How to block https://www.facebook.com ?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by syzygy9, May 9, 2011.

1. zerassar

zerassar Member

Yeh my teacher is full of shit.
    Correcting myself I should have said there is "NO way with the equipment he has on hand".

Also, please correct me if I am wrong, the ACL will not work permanently as FB is constantly changing IP's and the GET request is encrypted.

2. aokman

aokman Member

yeah facebook is a POS, clients often want it removed because of all the crap it brings to their networks.

ClearOS is a great option for a tiny firewall/content filter box, easily kills facebook. Either via domain blocking / keywords filter or under social networking groups.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. The Brad

The Brad Member

K9 is quite good, I have a 10yo with very devious friend who likes to talk my kid into doing things she's not supposed to, after trying out some filtering with the Draytek I installed K9 on both my kids computers and it works well. Not sure how easy it would be to get around if you really knew your stuff but its worth a try, and you can see from the log what they have tried to access.

4. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Just checked out the new Norton NIS 2011 Online Safety (Parental Filter) thing tonight and guess what?

It blocks HTTP and HTTPS access to facebook with little configuration.

Well worth checking out :)

Not only that but you can specify how long the filter in in effect for (E.G a set time limit).

5. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

if it was me, id just find an old p3 box laying around or something low powered, install pfsense or similar on it, enable squid and block it that way. Ive done it with youtube here when i only had 500mb left on the quota for the internet lol.

Ten you get a bunch of other cool tools to use on your network.

6. K O J A K

K O J A K Member

Simple

1) Complain to the OFLC that it should be added to the Refused Classification list.
    2) Wait 2 years
    3) ?????
    4) Profit

Seriously though, I don't know why people are attacking the OP for wanting to limit (not disallow) access to FB. Atleast he's providing some sort of supervision.