how to clone internal nvme drive to larger capacity drive?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by sanjeevlives, Oct 26, 2018.

1. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

Gents so im tempted to get these 500gb nvme on sale now but i need to clone my internal one first then swap them around as i cant be arsed opening the case up until its ready to swap

so looked up nvme usb enclosures on ebay but they tend to have this warning

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Externa...b49ea170d:m:miCSoGM17QJSjuWVVe3o8FQ:rk:3:pf:0

so how do i clone the internal to external before swapping it around? anyone done it before?

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Easus free cloning software should do the job. Create a separate partition onto any existing internal drive and use the sector by sector option to clone to it, remove the old drive and install the new, then boot to that partition and clone it back onto the new drive, again using the sector by sector option. I think..??

Are you cloning from a smaller NVME drive or a standard SSD?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Slug69 and sanjeevlives like this.
  3. Phool

Phool Member

Clonezilla live CD/DVD/USB and external USB drive to write image to. Served me well in past. Not tried it with nvme drives but last week stuck an nvme drive on a pcie card in a Linux server and Linux recognised it no probs.

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

I just used Veeam Windows Agent when i did it last.

Backup the drive from NVME to internal SSD. Restore to the new Drive (woo 800MB/sec restores <3 compression). Extend the drive and Veeam recovery media will even import the NVME driver for you if you went from AHCI to NVME. Done.

sanjeevlives likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

im cloning from a 250gb nvme to a 500gb nvme

ok this sounds like a proven solution si ill have to check out veeam as this would bypass the need for an external nvme usb enclosure if i can clone to a spare hard drive partition and also get around the ahci stuff