1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to power GPU card in HP server?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Quantum Flux, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Quantum Flux

Quantum Flux Member

I'm attempting to put a workstation graphics card in a HP DL560 G8 server.

The specs on the DL560 say that I need a special power cable (P/N 669777-B21), but the cable I am seeing in the pictures doesn't match the power outlet on the riser assembly.

Can anyone offer some guidance on how to power the card?

Click to view full size!

2. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Looks like it'll go into the PCI-E power port on the card though..

3. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

The cable you linked uses two SATA power connectors like those you'd need to power hard drives... The other end goes in to an 8 pin PCI-E connector. I can't quite tell but the card you're trying to use needs a 6-pin connector. Most 8-pin PCI-E power cables are compatible with 6-pin slots.

Anyway, there's nothing really fancy about the cable they want you to have, and it doesn't connect to the white 10-pin connector on the riser. If you have additional molex or SATA connectors from your PSU, you can just use these to power the video card providing there's enough power coming from the power supply.

Something like this for example.

edit: If you do need the 10-pin pci-e cable, this looks like the one you need. Costs a bit though :(

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  4. abishop

abishop Member

5. Renza

Renza Member

You could make your own if you can figure out the pinout of the connector on the riser.