1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to mod 3 cell battery to 6 cell?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Lem0n, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Lem0n

Lem0n Member

I recently bought a 9 cell battery for my netbook, but now find it too bulky and inconvenient.

I would like to know if it is possible to open up the 3 and 9 cell packs and convert the 3 cell into a 6 cell. Will this be hard? I've got zero experience with anything like this.

Cheers.

2. kjparker

kjparker Member

I seriously doubt this is possible.

to state the obvious 3, 6, 9 cell batteries are the number of physical cells in there, meaning that to convert the 3 cell battery to 6 cell, would require you to add another 3 cells.

To do this would mean that you would have to have space inside the battery to add them, which I would seriously doubt!

3. Hive

Hive Member

It's easy to wire them up, just add cells in paralell

4. chrispychipS

chrispychipS Member

I don't think it'd be worth your time, and as a WARNING Lithium batteries can be EXPLOSIVE.

Answer: Maybe.
    Only if you can find old/dead 3/6 cell battery compatible with your laptop for a cheap price/FREEE and prepared to lose the 9 cell battery in the event you fail.

5. EC MEISTER

EC MEISTER Member

6. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

7. AUST_DeVinE

AUST_DeVinE Member

could you sell your 9 cell on ebay for the same amount it would cost to buy a new 6 cell from ebay? or are you actually keen to do an experiment?

8. OP
    OP
    Lem0n

Lem0n Member

Ok, looks like I won't be doing this. For some reason I thought that the 6 cell battery is flush with my netbook case like the 3 cell, but I just had a look on ebay and they all have a bulge, so obviously there physically isn't going to be enough space inside the 3 cell pack to accommodate 3 more batteries.

This is strange because I swear some netbooks come with 6 cell batteries that are flush with the case, the reason why I thought they'd be enough space to mod the 3 cell and still keep everything tidy.

I think the cheapest/easiest/safest option would be to sell the 9 cell and try to get a 6 cell for a similar price. In the end, if the bulge is still going to be there, I'll just stick with the 9 cell and make use of the extra battery life.

9. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Cells can be of different sizes. Unfortunately with battery technology, Lithium-Ion/Polymer batteries really haven't gained a lot of energy to weight density over the last few years - the only way mobile devices are getting longer battery lives these days is with either more power efficient devices, larger batteries, or both.

I'm no expert on batteries, but this is my understanding.

And I think you will find that as well as being a physical impossibility, it's also an electrical impossibility. Most, if not all, modern lithium ion/polymer batteries have built in circuitry to regulate charging, provide information about the cells, even serial numbers and estimated recharge cycles left in the cells before they cease to hold a charge. These monitoring circuits are designed to work with a certain voltage, and when the number of cells inside the battery pack increases, in most cases so does its output voltage.

Lithium batteries are typically 3.7V (with a real world output of about 4V), this is for a single cell battery - like you find in a mobile phone. A two cell battery will be 7.4v, a 3 cell 11.1 and so on. So theoretically if you did try to modify a battery by adding more cells, you could fry the circuitry, in addition to causing an explosion which can be capable of taking at least a few of your fingers off (yes I have seen this happen). A battery will usually have a protective metal shroud to try and contain an explosion (this could be what causes some batteries to bulge but not explode - as they vent), but when you're modifying a battery, you have none of that protection.

Moral of the story: Don't go screwing around with batteries. If you're really concerned about battery life, buy a second battery and keep the other as a spare.