How to get internet access in shed (50m)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by leathal, Nov 23, 2021.

1. leathal

leathal Member

Hi guys,

The shed at my new place is approximately 50m from the house. What options have i got to get wifi coverage inside the shed.

I dont think Google nest wifi would be strong enough, is there a better option that doesnt involve ridiculous amounts of money ideally access points to cover inside the home aswell?

NBN wireless due to living rural. Power is in the shed. Router location will be at the front of the house, the shed is at rear of house (aprox 70m from router).

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  2. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

3. fnp

fnp Member

I agree a wired connection would be best. If you purchase a trenching shovel and use a string line to aim a straight trench it won't even be that annoying to dig really. Could rent a trenching machine I guess but personally I think that would be overkill for 50m.

4. OP
    OP
    leathal

leathal Member

NanoStation 5AC wouldnt be sufficient?

5. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

EoP worth a shot??

If you wouldn ike a wired solution and the ground is easily dug or trenched a premade fibre with media converters either end.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  7. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

If you can set it up for roughly line-of-sight I think this is probably your best bet. Pretty much the job they're designed for.

What I've never been able to find information on is how well they handle a couple of walls in the way...

8. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

this some code that leads me to the Holy Grail?

9. Clickeral

Clickeral Member

Even a Cat6e (from memory can do 100m runs with Cat6e at up-to 1000mb/s) cable in a plastic pipe in a trench would be able to hit any speed that you can currently get in Australia, how was the power run to the shed? you could look at pulling the cable down the same conduit if its big enough.

Whats your budget, I can think of a few other options depending on what your willing to spend.

Also whats your current home network setup/equipment and equipment location? ie would it be a pain to run a cat6e ethernet cable from it etc

10. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I'm pretty sure that's against code... certainly I'd get the opinion of an electrician who's a licensed cabler before doing it.

Probably legit with a fibre run, though.

Elmf and Pugs like this.
  11. Pugs

Pugs Member

No such cabling standard as Cat6e...

And as pointed out power and data cannot be in the same Conduit.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  12. cvidler

cvidler Member

this is the way to do it.

not as expensive as you may think. some internal/external armoured multi-mode OM3/OM4 fibre that long will be <$300, some media converters and SFPs (~$400), it'll be future proof, upgradeable to 10Gig if you ever need to. Use 32mm conduit gives plenty of room to pull the fibre through gently. Get pre-made fibre, with LC connectors and pull cords.

I've done similar, but my shed is only a 40m fibre run away, and I ran a 8-core fibre, so I can run 4 connections through it.

13. sebthepleb

sebthepleb New Member

outdoor ethernet cables buried in the ground (maybe in tubes to further protect them)

14. bcann

bcann Member

Fibre is better so you don't get lightning strike issues and fry all your gear. but for ease of use a point to point wireless setup will do the trick. ubqituiti do a tonne of them.

caspian and colmaz like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    leathal

leathal Member

I have just purchased Google nest wifi, but yet to install it as I move into the property in a few weeks, looking to set up a few nest cameras in the future.

Id prefer not to trench, internet speed doesnt need to be fantastic in the shed.

How would I setup Nanostation to the Google Nest Wifi? Do I need two? One monted to the house wall/roof (hardwired?) and one mounted in the shed?

Another very wild thought, my max optainable will only be around 50 Mbit/s. I have a mate around 2.5kms away with FTTP in a new estate, anyway I could plug into his internet for better obtainible speeds? Relativley good line of site from the roof.

16. Current

Current Member

Power over ethernet :p

hehe sorry had to haha

Elmf likes this.
  17. Pugs

Pugs Member

Ok...:confused::confused:

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think he thought you were saying power and data can't coexist over the same wire, but you were simply talking about them being inside conduit together.

Pugs likes this.
  19. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Would directional antennas work over that distance for ordinary hardware. ie. old APs and routers. re-purpose a couple of old routers and set one up in bridge mode? Buy some cheap directional antennas from ebay or build one out of a milo can.

That's my extreme budget option.
    If you own the property, go wired.

Pugs likes this.
  20. Falkor

Falkor Member

Whilst I would definitely preference running a cable, if you don't want to go to that effort the Ubiquiti Point to Point wifi stuff should do the job fine, cheap and easy to setup too.