How worth it are IPS/VA monitors compared to TN?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Jackolow, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

I think this belongs more in the photography forum rather than the monitor forum or what to buy forum.

I'm in the market to find a 24" monitor and I posted a comment in another thread asking what is the difference between a IPS and a VA monitor. Essentially I know that its essentially down to 8-bit (IPS) or 6-bit with dithering. However if on specification values alone, TN monitors are rated at higher constrasts and response times than IPS/VA, then why do people still continue to buy IPS?

Now a significant portion of people here would have forked over the premium (Which is pretty major, and starts at roughly double the price). I'm wondering after colour calibration and having a stationary positioning of the monitor (so viewing angle doesn't really come into play. Or does it?), how much better (in terms of value) is it to have the more expensive 8-bit screen?

I do quite a bit of photoshop work for uni and I am kind of into my photography (well I am more photo journalistic than photo artist with my photography) so I guess I should get into colour matching just for being able to get prints out. However I'm a person who doesn't really print out my photos and when I do, its usually the $5 10x15" prints from Rabbit photo (so nothing amazing). With this in mind, is there a real reason for my to go for a more expensive screen? Can I even get the information for Rabbit photo printers so I know what to calibrate to?

2. berek

berek Member

VA can also be 8 bit i.e dell's 2408. Think of it like buying fuji velvia over bunnings superhappycolor. At 6x4 you'd not care but what if you wanted to send something out to print? You'd not be able to produce the best image because the panel isn't showing you a true likeness.

3. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Sorry if this seems like a hijack, but i think it relates.

I have a BenQ 1080p monitor (21.x") and I want to calibrate it to get the best image likness for printing. I was wondering if there are any good software ONLY apps available out there, and how good do they compare to something like the spyder systems? I don't mind about spending a few hours calibrating and getting it right, its really the outcome I care about. :thumbup:

4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

The BenQ LCD i'm guessing is the E2200HD which is a 6Bit TN panel. Software calibration will only give you what your eyes think is correct and does not accurately calibrate the monitor.

Basically 6Bit panels has poor viewing angle and color reproduction. They're great for gaming due to the fast response time. If you have the money go for the 8bit panels. In the long run it's worth it.

5. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

there is software out there that you can use to calibrate your printer to monitor but not for True calibration like the Spyder.

The reason for this is without a benchmark (a properly calibrated monitor) you wont be able to calibrate it with the human eye.

I would recommend just borrowing a Spyder from one of the forum members here.

Even the spider takes about 15 minutes to calibrate so you can imagine how long based on the human eye.

If you did want to do it using the human eye then i would get a calibrated photo from one of the members here, get it printed at a professional printer then by eye adjust your monitor to what looks as close as possible.

6. spikenet

spikenet Member

is that possible? I'd be interested, even happy to pay some $$

7. dlcx

dlcx Member

The difference in colour accuracy/banding is noticeable when compared to a TN panel. If you see a photo on a good IPS such as an Eizo etc it looks amazing.
    A good place to compare (if possible!) is to go to PMA when it is your neck of the woods. Not knowing where you live I can't say for sure if it will be there any time soon, but if it is, definitely check it out - they will have the NEC/Eizo IPS displays there (register early for free entry)

I think most people spending money on an IPS for graphics/photo editing aren't interested in a hit in FPS lag (or will take the hit in favour of higher quality editing)

I would love to have an IPS display but couldn't justify the price.
    Ended up with a Dell 2408WFP - sits in the middle between TN and IPS (its S-PVA and displays 110% colour gamut) and the lag isn't too bad for me, although some may be more sensitive to it.
    It's got loads of connections too, including display port and HDMI (I play XBOX 360 on it too)
    It's a really nice screen and you can get it for a decent prices when they have specials. I bought it through these member on these forums who works for Dell, also includes premium 5 year warranty.

If you aren't super precious about lag, and want something better than TN, definately check out the 2408WFP.

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I actually have a TN-Panel (ASUS 22"), Samsung PVA Panel (Dell 2405) and an IPS (Eizo CG19) sitting next to each other at home. TN panel look really shit. I use it for putting my tool bars and web browsers on. The 2405 is where I do all my editing etc. Final color proofing is done on the Eizo. 2405 does a decent job for my need. But for any print related final proofing i use the calibrated eizo. Works great. :D

In comparison the 2405 is fine for 95% of what I do. Rarely do I need prints. It looks great. :)

So an IPS panel is not really neccesary unless it's not that much more expensive say compared to your PVA panels. Only reason why I got mine was because it only cost me $300+GST which I simply could not pass up. :D

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  9. DiZZ_19

DiZZ_19 Member

Spend as much as you can justify on a good monitor.

Alot of people of in this thread think a quality monitor was one of their best purchases.

10. dlcx

dlcx Member

I agree 100% with this... wow $300 for an Eizo!!! Awesome buy.

11. OP
    OP
    Jackolow

Jackolow Member

This is a generic question for everyone (as in, hobbyist photographers).. but how often do you guys send your stuff out to print? I only need colour matching.. maybe only 4 more times for actual assessment... but I'm starting to swing towards the expensive monitor anyway.

12. MATTATHOME

MATTATHOME Member

yep I love how he worked that in again:D:D lol.

Dont Dell have a new 20" IPS panel?

MATT

13. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

hehehehe every chance I get. :D

14. Alpha2k6

Alpha2k6 Member

What about LED displays are they better than LCD for viewing photos ?

Ive seen that Apple have one of the first such displays.. its on the expensive side 894 USD, on amazon.com.

Apple 24-inch LED Cinema Display
    http://www.apple.com/displays/

15. proffesso

proffesso Member

i have TN next to my nec 2490wuxi...the TN is horrible, I hate the color, and especally the color shift with viewing angles. thats a big reason i love s-ips so much, no matter the angle its always the same color.

I dont play pc games, so I cant comment on lag, but I do 3d, and there is no ghosting at all.

I chose the nec over the eizo because its a sligtly better screen. I couldnt eyeball the difference, but after reading reviews the nec was the better choice.

although im the only person using the nec in the studio, everyone else has Eizo's here, but I eizo's are cheaper than nec here :/

LED displays are better again, but only if paired to a good panel. so a LED backlit S-IPS is the best of both worlds, and I think the Samsung XL20 / 24 / 30 are IPS, but possibly s-pva...but they still look great.

the apple is cheap...$900US for a led backlit screen is "very" cheap...the samsung XL24 for example is 2k+

16. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

As said, TN panels are terrible particularly in viewing angle dependency. colour reproduction is usually pretty bad but sometimes ok. a couple of lagom tests highlight this very well.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

my lp2475w passes all of the test with flying colours, whereas typical Acer TN does exactly what their example pics show, purple alternates between purple and quite blue and the viewing angle text going green/orange. this result in even a calibrated TN being a bad idea for graphics editing imo.

Besides anyone can afford IPS now with the new Dell 2209wa at about $400 after discount codes. checkout first review, and again look how terrilble TN is in comparison for viewing angles resulting in poor colour reproduction (nevermind even 6bit etc).

http://translate.google.com.au/tran...l+2209WA+input+lag&hl=en&safe=off&sa=G&pwst=1