1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

HP Dock G5 and Macbook Air (2020)

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Steak Face, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Steak Face

Steak Face Member

Hi all,

I've done some research but not really found a definitive answer, and I find it all a bit confusing.

I have a work laptop, current HP Elitebook, with a HP G5 dock at home. My wife needs a new laptop and would like to replace her old MacBook Air with the current model.

Since we have the dock set-up it would be logical to get a laptop that can also be used with the dock, primarily for the 27" screen.

While HP Website says the G5 should be compatible with MacBooks, I'd like to know for sure that it will work and some research gets mixed results.

Ultimately I'd be happy if the MacBook Air, while connected to the G5 via USB-C, will charge, be able to output one screen at 2560*1440 (benq sw2700pt) and USB ports work for external keyboards etc.

Can anybody confirm this or point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

2. Renza

Renza Member

Should be fine, you'll just need to install the DisplayLink drivers on the mac for the monitors to work. It's not as good as using monitors directly, but if you're already used to displaylink with your work laptop, it'll be no worse :)

3. OP
    OP
    Steak Face

Steak Face Member

Ok thanks, I didn’t have to install anything on the work laptop for it to work.... maybe windows has that installed by default.

4. Renza

Renza Member

yep windows will pull down the drivers it needs, the Mac will need to install them yourself.