[WIN10] How to setup no password/no signin screen

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Sorak, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Sorak

Sorak Member

Just recently migrated from Win7. WTF is this OS now? (I know I'm a few years late to the party)
    Windows 10 Pro
    Version 20H2
    build 19042.685
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 what ever the hell that means.

/rant
    I had to find a youtube tutorial in order to install a non verified software because every option within UAC did jack shit to allow me to install. Had to disable UAC through regedit in order for it to finally release its' grasp and give me control.
    /rant

I've been trying to disable the password/sign in screen that windows 10 has. Every single link, youtube video or help page tells me to go to netplwiz. Problem is, my version for what ever reason doesn't even have the check box they all say needs to be unticked.

When I turn on my PC I want to see the desktop, not a sign-in screen with 4 links to microsoft products asking me "do you like what you see" click here for more crap. Don't want or need a password.

Appreciate the assistance.

2. money_killer

money_killer Member

fresh install is always best

3. OP
    OP
    Sorak

Sorak Member

This IS a fresh install.

4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

So I've been on Windows 10 for a long while so it's probably something I turned off long ago, but can't say I have had any issues with that. Spending time with both Windows and OSX I'm used to the OS trying to protect itself from users and no doubt I tried to install something non verified on day one... but don't recall ever having to go to regedit lengths!

As for no password, am I correct in understanding this only works with a local account and not a Microsoft account?

5. atmo

atmo Member

Sorak likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Sorak

Sorak Member

There we go, many thanks, had to do another regedit workaround to unfuck this. They really went out of their way to make it difficult. They neutered every single help page with the latest build.

Microsoft employee: "I worked so hard on the lock screen functionality and these people are making work arounds and no one will see my hard work. better make it so this new version doesn't have this feature anymore. then maybe my parents will love me"

Thanks for that link.

7. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

hah... took me hours to figure this one out! You're definitely not alone there

8. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Hah, just had a look and I'm missing all the mentioned options on a fairly fresh install of 20H2, yet my PC starts up without asking for a password by default.

Guess it's due to me physically disconnecting the internet during install to get a local account with no password and bypass the microsoft account shenanigans..

They really have made a complete mess out of windows consistency wise.

upload_2021-1-10_17-24-35.png

Sorak likes this.