had to replace the motherboard and upgraded from 8gb to 16gb. Does 99% of the stuff I want at resolutions/quality I can live with.

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Quite happy with my 5820k and 980ti. Looking to upgrade the 980ti to a 1080ti when Vega drops so I can get a better price.

Wondweing when I should upgrade my 3440x1440 LG 60Hz panel to a higher refresh rate panel.

4. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

...going on 4 years... :) looking at a new lappy within the next 6 months dont think im gunna be able to hold out for 10nm :(...but time will tell

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  5. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Pretty damn old now in tech years (see signature), but aside from Ryzen nothing else has really interested me since the 2nd generation of Intel Core ix chips - and I consider myself a hardware enthusiast! Over the years I've upgraded to a nicer case, a faster graphics card, several new SSD's, a beastly PSU (which I aim to keep for at least half a decade), new monitor and peripherals etc etc.

Honestly the i7-2600S on a feature packed Z68 board just wound up being the perfect platform from the get go:

-It's still got reasonably high single threaded performance compared to current generation chips, with 4 cores and 8 threads giving strong multi threaded performance in everything I use. PassMark's database has the single threaded score at just shy of 1800 on average, while the "gaming beast" i7-7700K is only hitting a little under 2600. I'd wager a fair chunk of that extra single threaded performance comes solely from the higher clock speeds of the 7700K.
    Despite Intel claiming a turbo of 3.8GHz across the 2600 SKU's, my board can somehow force it to run at 4.2GHz in single threaded stuff or 4GHz in multi threaded, so my PassMark score may well be even better than average.

-The days of overclocking being something you do to get crazy good performance out of a budget chip are mostly gone, and are now only a thing for people squeezing maximum performance out of buying higher end gear with suitable cooling from the start. I'll still take my free turbo performance boost with one setting in the BIOS of course :p But there is no awesome value current generation chip I can grab that will give me noticeably better performance when overclocked than my current chip.

-The board has got modern connections like USB 3/SATA 3, and PCIe gen 3 (if I swap to a 3rd gen CPU). I'll admit it is less of those faster connections than I would like in a future build, but right now I still don't use more than a couple of each at a time. I am yet to own any USB-C devices and have nothing that can saturate a USB 3.1 gen 2 port. I'd also argue that even a card like the GTX 1080Ti or Titan XP would have trouble saturating a PCIe x16 gen 3 link in all regular gaming tasks, so the gen 2 link is still fine for when I want to upgrade the GPU.

-I upgraded from 8GB RAM to 16GB for dirt cheap right when DDR3 reached an all time low price (before it shot back up again). The 8GB didn't cost me heaps to start with, and when the time came going to 16GB was even cheaper. If I built a brand new high end rig, 16GB would still be all I'd need.

-The power efficiency may not be as good as brand new gear, but even 7th generation Intel chips are not *that* much better. This is even more relevant when you consider I have an "S" model 2600 which has a TDP of 65W rather than the regular 95W of these chips. I run it in under a passive CPU heatsink with semi-fanless case cooling. My case fans only turn on when the CPU temperature reaches over 55c, which despite the high turbo clocks only happens when it's under a moderate load for more than 30 seconds or so. Even then the lone pair of Noctua case fans will top out at a maximum of 800rpm, and I've never seen the chip reach higher than the high 60's. Regular internet browsing and office work has it running passively. Maybe I got a thermal gem, maybe I built a damn good rig from the start, or maybe it's because I live in Tasmania :lol:

-The 2600 has all the hardware assisted virtualisation features and instruction sets I've so far needed for anything I run.

Honestly, what more do I need?? Well a 6 or 8 core Ryzen chip on a board with a bunch more USB 3 ports, a super fast M.2 NVMe SSD, and a better onboard sound card would be all I can think of, but right now that is more a nice to have than need to have, and for gaming upgrading to a GTX 1070 or better will see a way bigger difference for a similar price to a new platform. To top it off I can't get a suitable mATX AM4 board with better onboard sound than my current board because such a product does not yet exist. Until I've already got myself a new GPU and actually start to need more high bandwidth ports or newer features (or I run into a large sum of disposable income), I'm sticking with it :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  6. hawks667

hawks667 Member

Another oldie here & still my day to day PC..
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.6, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM, ASRock Z77 Extreme6, numerous SSD's & mechanical HDD's & a Sound Blaster Z for the noisy stuff.

I still game @ 1080p & 75hz & its runs everything i throw at it fine. I would think i will look at a complete upgrade when i move to a higher res display...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  7. ecroF

ecroF Member

Litterally just ordered some kaby lake goodies to replace the 2500k in my gaming rig. Really just wanting the lower tdp and to have a play with ddr4 memory and to have m.2.

