How to find out my mouse DPI

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Pr3dator8, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

Hey guys,
    I have a logitech G9x mouse. I was wondering if there was a program or something i could run to see what the DPI settings are.

I know the logitech software displays this BUT i dont have the software installed. Because i got so used to the DPI setting of the mouse before i installed the software that after i install the software it changes it and i can never seem to get it right.

For the record, the mouse without software install still allows u to change DPI on the fly but i have no idea what the settings are.

In short. I want to know exactly what DPI i am running so that i can set it up to be identical after installing the logitech drivers.

2. Linkin

Linkin Member

The DPI steps should be the exact same by default with the software as they are without.

What's probably happening is that the logitech software is either turning acceleration on or off based on your windows mouse settings, which changes the sensitivity without adjusting the DPI.

3. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

hmmm that would make sense. how do i check this?

4. dangerdom

dangerdom (Banned or Deleted)

control panel > mouse > pointer options.

If you have been using mouse acceleration and that is what you have grown accustomed to I can't stress enough that you should turn it off. you'll take some time adjusting but the pros are worth it.

mouse accel off and 900 dpi is what I and most fps or gamers in general use, even if you don't game it will give you an accurate pointer.

5. Linkin

Linkin Member

Yep this I use 1000dpi

6. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I don't see anything to do with mouse acceleration in pointer options...
    What am I doing wrong? :confused:

7. Linkin

Linkin Member

It will be labelled as "Enhance Pointer Precision"

8. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

hmmm would a game (say bf3) overlook those settings and use its own mouse settings? just turned it off...it seems slower now. Is it the "Select pointer speed" that adjust the dpi? if so mine doesnt have any values on it :S.

9. OP
    OP
    Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

im not doubting you or anything but what exactly are the pro's of this?

10. Linkin

Linkin Member

turning off acceleration means that your movement speed is static, rather than scaling with how fast you move the mouse.

11. dangerdom

dangerdom (Banned or Deleted)

Windows settings will overide any settings set in game.

It will seem slower as it's not getting the speed increase of the pointer when you move the mouse swiftly. If it's too slow to adjust too, you can always increase the sensitivity in the options or just ingame.

Mouse acceleration is unpredictable, you may be familiar with it but you'll never have pinpoint accuracy every time. It changes the "sensitivity" on the fly depending how quickly you moved the mouse.

it's better to have consistency, the idea of muscle memory suggests that having the cursor move according to the distance rather than the speed that the mouse moved would be benificial.

I was an avid fps fan for years, reaching a high level of competitive play and used mouse accell, had a good friend of mine that was to put it bluntly alot better at the game than I was (had traveled overseas and was paid for gaming) explain the pros of turning it off and when I made the switch after a week or two of adjusting my skill level increased dramatically.

^ :thumbup:

12. pittster

pittster Member

Yeah i have had mouse accel off and a mx518 (just got G400 for christmas) running at 800dpi have had it like that for 4 years my muscle memory is used to how far i need to move and where to point, a linear rate of movement is the key.