How to block https://www.facebook.com ?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by syzygy9, May 9, 2011.

1. FarZK

FarZK Member

Yeah seriously, 15 year old not allowed on facebook?
    Me being on facebook was the least of my folk's worries as soon as I hit year 11.

2. vltrb-0

vltrb-0 Member

controlling your kids lol get a pet instead

3. OP
    OP
    syzygy9

syzygy9 Member

Basically I have been using a time based URL filtering schedule on my Billion 7404 router and it worked well . . . until MZ decided to add https access (not just login) to FB in Jan 2011.

Whilst I appreciate the parenting advice from all, I am in turn accused of of being a FB nazi to way too lenient - hard to win on that front. One thing I have learnt as a parent is that, even with the best will in the world, teenage kids cannot self regulate! So the FB window gets hidden behind the "homework" window and that becomes a distraction that they don't need.

As any parent will tell you (and I'm pretty sure that most of you don't have teenage kids, or possble no kids at all; I have 3!) that managing teenage kids can be a battle at times so the simplest route for most parents is to have a clearly understood set of rules that they all understand, and stick with it. Hence (in this case) the automated, time scheduled, URL filtering. And yes, when the going gets tough the modem gets turned off.

But like all kids, mine will try and wiggle around it - I was really impressed with my 15yo daughter who managed to guess my router password and hack into it and change the filter settings at will until I finally cottoned on to it! - sometimes it's hard to be mad when impressed with their ingenuity! Anyway, a technical, automated solution is best

I am very computer literate, and could implement most of the various suggestions, but am looking for the simplest, switchable, option at the moment.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  4. Smashwa

Smashwa Member

*ir0nhide uses logic. Its not very effective*

5. OP
    OP
    syzygy9

syzygy9 Member

Restricting access, not "not allowed" . . . and one of my kids is in Y11.

6. OPM881

OPM881 Member

Set router password to password
    Impressed when daughter is able to get into router.

Honestly, I(and many others who have posted here) were teenagers a lot more recent than you were, and we understand how they think. This will not go down well, you should at least listen instead of disregard what everyone is saying.

There is no way of blocking that your kids wont get around.

7. FiShy

FiShy Member

yea there is, a mates who has kids does some funny stuff with cron, iptables and dpi.

8. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Well my suggestion may have seemd like over kill but really, its the highly effective solution you can choose.
    you dont need a great machine either, just a low power box with two Ethernet nics. (a typical, reliable low power footprint 24-7 low end machine)

It not only lets you monitor, or filter but also automatically protects everyone behind it from malicious websites or unwanted site content.

9. OP
    OP
    syzygy9

syzygy9 Member

. . . and to think that one day you will grow up and have kids - god help us all :confused:

10. kindred

kindred Member

Couldn't you just hit her over 9000 times?

11. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

1. EASY - Hostsfile as mentioned here already.
    2. BETTER - Norton Internet Security with the parental filter and changed Administrator passwords. Pretty hard to get through specially if you block proxies.
    3. THE HOLY GRAIL - Cheap PC + Endian/Untangle Content Filtering distro. Put it between your modem and the switch and good luck her getting on Facebook until she moves out! They filter very, very well :)

12. biatch

biatch Member

If you want to be able to switch it on/off and want to block https as well, it would probably be better to do it via a net nanny application of some sort.
    Setting dns/routing/host file stuff would be a nuisance. They're not designed to be regularly modified.
    Find an application suitable for your needs.

13. ply-boi

ply-boi Member

i dont see how blocking them at home is going to stop them access them facebook if they all ready have accounts there just going to use it elsewhere
    like friends and school librarys , other free wifis

14. gobbledegook

gobbledegook Member

Just be aware that she may figure out how to reset your modem/router (physically, as in with a paperclip). And then reconfigure it using the default username and password.

Any way of adding https://*.facebook.com as an untrusted website in her browser?

15. OP
    OP
    syzygy9

syzygy9 Member

Aaah, thanks for all the parenting advice, very gratefully received! :p

I will say to all you teenagers offering child rearing advice that when the time comes and you have teenagers of your own, everyone of you - without exception - will be singing a different tune. Good luck because it aint easy! Fortunately I have a really good relationship with all of my kids (and they have even survived internet filtering relatively unscathed!) :D

As an aside, my (than 9 yo) daughter inadvertantly, while doing a very innocent search for puppies on Google, stumbled across a video of 2 teenage kids strangling a puppy to death - dead. That was with a parental control, with blacklists and heuristic filtering, on. It left her pretty shook up and took her a week to tell me about it thinking that somehow it was her fault (the site and domain have since been taken down). So amongst all of the gold out there, there is also a lot of really demented sh!t.

So back on topic - I really like the idea of OpenDNS but a quick look at it seemed to suggest that it wouldn't work with https; I'll revisit it.

Thanks for the advice, I think there is enough here for me to work with.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  16. OP
    OP
    syzygy9

syzygy9 Member

I like this, good idea, I'll give it a shot; the older 2 will eventually figure it out, but it should keep them occupied for awhile! (good learning exercise!)

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  17. OP
    OP
    syzygy9

syzygy9 Member

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. I like this as it is on the modem/router side and easier for me to maintain.

18. gobbledegook

gobbledegook Member

That's the plus side. All their tinkering is actually teaching them troubleshooting skills!

19. vltrb-0

vltrb-0 Member

haha come on man sense of humor goes along way

but seriously do you want your kids to always try and sneak a way around their old man? they'll do what they want regardless

20. OP
    OP
    syzygy9

syzygy9 Member

thanks mitch, I have a parental filter with my AV (Kaspersky) that is pretty comprehensive (at the moment I just use this to filter out some of the crap and for AV duties) - I will have a closer look at the blacklist option in this AV and see what I can do. One of the issues is that I am not trying to block access completely but temporarily, mainly during times when they should be doing their homework, so the ability to either time schedule (which Kaspersky and all of the 'netnanny' style filters don't do) or easily manually switch on and off.

Last edited: May 11, 2011