1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

HP Envy

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by t00|, Jan 5, 2012.

1. t00|

t00| Member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. arc888

arc888 Member

The radiance screen apparently has problems displaying red i.e. very poor colour reproduction. A lot of people are complaining about it.

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

If you want precision colour and portable workstation go for HP Elitebook or Dell Preicision or Lenovo Thinkpad W520 series. Also depends on what you want out of a notebook. Student/Gamer/Portable Workstation/Media device.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  4. OP
    OP
    t00|

t00| Member

Would be a desktop replacement

Photoshop/Media editing/Web/ Few games here and there, nothing too demanding. Not too fussed about weight and thickness etc. Would like a nice screen with good colour for movies

5. arc888

arc888 Member

6. OP
    OP
    t00|

t00| Member

Ergh, thats bad!

I found one in JB hifi but had no time to play with it. Maybe tomorrow I can head in and have a better look.

I might have to stick to a new desktop for now, seems to cost just as much for a new tower as a laptop with the specs I want. I know at a high end I wont get that thin laptop feeling i'm after either :\

Maybe a tablet on the side :)

7. Carey

Carey Member

I have an older envy 15, bought it as a refurb Feb 2011 and found it great. My scrren doesn't have that issue though, maybe it's on newer models? My screen is a 1080 15", I really like it.

Being an older i7 820 (ie no sandy bridge), it uses loads of battery and can get very hot underneath, but it's powerful and portable, which is what I needed.

If the screen in the JB unit is good and they can offer you a replacement warranty, then you'd probably like it. However, if portability isn't really necessary, then you'd most likely save some money with a bulkier laptop, maybe something from LBO or affordable laptops?

That new envy looks really sweet though.

8. thebranded

thebranded Member

The Envy range is aimed as a portable desktop replacement, slim but powerful. Other modles suffered in batteary life (i too have a i7 820) but new ones are much better.

but as a pure desktop replacement i would not get it, you can get as powerful but heavier and thicker units but at a cheaper price.