How to Schedule Podcasts & Other Downloads in iTunes on a Windows Machine.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by -Sk3tChY-, Apr 22, 2009.

1. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Well this is to help those who are interested, or who have ever thought: "Hey it would be nice if iTunes had a scheduler so I could download my podcasts during off-peak."

As most of you may already know, iTunes doesn't have any kind of built in scheduler, which can make downloading podcasts and what not rather annoying.

I was originally curious as to whether or not there was some type of add-on, or some way you could schedule downloads on iTunes and so did a quick google search to see what other people had come up with, and to my amazement have yet to come across anyone that has used my effective, yet simple method.

And so, without any further a-do I figured I'd share it with the rest of you, in the hope it will help others in the future.

It's really quite simple; note: These steps are for XP, however Vista shouldn't be much different, if at all.

1. Go to Control Panel.
    2. Go to Scheduled Tasks.
    3. Double click on Add A Scheduled Task.
    4. Add iTunes as the application you would like to schedule.
    5. Follow the Wizard, and specify how often, and when you'd like to have iTunes automatically start-up, preferably daily and during off-peak time. (You will get an error message and it WON'T work unless you specify a username and password to run the app, regardless of whether or not the user has a password, therefore you must create one to make this work.)

YOU SHOULD NOW HAVE AN ICON IN SCHEDULED TASKS THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS;

[​IMG]

CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE NOW HALF-WAY THERE, THIS WILL BASICALLY AUTOMATICALLY START UP ITUNES FOR YOU AT THE TIMES YOU SPECIFIED IN THE WIZARD.

7. Now, create a .txt file using Notepad in a directory somewhere safe, where you won't delete it called Taskkill iTunes.txt. (Alternatively you can call it what ever you like, this is just an example.)
    8. Open up this new .txt file and copy and paste the following text into it;
    Code:
    taskkill /im itunes.exe /f
    9. Save the file, and close notepad.
    10. Now change the extension of the file from .txt to .bat to convert it into a batch file, you should see the icon change. (You will have to have Hide Known File Extension un-checked in Tools > Folder Options > View to do this.)
    11. Go back into Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks and Add another Scheduled Task.
    12. This time, click Browse and go to the new Batch file you've created (Taskkill iTunes.bat if you followed my example) and add this.
    13. Follow the Wizard again, and schedule it to run whenever you'd like iTunes to automatically be terminated, preferably daily and when your on-peak time starts. (Again, make sure you include a user and password for it to work, otherwise you'll get an error message.)

YOUR SCHEDULED TASKS SHOULD NOW LOOK LIKE THIS;

[​IMG]

CONGRATULATIONS.. YOUR ITUNES SHOULD NOW STARTUP AND TERMINATE AUTOMATICALLY AT THE TIMES YOU SPECIFIED.. ALL YOU NEED TO DO NOW IS SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR FAVORITE PODCASTS AND THEY WILL AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOAD FOR YOU OVERNIGHT.

Enjoy.. :) I hope others find this useful, I've found this to be the easiest, quickest, and simplest way to schedule downloads on iTunes. Above all the part I really love about this method is the fact you don't need to download and install any other third party programs.

Note: I've purposely written this in a somewhat obvious, simplistic step-by-step method so that it can be useful for the less computer literate people who may come across this thread via a google search.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009