How to spammers text you without a number?

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by Kommandant33, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Hey all,

I have had a few texts come through from Spammers that don't have a number, for example this one came through as "Woolworths" - How can they do this? It appears to be an iMessage, but I could be wrong.

Do I just block the number and move on? Or is there some way of finding out where it has come from - either a mobile number or an email?

Thanks! iMessage.jpg

2. power

power Member

sms gateways

also add your number to the DNCR - should drop the amount.

also never give your number to random things.

Kommandant33 likes this.
  3. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

This post on whirlpool seems to describe how they do it, basically as power says it's a non-mobile device sending the message, such as an SMS gateway. I get them every now and then but not often enough to install any third party apps in an attempt to block them.

As an aside, you probably already know this, but you can edit the bottom row of icons in iMessage by scrolling to the far right and selecting '...', and you can hide that bottom row altogether by clicking the grey App store icon next to the camera icon. I'm not sure why Apple thought it necessary to clutter up iMessage with so many garish icons by default.

Kommandant33 likes this.
  4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Idiots could at least get your name right !! Not sure how you would block them, since the number is private. I wonder if Vodafone could track it down, or watch your account, but it might be easier to just delete it and move on. I assume you can't block private numbers for business reasons? I just block all private numbers, all of the people I want to talk to don't have them.

Kommandant33 likes this.