HP ML10 V2

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by cuahtemoc, Apr 17, 2016.

1. julianvk

julianvk Member

Hey

Yes i can confirm that this processor works, i have set up ESXI 6.5 and it appears to be running fine for now. Will see what happens when i stretch it's legs although i do plan on purchasing a proper Xeon eventually. Just wanted something that supports VT-d so i can pass through TV tuner cards.

2. craigcurtin

craigcurtin Member

8GB RAM Sticks

Guys,

ANyone have a link for the best option for 8GB RAM sticks that will work in these ?

Want to replace my N54L cluster with two of these with 32GB RAM each

Craig

3. chip

chip Member

I reckon the stock CPU is better than the 1220L if it's just a NAS/file server. The idle power difference is something like 5 watts, so your payoff time will be several years (assuming 24/7 operation).

The 1220Lv3 does have have all the virtualisation support the stock Pentium lacks.

4. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

For best compatibility look for ECC Unbuffered 1rx8 PC3-12800 or above ram. Unfortunately 8G ecc sticks are expensive.

5. julianvk

julianvk Member

I increased my memory using these http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct102472bd160b and they worked for me

6. atmo

atmo Member

I'm running Kingston KVR16E11/8I sticks with no problems.

7. craigcurtin

craigcurtin Member

thanks for the answers guys

Looks like i am up for around $80 stick at the best price i can find so 8 sticks are going to set me back about $650 or so

Craig

8. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

Can anyone confirm if it is possible to boot from a USB thumb drive without the 10-pin hard drive power connected ?

9. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Do you really need 32Gb ram? The CPU is not good for lots of vm's anyway.

10. craigcurtin

craigcurtin Member

Yep longer term intend to replace the CPU with XEON

You are right would not like to max it out with VMs with the standard CPU.

Currently have about a dozen different VMs running on a cluster of 4 x N54Ls.

Need a bit more processor speed for individual VMs, so intend to replace all 4 of N54 over time with two of these boxes with XEONs and 32GB RAM

Craig

11. k3nnis

k3nnis Member

Hi Guys,

Can the ML10v2 run a 69W TDP E1230v2 cpu fine at 100% load?

Thanks,
    K.

12. chip

chip Member

It won't run it at all. The ML10v2 will only take Haswell/socket 1150 chips. The 1230v2 is an Ivy Bridge / socket 1155 chip.

13. k3nnis

k3nnis Member

Thanks. Which Xeon CPU would be best bang for buck for the ml10v2? For being a plex media server and also to runs couple of VM's.

14. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

The stock G3240 is fine.

15. k3nnis

k3nnis Member

Ok thanks. But I heard I can only transcode 1 x 1080p stream using this processor? I need to do about 2 or 3 at once

16. TripleJ85

TripleJ85 Member

I dropped an i5-4670k in mine this week (picked it up on OCAU forums for $130) and although not officially supported - it runs great and cost me a lot less than something like an E3 1220 v3. I guess ECC may not be functioning? but I'm not too worried in a home environment.

Frustratingly - I found the source for my poor VM performance after the CPU upgrade. The default "Dynamic Power Savings Mode" crippled VM performance (CPU benchmarks about 4x difference(!)) but "OS Control Mode" is running great.

I'm running mine on Solaris 11 with zfs and Windows/Linux VM guests.

If you want 2 cores, 4 threads, low power consumption but relatively low clock speeds - the E3-1220L V3 can be picked up for about $60 on Aliexpress / Ebay

Otherwise - see how the stock Pentium goes for you and look at upgrading to a Haswell i5 or i7

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  17. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Trying to install Windows again and I remember why I put this thing away and got a NUC instead. I have to be missing something basic, but for the life of me I absolutely cannot get the bastard of a thing to boot a stock standard flash drive with Windows Server 2016 on it. I think the last time I gave up and used iLO instead, which is a bit of a problem where I live because I currently have no access to ethernet, at least not easily (it is coming soon to the walls though because we're all over using wifi for literally everything).

I have to be missing something, and it's driving me up the fucking wall. I would have expected these sorts of problems on a server 15 years ago when the concept of installing an OS from a flash drive basically didn't exist, not a server from 15 fucking months or weeks ago.

What am I doing wrong? How the hell do you install Windows from a flash drive on these things?

Tossing this for the NUC is probably the best $250 I've ever spent on a computer. I had Windows up and running on that thing in 20 minutes. I've been struggling with the HP on and off for about 3 weeks. What am I doing that's so impossibly wrong?

18. julianvk

julianvk Member

Have you tried changing the hard drive priority, I know sometimes USB drives are shown as Hard disks instead of a USB disk

Otherwise i'll see if i can replicate it on mine

Otherwise if you really hate the thing so much, maybe i can buy it off you!

19. k3nnis

k3nnis Member

What OS do you recommend if all I want to do is: Plex Media Server, Ubiquity Unifi controller.

Windows server ?

I currently have a Synology DS414 NAS which can hold 4 HDD's, I was thinking keeping the NAS as it is and have the HP point to the NAS for Plex Media Server or should I move the HDD's into the HP and have the HP as the NAS and get rid of the synology?

Is the HP ML10V2 loud? I will put it in the study room.

Thanks,
    Kenn.

20. Raykay

Raykay Member

I'm using windows 10 to run my server. For a basic server setup, Windows 10 Pro is plenty sufficient. I run plex server, torrent and share drives. Works incredibly well.