How to talk sister in law out of buying a Mac?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Deanemau5, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Deanemau5

Deanemau5 Member

She's a school teacher and personally I think another Windows laptop would be better suited for her. She already has a lot of software for it, knows her way around it (she was just asking her sister on Facebook how to burn a dvd with a Mac lol) and if anything goes wrong with a Mac neither my brother or myself will be able to help her with it as we've never used one ourselves.

She has an iPad and uses it a lot (especially for Facetime etc) and also an iPhone. I think the main reason she wants a Mac is due to marketing etc. I don't want to turn this into another Mac vs PC thread, I know they both suit different people with different uses, but in this case I think it would be much easier to just stick with Windows.

So how do I break this marketing spell that Apple has cast upon her?

2. garetz

garetz Member

The only way people learn is from making mistakes. Luckily apple has a 7 day money back guarantee. So if she doesnt enjoy using it, she can just return it for a full refund.

3. vltrb-0

vltrb-0 Member

old lady sucked in by marketing too, on pc had to help her once a week with it, after getting a mac book air haven't heard from her in months

4. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Marketing doesn't work without a solid product behind it.

If something goes wrong, she has Apple to contact, which is part of why Macs sell well is that it's a one-stop shop (regardless of those friend of a friend stories where Apple fucked it up).

Everyone I know who has got a Mac hasn't regretted it.

5. OP
    OP
    Deanemau5

Deanemau5 Member

Look I'm not here to discuss whether or not a Mac would suit her more than a PC, I just want to know how to talk her out of getting one

6. Hyram

Hyram Member

You don't. Macs need little to no support, as they're essentially self-maintaining. If she does, there's Apple and a very large, very very friendly Mac community-at-large who'll love to help. Sure they cost more up front. So do BMWs. But the cost over time is much, much less, with a much much longer usable life-span.

People buy Macs because they get what they don't want. They don't want a grillion features, they don't want tweakability, they don't want to learn new stuff and they don't want problems. What they do want is their technology to be invisible, and to work the way they do.

Besides, she can still run Windows when she needs to. Shit, she can run OSX and Windows simultaneously if she wanted to, and drag-n-drop stuff from a window on the Mac side to a window on the Windows site (or vice versa).

"Whoever said you can't have it all, doesn't use a Mac."

7. csimpson

csimpson Member

If she's a school teacher, she'd be smart to buy a Mac. They're becoming increasingly popular in education and most schools' IT departments have plenty of hands-on experience for troubleshooting and integrating them into teachers' workflow.

Plus, for people that don't like mucking around with computers, they just work. Much more streamlined than almost any Windows notebook that I've used.

PLUS, if she buys a Windows notebook now, it's going to have Windows 8 on it, which is a steeper learning curve from Windows 7 than moving to a Mac in the first place.

8. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

So, you want us to help you control your sister so she conforms to your views because yours are better? Nice brother :lol:

I tell you what, your asshattery aside, to help convince someone you need to put your arguments into a context they will understand but they need to be legit or any amount of research on her behalf will backfire. Going from the tiny argument you've presented so far, and ignoring the tedious and empty marketing spiel, you have:

1. Lack of local technical support - She won't be able to get the rapid support she's used to by you and your brother because neither of you are familiar with the OS (shit excuse to be honest, learn it ffs, it's about a 10 minute learning curve).

2. Apple Eco system - She'll have to spend extra money to get all the functionality she presently has in her windows systems. No more 'linux isos' to help with the cost.

3. Cost of the platform - Apple's have a higher total cost of ownership in comparison to Windows machines. If the Mac isn't performing well enough then it would cost substantially more to upgrade it and DIY is far less of an option if the warranty is still in effect. This still applies to Windows boxes but is far far easier to circumvent.

Sit down with her, go through her current applications on her Windows box which are must haves and price them up on her Mac. Factor in the replacement/upgrade cost vs. a Windows box.

But this has to weigh against the excellent eco system that Apple have developed, the really high standards of their post-sales support, the simplicity of the OS and the extremely high production values of the product itself.

She then has to decide what is more important.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  9. decryption

decryption Member

She has an iPhone and an iPad, and really likes them, yet, you're surprised she wants a Mac and you're blaming "marketing"? How about the fact Apple have made products she likes to use and trusts them to make a computer she'd like to use too?

10. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Just don't.

She will probably get far more enjoyment out of a mac. There is more to it than just whiz bang marketing, your just being bigoted.

11. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

No no no, he doesn't want to hear the truth, Apple are evil!

12. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Yeah I wouldn't go down this path. If she's got an iPad, and an iPhone, then they will integrate relatively well into the newer OSX, making the whole lot a comfortable combination. And there's the Genius Bar and AppleCare should she need them.

I wouldn't be telling her no because you don't like them and don't understand them. Let her go to an Apple store and try them out, if she buys one then she's obviously comfortable enough with the interface to start learning more from there. It's her computer, not yours. :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    Deanemau5

Deanemau5 Member

Has the whole world gone mad???

14. thebranded

thebranded Member

why talk her out? if she wants a mac, let her get a mac.

If you some how talk her out of it, every day she opens her laptop she will wish it was a mac.

as for you helping her us a mac instead of a pc, there is not that much difference really.

but i guess to your question. show her a pc and a mac side by side and run through the stuff she wants to do. then she can see which is better/faster/easier etc.

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

Lol. No. Just no.

At any rate let her do what she wants, but educate her. Make sure she goes and USES a Macbook in store for 5-10 minutes. Trying out things like Pages/Word for Mac and seeing how the whole lot works.

I do the same for people in the "Android vs iPhone vs everything else" department. Really the end result in that comparison is that a Phone rings people - how you get there doing it is what matters and both devices get there differently but the experience is different.

And a computer drives facebook, email and types up the occasional document - both Windows and OSX will achieve these goals, the experience will be slightly different.

In terms of is a Macbook inherently more reliable that a PC? or Windows? No. its not.

Can you install more shit on Windows that breaks it? Definitely. Can you buy cheap, shitty laptops that break more regularly than a Macbook? Certainly. Can you buy equivalent build quality machines to a Macbook? Yes, but no-one wants to know about these machines.

16. tzortst

tzortst Member

No you are just naive, and narrow minded by the sounds of things.

A mac would be perfect for her, and will integrate well with her iphone and ipad. The thing is just work 99% of the time, she will pick it up very quickly and a lot quicker than you would on a windows machine.

17. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

18. OP
    OP
    Deanemau5

Deanemau5 Member

19. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

OP why dont you want your sister to get a Mac? You says support but it seems to be anti-Apple fanboism. Seriously she is old enough to make her own decisions in life.

20. HunterBunter

HunterBunter Member

And if all that fails, appeal to her irrational side:

http://my.firedoglake.com/sixgill/2012/01/22/evil-corporations-never-buy-another-apple-product/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...st-at-Apple-manufacturer-Foxconn-factory.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ker-Chinese-iPad-iPhone-supplier-Foxconn.html

They're ultra capitalist, anti-competitive and behaving utterly unethically imho. Microsoft was massacred for this sort of behavior in the past, and even then I don't think anyone killed themselves over making their products.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012