How to connect Foxtel Digital to new LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by spawn154, Oct 2, 2006.

1. spawn154

spawn154 Member

Hello,

We are just about to purchase a 40" LCD.

I am just checking the best way to connect Foxtel Digital to the TV.

Currently we use 3 x RCA's (Red White and Yellow). What type of connection is this? And does it only output stereo sound?

I am looking into the SCART to 5 RCA (RGB + 2 audio I am assuming) as a solution to the new setup, as I believe the current connection we are using (Red White Yellow) is the worst for picture quality?

But what connection from the Foxtel Digital box would give the best image + sound to an LCD TV?

I am also confused between RGB, Composite and whatever the Red White Yellow connections are called, and what order in performance they rank.

Thanks Guys! :thumbup:

2. HellsAngel

HellsAngel Member

Use Scart to Component. Best for Foxtel.

3. aussie7

aussie7 Member

4. HellsAngel

HellsAngel Member

Yeah

The one we use for main TV we paid $80 from JB

The one I use for my Dell 2407 in my room I got from Ebay for $24 delivered.

5. aussie7

aussie7 Member

Thanks, I just pulled that link for google for illustration purposes :)

6. beeker

beeker Member

I am using a SCART to component for my connection. I don't use the speakers from the TV though. I've plugged it via optical to my receiver. It's a pity I don't get real 5.1 from Foxtel :(

Foxtel actually makes Scart to component cables. I foolishly got some and then realised that they have composites from the same connector.

Replaced those when I could. Anybody want the Foxtel branded cables, I'm more than happy to give it away :D

7. timc

timc Member

Foxtel will look crap on your LCD unfortunatley. Doesnt do the TV any justice anyway its connected.

8. oz-boofhead

oz-boofhead Member

9. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

Sorry mate Im going to have to agree with timc, foxtel looks like rubbish on my LCD tv using component. Some stuff looks good (cricket on 9, movies) but most of the stuff is just shit.

10. Yianni69

Yianni69 Member

Slightly off topic, but anyone connected their PC with ReelTime to TV, and what sort of results do you get?

Im on a MAC, running Parrallels (so watch it on my Mac Monitor) which is ok - but I cant find a connector for the Mac to connect to the TV in any case (Mac has this square video output) - S- Video seems to have disappeared on these new Intel Mac's........

11. darken_rahl

darken_rahl Member

what lcd? a mate's parent's 32" acer even looks surprisingly awesome with foxtel.

12. OP
    OP
    spawn154

spawn154 Member

Do you think there is any quality difference between the linked Jaycar Component cables and say $150 component cables?

I saw some today at a Lifesytles store and they wanted $160 for a set of component cables.

I think not...... but :confused:

Cheers :thumbup:

13. timc

timc Member

Foxtel is a low quality image through any medium. (cable or satellite). It is a 'nature of the beast' issue due to the conversion of most of these channels from NTSC to PAL. (Soccer for example from Europe is PAL NATIVE then it gets sent to the states which is NTSC so it has to be CONVERTED to NTSC this is then sent out on the world feed which foxtel receives and CONVERTS IT TO PAL.)

You must have very forgiving eyes if you think the PQ is awesome. Watchable yes for sure but awesome is not the word to use. I am a Foxtel lover by the way but for a pay service the quality should be atleast onpar with FTA. This is the general consensus.

If you are after anymore info on this issue the Aussie DTV forums are full of info www.dtvforum.info

Cheers

Tim

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006