1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Do "Lossless" VHS-to-Digital Rips?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by layzee, Jan 1, 2020.

1. layzee

layzee Member

I'd like to convert some of my VHS cassette tapes (retro gaming and Yngwie Malmsteen related) to a digital format (.mkv etc) but from reading a few guides, it seems a bit complicated. But let's start at the beginning I guess.

To reduce potential future issues and maximise audio and video quality (e.g. S-Video port compatibility is a must), I don't mind paying some money for a good JVC or Panasonic VHS player/recorder but which model? JVC and Panasonic seem to be the most recommended brands for this type of thing.

Alternatively, are there any places in the Melb CBD that offer this service and do a decent professional job of it? If so, how much?

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

General features you're looking for from a top quality VHS player for capture are:

* 4 head (sometimes marketed as "6 head" if they include stereo processing)
    * Japanese name brand. Sony, JVC, Sanyo would be my top picks from that era
    * S-Video out (sometimes called SVHS, SuperVHS or Super Video in marketing). SCART connectors are a bit tricky, as often they're just sending composite over SCART (not RGB).
    * Multi-format playback (PAL and NTSC).

If you're chasing reviews, use Google's advanced search to look up older reviews. Sites and forums focusing on home theatre are your best bet, as those users will be particularly critical around video quality.

3. alexc

alexc Member

I ripped a bunch of tapes a while back to my Mac.

I still had a VHS player in the cupboard, so just used that hooked up to a USB to S-Video adaptor. On my Mac I used the QuickTime player to record the USB input device. Very simple.

There are professional places that will do it for you. I just wanted to archive, and was less interested in overall quality. But generally the quality of VHS is appalling by todays standards and the resolution is tiny!