Mini-itx couch pc has an i3-4160/8gb/7870 and is still pretty good. Might upgrade the videocard to a 1060 as they run much cooler in the tiny case.

8. Recharge

Recharge Member

1366 I7 960 on a sabertooth X58 motherboard, so, about seven years old.
    keep going baby! currently playing Andromeda perfectly fine. :thumbup::leet:

9. Blaktop

Blaktop Member

Here's one that Noah powered the Ark with. Q9550/P5Q Pro/4Gb DDR2/HD6950.....built it about 7-8 years ago and back then it was pretty good. I haven't been gaming much for about 4 years so it still does the general duties pretty well. Upgraded the graphics once or twice and put an SSD in the system drive.....starting to get long in the tooth now though.

I'm about to get more time available so some more gaming time.....checking the required specs for current games.....I'm not even close to minimum for most....:)

10. mtma

mtma Member

The main computer I use at home is an X220 and it's somewhere around 6 years old now, seems to have gone very well for a laptop.

I did upgrade my gaming rig three years ago, also Intel.

11. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

X79 platform is what im currently using -- I tried teh ryzen thing and it was not very good compared to teh 6 year old playfrom it replaced --

im currently using a i7-3820 @ 4.5ghz currently in a faulty board where only half the ram slots work so im down to 2 channels with 16GB

and had 2 x 290x's in crossfire up until recently where I replaced them with 2 x 1080ti's -- still no need to upgrade the CPU yet. it is still pleanty fast in games as it is

i was using a i7-3930k @ just under 4.7ghz before the board I had it in died cant be bothered pulling the other system apart to put this CPU in it as im trying to get the board repaired by Asus if I do Ill go back to using this with the above 2 x 1080ti's and 32gb of RAM

I have modified the bios in the asus board so I can boot off a M.2 SSD in an adapter so it has everything I need / care about.

12. mooboyj

mooboyj Member

An i7 820? I bought from these forums a few years back for SFA:thumbup: I upgraded it from 8GB to 16GB of RAM, and it has gone from a GTX480 - GTX580-AMD7800 (I think). It plays BF1 without issue as both monitors are 1680x1050, so it is hardly pushed. It even runs a 10K Raptor disk :D

My laptop is a Catch of the Day special XPS14 from 2009 or 2010 I think. It has a first gen i5, GT420M and went from 6GB to 8GB of RAM and has had a replacement hard drive. It played BF3 like a champ but struggled a fair bit with BF4. I think an SSD would have helped it a bit, but my big dollar desktop purchase sorted that:lol: It is now or mobile/travel entertainment machine as it is loaded with movies and stuff for my 4yo to watch. Battery life is maybe 5 minutes, but it is still trooping along (the GPU also overclocks a lot).

13. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

5 years

Running a Sabertooth Z77 + Intel Core i7 3770K

Like many others have upgraded memory - now at 32GB - and changed storage (lots of SSD) and upgraded graphics card twice too.

Generally okay with performance. Longest I have run the same motherboard and CPU.

14. budzilla

budzilla Member

Had the same system since early 2013. Changed 1 hard drive. It's nice but I think my next system will be an AMD one. But I can see myself using this for another year at least.

I did buy this system at a very good time when the components were cheap.

15. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

2nd gen xeon 2670 x2 :)

going happy.

16. link1896

link1896 Member

Using Xeon x5670, e3-1230 and x5570.

Still working for me.

17. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

I7 920
    Just looked up the receipt 1/08/2009

went from 6gb to 12gb early on and dropped in a new SSD a few times but thats about it.

Upgraded from a Radeon HD4890 to a 1070 last month and now everything I want to use it for is fine!

18. deluxe

deluxe Member

Still rocking a 2600k @ 4.5 24/7 - 32gb ram, 780ti..
    Had a mb die on me but otherwise steady.

Considering a move to m.2/pcie card

19. AntikytheraBB

AntikytheraBB Member

Daily I use 3930k, G3258 and i7 720QM
    But I also have E8500 and X5470 in working machines that are used occasionally.

20. Satriani

Satriani Member

Hmm

I reckon its about 4 years old? not sure actually

i5 4460
    Some old gigabyte board

has had a few GPU upgrades like everyone else, 4870, 4890, 5870, now gtx970.

Put in 16gb of nice ram (at the time, cant remember what it even is) and a samsung 840evo 512gb SSD

Still runs nearly anything, needs a reformat now though, and possibly a bigger SSD.

Once coffee lake comes out might upgrade