.? how to remove game from n64

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by bigbrotherbig, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Kie

Kie Member

See, it's almost too horrible. Perhaps he bought an N64 with the game inside, but previous owner trolled OP by glueing the cartridge in the N64! Or perhaps he bought an N64 with the game inside, and is an idiot. Or perhaps he is a troll, and is an idiot!

2. mike-s

mike-s Member

Or is possibly too young to have ever had one and snapped this one up nice and cheaply without ever having used a cartridge based console before.

3. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

The real trick is getting the cartridges into the Wii.

4. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

+1

I found that the cartridge based consoles was better then their cd based counterparts mainly cause it's hard to find a faulty cartridge game these days even if they are 15 years old or more.

5. lithos

lithos Member

Plus, you know, no load screens.

You know, for the price of games today, it wouldn't be hard to put them on USB sticks. Yes, even a 32GB stick.

6. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

True it costs less then $5 probably too manufacture a 32gb usb flash drive so thats a better way.

7. lithos

lithos Member

Hell, if you go back to old-style sized carts, it might even be cheaper, since you don't have to dick around with miniaturisation as much, although I'm not sure just how much of a problem it would be.

8. Kie

Kie Member

PS Vita games are on sd-card size disks. Smallest games I've ever seen! That's pretty much where technology should be going!

9. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

how about cartridges the same size as a DVD case? Would look the same on the shelf...

10. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

The NES was quite large carts, I am not sure if there were any bigger ones, but they are big enough :)

I could never see myself using a cartridge the size of a dvd case lol

11. ZafaZ

ZafaZ Member

12. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

13. beckyboo

beckyboo New Member

I hate to burst everyones' bubble, but the cost of a 32gb stick is still MUCH more expensive than a 2-3 dvd's to manufacture, or 1 blu-ray for that matter. As a games producer why would spend more money to put it onto a memory stick/cart when optical storage is much less expensive ?

Answer : You don't.

Obviously the Vita is an exception, but that was mainly due to how much of a disaster Mini-discs and UMD's were for Sony.

14. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

cheapest flash drive i found was $14 on static ice so thats about $12ish ex GST

then they gotta put on a profit from wholesale cost from supplier, then supplier gotta factor in costs as well so probably its costs about $2 to make.

Also never did I state it was cheaper the DVD or Blu-ray media.

15. lithos

lithos Member

No, I didn't say it was cheaper than BD. But once Sony/MS/Nintendo start buying in bulk, I'm sure the cost per unit would drop.

Better for the consumer? Abso-friggin'-lutely. Much more resilient. No spin-up times, and then the consoles would have no moving parts, save for a fan or two.

Plus, I'm sure many a marketeer would relish the opportunity for custom housings with LEDs and shit on them. Packaging for the unit is also simpler; they could go back to cardboard boxes. You'd also need less of it.

And you could also go back to saving on the cart, not on external memory, HDD, or cloud.

The main problem, however, is with that "better for the consumer" thing, which is practically theft...

16. Muchoman1

Muchoman1 Member

Would certainly be better with flash memory

One of the things i hate(d) about my 360 PRO is the noise that it makes when playing off a disk, even a GTX 480 was quieter :Paranoid:

17. lithos

lithos Member

You could also permanently patch games: have the contents of the drive encrypted with a key known to the devs, publishers, and console makers and apply permanent patches to the original game itself, rather than simply have the data reapplied every time you put it on a new system.

18. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

You've obviously not owned a N64... they are bastards of things to get running reliably, because of the slot connector getting dirty / corroded and the games not booting up.

Most N64 users have worked out the trick is to blow on the game cart's connector before plugging it in. It usually works. EDIT: But this may be a placebo effect and/or cause further corrosion of the contacts (see DonutKing's post below)

I reckon disc based games are more reliable, but not more durable (if that makes sense)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  19. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Blowing into carts is actually bad for them in the long term.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/142550

As was said above - carts are not flawless. I've had a few I've had to actually open up so I can clean the contacts with an eraser and contact cleaner due to corrosion on the contacts. Not to mention replacing the save batteries, but that was more a limitation of technology at the time (I assume you would use flash memory now rather than battery backed SRAM)

I've also had to open consoles and bend the cartridge slot contacts in with a screw driver as they were making poor contact with the carts, and needed cleaning.

I agree that carts are better for the consumer as they are far more durable. But optical media is massively cheaper than a cart. Yes 32GB of flash memory may only cost a few dollars for the manufacturer, plus a PCB to hold it and the contacts and a plastic shell.... but an optical disc costs cents, at equal or better storage capacity. If you make 100,000 copies of a game a couple of extra dollars to make each copy suddenly becomes a significant chunk of money that you could have pocketed instead of going into manufacturing costs.

20. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Yeah - consider that they sold almost 8 MILLION copies of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (just one of the 300 or so games for the N64)... any small savings in production result in huge profits.