HOW TO CHECK IMEI ON LAPTOP?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by goodguy82, Feb 19, 2009.

1. goodguy82

goodguy82 Member

Need you expert help. Is there a way to check your sn or imei on your laptop via windows?

2. bennyg

bennyg Member

type *#06# and press enter :D

Seriously, I thought IMEI was only for phones. NB your 3G/broadband/wireless modem probably is technically a mobile phone. I'll try next time I have mine plugged in - try either the software you use to connect, or windoze device mangler.

Serial number probably depends on the brand. My Dells have it written on the bottom along with the service tag - much quicker than opening anything on the computer

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  3. rhysxanthis

rhysxanthis Member

Urr, i'm pretty sure IMEI numbers are just for phones as well.

Unless your laptop has 3G built in?

4. OP
    OP
    goodguy82

goodguy82 Member

we sell those dell mini inspiron 9" notebook with 5gb data at work but i cant find the sn or imei number.

5. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Do the laptops have an inbuild mobile broadband utility or are they sold with a modem or whatever? If the latter, then the laptops you're selling don't have IMEI numbers.

If your business sells these sorts of things, you should know where to look for certain details before actually selling them...

6. shtonkalot

shtonkalot Member

I believe the OP may be working for Vodafone as they are the only reseller I know of in Australia selling the Dell Mini 9 with "Mobile Broadband".

I assume these come with the same connection software as the USB 3G modems from Vodafone so you may want to find out if the IMEI is readable through that software.
    Failing that the adapter may have the IMEI printed on it but you may have to remove the back cover to find out.
    I suppose it could also be on a sticker on the netbook itself, on the underside. Have you had a look?

If you are working for Vodafone then I would like to think they provide the IMEI numbers with the machines if you are required to know it. Also if you need to retrieve the IMEI from the machine then there should be someone available to you with the knowledge on how to do it.

If you don't work for Vodafone can you let us know if this is a Vodafone Mini 9 or some other providers connection?
    Also you may like to try and ask at a Vodafone store for assistance on retrieving the IMEI.

7. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Contact Dell instead perhaps? Their hardware.

8. josh81

josh81 Member

Yea what laptop do you have OP?
    Did you buy a laptop with the 3G WWAN card already built in, or did you buy the WWAN card/module seperately and install it?

9. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

10. josh81

josh81 Member

Yeah that's it SupremeMoFo, the IMEI and other info is found in the card's utility software.
    If you don't have a Dell mini 9, or you've bought a seperate HSDPA card, then it would probably be in Device Properties for the HSDPA card, in Hardware Manager.